Why become a member? ×

Between the JB and P Bass, Preference?

ChWillie

I have 3 Jazz Basses—Fender American Pro, a Fender American Std converted to fretless, and a G&L American 5 string.  

I love them and equally love my AmPro Precision’s sound and often think of getting an AmPro JB neck for it.

Something about the punchiness of the Precision might make it slightly more appealing to me.  

which do you prefer and why?

25EC5FF6-7BBC-42E1-9E77-D49135F338A4.thumb.jpeg.ee6c8c8de2aae414ef229d34e83bcc7f.jpeg33153EDE-E25B-43AF-8BD1-365D52174CB4.thumb.jpeg.a33e8c758c397bf3e8bffd041a77dbd9.jpeg6A599A7F-1B18-4F17-8682-151729C92942.thumb.jpeg.938d52c4c8a49e11af35f79ba7f985f3.jpeg

I prefer the ergonomics and size of the P bass. I'm not a fan of the J bass bridge pickup soloed, but as a blend it does help where the bass sits in the mix, at least live anyway. So P/J for me.*

*I'm off to remove the fence from my posterior. 🤣

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:
45 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Likes a Classic Simple P Bass... My bitsa ha a Jazz Neck. But also like the Jazz body, but have gone Jazz PJ... Best of Both and makes a change from a P PJ...

Jazz1.thumb.jpg.af00d0e5bc2f21e0d4b6bc43fa929c54.jpgJazz2.thumb.jpg.3779902ba3bcd17fed31ae814ea84a80.jpg

Nice basses!

I know some people think a PJ is a compromise, but to me it's the best of both worlds

I also prefer the ergonomics of a Jazz so a Jazz PJ would probably be ideal for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have one of each and refuse to choose. If a house fire only gave me time to save one it would be my P because it's a little bit rarer(ash body). Love the sound of fenders but generally hate the feel. But I found a couple with U shaped necks like my Spector and now everything's great but still can't make a choice. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TrevorG said:

Have one of each and refuse to choose. If a house fire only gave me time to save one it would be my P because it's a little bit rarer(ash body). Love the sound of fenders but generally hate the feel. But I found a couple with U shaped necks like my Spector and now everything's great but still can't make a choice. 

Presumably the PJ would also have an ash body if left behind in a house fire.

Sorry.  Someone had to be the smart alec so it may as well be me.

• Haha 6

I have both and like them equally. It just depends on what particular sound I’m after either recording or at a gig.

Frankly, at a gig most folks can’t tell the difference so then it comes down to body shape for me. I prefer the P body shape.

• Like 2

16697328958774650977448467102378.thumb.jpg.8969d2e2990e3230af777772a1475f26.jpgI have a Taiwan built Squier P Bass and  CV Squier Jazz. I like them both but haven't has enough playing time with either yet as I have many other basses. Of the two the Jazz is the one I reach for. The P bass is nice and only cost me £50 so you can't grumble at that. I wasn't looking for a P bass but it just popped up on Gumtree so I bought it.

I do like the slim Jazz neck. Heavy but nice to play. Also very fond of my G&L's.

Sorry to be so vague. Too hard to choose. 🤔20220913_143443.thumb.jpg.e2316c8ccd850cb1ee5382c43ad9cc0d.jpg20211021_113141.thumb.jpg.bb5e898bc9e076192a6fc87abecce313.jpg

Edited by Ralf1e
Add photo
  • Like 1

As you see from my signature, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Precision player. The Jazz bass I have simply because I'm a sucker for CAR with a matching headstock. It is rarely played and the body shape is really awkward to my eyes.

Generally, I find a Jazz neck a bit narrow. That said, the B profile on all my Precisions is only a little wider, but significantly so for me. Similarly, sonically, the Precision does everything I want a bass to do.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 3

Jazz bass has a nicer neck and is more flexible, but my vote goes to the P. It has an inherent 'body' and thickness to the tone which just underpins a band better than a Jazz, IMO (I say this as somebody who solely owns a Deluxe Active Jazz at the moment).

No matter what I do, Jazzes just have an inherent scoop to them which make it harder to punch through in a band setting (in my experiences). If I roll back to the back pickup, the tone is way too thin and makes you sound like a Jaco impersonator. The front pickup is a slightly worse facsimile of the P-Bass tone. However, they do have a bit more 'pop' and are great for slap bass type sounds - Disco, Funk etc.

Edit - I prefer the smaller body of the Precision too.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

I've owned a Precision since March 1969, so you could say I'm biased, but while my current Mike Lull Precision is an amazing instrument, my Sadowsky Jazz is my favourite bass of all time. Not because it's a Jazz bass but because of the pickups and preamp. They create a huge sound.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Frankly, at a gig most folks can’t tell the difference so then it comes down to body shape for me. I prefer the P body shape.

You are so right.  And like you, I play the right one for the job.  And there’s such a difference between my JBs that I have even more choice.   

One of the reasons I asked the question in the first place is that it seems so many more players prefer the JB, and Fender seems to offer more of them than P basses.  Most here prefer the Precision.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I've owned a Precision since March 1969, so you could say I'm biased, but while my current Mike Lull Precision is an amazing instrument, my Sadowsky Jazz is my favourite bass of all time. Not because it's a Jazz bass but because of the pickups and preamp. They create a huge sound.

I’d love to try one of those.  

Precision bass every time for me.  There are several reasons why I prefer a P. 

1. weight - generally Js are too heavy.  There are lightweight ones but then

2. I prefer the look and feel of a P over a J

3. Sound.  I've tried lot of basses over the years and sold most of them.  Their only crime is that they weren't P basses.  Just something ablout them I like, the way they sit in the context of the band.  if I've ever had a P/J I will tend to just use the split coil.

There was a time when the narrower neck of a J made me try more of them but, again over the years, this doesn't seem to be so important now.   I'd say my optimum for a 4 string would be 40mm but happy a couple of mm either way.

• Like 1