Why become a member? ×

Fender, Where is the Value?

Chienmortbb

I was just drooling over a white Aerodyne Precision and wondered if it is worth £1300? TO create context, I bought a Black Aerodyne jazz bass as a personal import from Japan in 2003. It cost me just over £400 plus about £75 in duties and charges. Was that worth it? Yes they were going for £1000 here and I love that bass. Since then, I have bought and sold a number of basses costing less than that, and each one was more than gigable. I am currently gigging a Marcus Miller M2 at £270 from Thomann, cheaper than a decent Sqeuir*. My third bass and again very gigable is a Peavey P bass. It cost £50 2nd hand and has a superb neck. So what are Fender, especially USA ones, worth?

* deliberate misspelling of a Fender missspelling

49 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

, cheaper than a decent Sqeuir*.

* deliberate misspelling of a Fender missspelling

Its not a fender misspelling - it is the name of Mr Victor Carroll Squier, who I guess knew how to spell his own name, especially as his girls middle name is also spelt* incorrectly :D

* deliberate british english form of spelled.

But on the main point, of course fenders cost too much for what they are, but they have to support a company and people buy them, so I guess they aren't too much after all.

Tune in for next weeks episode, "Are rickenbackers good value for money?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting this.

I'm a bit of a Fender fan boi but I've recently been looking for a non PJ with slimmer neck.

The most obvious is the Nate Mendel but by accident I saw/heard the following bit of soundcheck.

I knew the neck profile was good, had a chat with the bass player who I've sort of known for 50 years and it's now in a rack behind me.

This Bass Collection Power Bass is beautifully made, sounds great, is easy to play & less than half the price of a Nate.

1st gig with it tomorrow night.

https://www.facebook.com/lin.davies.7902/videos/1270060980436930

• Like 4

I nearly only play fenders now, I’ve had many other brands but always ended up shelving or selling them and going back to a jazz or precision, which makes it easier to shop for basses 😁, I would say every US one I’ve got or had has been worth the money, these days I tend not to look at the resale value but rather what it’s worth to me

• Like 3

You need to define what value means for you, I think. Are you going to get the most bass for your money? Probably not, but it will likely hold its value in the second hand market more than a lot of brands. Some people like having the brand attached, and that's ok too. (Would I buy one? No, but ymmv.)

I dont know about most other models of Fender bass, but the JMJ mustang is a bit special and Fender mostly got everything right—certainly the feel and the tone are outstanding and none of my other basses come close. The price might seem high for what was originally designed to be a student instrument, but I'm seriously considering getting a black one to keep my blue one company.

• Like 1

I don't see much value in Fenders except with resale, even then only if you've bought it used in the first place.

That said you can still take a hit with 2nd hand, not many folk clamouring to buy Dimension models.

I like the look of the AV II 54 but £2050 is a hell of a price, then there's the fact demand for chubby neck single coil P-bass is limited. You could lose £500 if selling on.

For that £500 hit I could easily build a 51/54 style P-bass. Truth be told with £500 I could , and have, build 2 of them 🙂

• Like 6

I don't know about Fender USA as I only buy cheap stuff for now. If the argument is "why should I buy a Fender over £1000 when a Sire is perfectly giggable" then maybe the same may be said for other expensive brands I guess?

As for Fender's cheap stuff (Squier) I get the point but in the end I have two Squier Affinity/Made in China (one PJ 2021, a P 2008) and another one coming (P from 2000).

They come up often and cheaply in the used market, they have some fundamental elements that I want there (being a P bass of reasonable weight and reasonably shaped neck), and upgrades if needed are easy (you can get amazing P pickups for cheap, tuners often need replacing anyway in cheap basses independently of the brand).

I have to admit the 2 PJs I have had were fraught with problems (while the 2008 one is absolutely perfect for what it is). I am slowly working through the issues of my current PJ (the other was returned).

I tried other "value for money" brands. But it has not worked out for me so far. Sire supposedly has an incredible QC? I had a V5 and fretwork was bumpy, plus it was heavy and pickups were not of my liking. A Sire V7fl I ordered from Thomann had a knob not working and I could not adjust pickup height. For that price I was not impressed (it was also heavy and leaned a lot on the preamp while Iike passive) and I returned it for good instead of getting a replacement. I bought a Harley Benton JN75fl which, yes, was incredible value for thay little money but it was incredibly heavy and a neck diver. Really too heavy. Plus the neck was a baseball bat. Nothing wrong with it, I ended up liking it, but maybe not what I would expect if I buy a J. I also had a HB HB2005fl, stupidly heavy despite being fairly "compact", puckups were meh and of a funny shape hard to replace. Plus the neck was quite sensitive to temperature/humidity change - not alarming, but not among the best I jad in that sense.

I have had much better experiences with Cort and Ibanez, but they tend to do skinny necks and active basses so not my thing at this stage.

So I guess at the end of the day my point is that Squire may not be the best value for money but buying a cheap bass is not wonderland anyway if you are fussy. If you just want a P or a J they can be a good place to start, as long as you trust the seller or can return (which is always a good approach)

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 2

It seems like marginal gains, for quite a lot more money than the player series the USA ones are a bit better. But they hold their value well (if bought second hand), so if you have the spare £ it probably is 'worth' it. 

A browse through prices of alternative brands can make Fender USA prices seem reasonable. (Warwick Streamette 5 £3,500, MM Stingray £2,700, Rickenbacker 4003 £2,700.  Etc) 

Edited by SumOne

Fender are a bit all over the place with their business model IMO.

The Japanese made models are generally really good and not particularly overpriced, particularly second hand. With less than an hour set up the Squier CV are good value at around £400 new. Good value first bass or backup that would lose little money should you want to sell it on.

The supposedly cheaper Mexican models now feature gems like the JMJ, Nate Mendel, Flea and Vintera range. Again very little money lost if you want to sell them on as they retain their value fairly well.

The USA models are fairly expensive, but most products bought from the USA in Europe are expensive. I guess if the instrument feels right in your hands then the cost is worth it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Tune in for next weeks episode, "Are rickenbackers good value for money?"

I bought mine in 1986, and it cost £400. Today price for a 1974 black Ric is probably £2400, and I do not understand why. It's not that good an instrument. Well, if I still had it, the comparison between my Vigiers, Modulus Genesis, and Ibanez Affirma would be unfair. Ric is rock, but that's all folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

The USA models are fairly expensive, but most products bought from the USA in Europe are expensive. I guess if the instrument feels right in your hands then the cost is worth it.

I suppose that this is the real point.  The Fender Aerodyne looks fabulous and was almost faultless, remember this was a £1000 bass in 2003 in the UK. Since I have had it, I have replaced the stock machine heads with Gotoh Res-O-Lites. That really helps with the weight, although it's not a heavy bass. I have also changed the pickups to DiMarzios as I hated the buzz from the single coil Jazz bridge pickup.

On the Sire Marcus Miller M2, the machine heads were not the best and I put Hipshot Ultralites on thanks to a bargain buy from a fellow BC'er. The controls, both the knobs and the feel of the pots are not perfect, but I cannot fault the preamp itself. With the bass, treble and mids set central, the volume and tome is virtually the same as when switched to passive. I van feel a preamp upgrade coming though, as my friend @Passinwindhas a couple of nice onboard designs.

I might try a body and neck from Northwest next to build exactly what I want.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Japhet said:

Best Precision I've played is a Tokai. Best Strat I ever played is also a Tokai.

Many years back I felt the time had come to up my game and buy a Fender P.

Headed to Denmark St and played a fair few. No real idea what my expectation was but I wasn't blown away. Tried out a Tokai just because there was one handy, won't say it was the best P-bass I've played; it was the best played that day 👍 

On 25/11/2022 at 17:08, karlfer said:

Interesting this.

I'm a bit of a Fender fan boi but I've recently been looking for a non PJ with slimmer neck.

The most obvious is the Nate Mendel but by accident I saw/heard the following bit of soundcheck.

I knew the neck profile was good, had a chat with the bass player who I've sort of known for 50 years and it's now in a rack behind me.

This Bass Collection Power Bass is beautifully made, sounds great, is easy to play & less than half the price of a Nate.

1st gig with it tomorrow night.

https://www.facebook.com/lin.davies.7902/videos/1270060980436930

The link seems to end up back at your post 🤔

Edited by Ralf1e
Typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

The link seems to end up back at your post 🤔

Yup, strange that.

I've just double clicked it and it went to the Facebook link which is a Floyd tribute band sound check in Chorley.

Anyway, last night I took the Bass Collection Power Bass to the gig.

My Jazz Elite never left it's stand.

The range of the pickup on the Bass Collection is excellent, it's quite light - the neck is exquisite.

I love this Fender copy! 😁

• Like 2

Of the Fender flavoured basses I have owned/currently own my two favourite Precision basses are a JV Squier and an Antoria, the latter was modded at some point in it's life with a '75 Fender pickup.  Both slightly different from each other but both superb in thier own way.  I've lost any GAS for P basses now and certainly not Fender ones.

Well, except maybe a '54 :D

• Like 1

The value is in the headstock logo, and assurance you won't lose money on it if you get a fair price when you buy. Add in the ubiquitous usage in many people's favourite music, and you have a safe bet for people that may not be wanting something 'risky' or untraditional. 

Disclaimer: I have a MIM Precision bass that was a gift in 2013, I generally use it as a benchmark for comparing other basses to. It's a decent bass, but it doesn't inspire me to play.

• Like 1

Having owned 2 US Fenders and my current Korean Jazz, for most music, they just work. I’ve played a lot of basses that either just don’t sound or feel right, and that’s never been my experience with the Fenders I’ve owned. I have played expensive Fenders that also don’t inspire. 

one way to not overspend is to find a good, war scarred player’s bass. I have no interest in a “perfect “ looking instrument…it’s meant to be carried around and played.

• Like 1