Why become a member? ×

When should legends retire?

Mickeyboro

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's a difficult one. I know I'll be playing in bands until it becomes absolutely physically impossible, so why should I begrudge others the same?

As a punter I'm reasonably lucky in that very few of the bands that I liked when I was first getting into music still exist in any gigging form so I'm unlikely to be disappointed, and there are plenty of new young bands coming up playing music I like, that I can go and see.

Because of the genre both my current bands move in, I get to see a lot of bands that were reasonably famous back in the 80s and 90s because we are supporting them. Whilst all of them can still cut it from a performance PoV, the depressing thing for me is that most of them are completely happy to trade on songs that are at best 25 years old. I know that on the whole audiences want to hear what they know and like, but there's not even a token song from the "new album" mostly because there is no new album. It's never been easier to record and release music without needing record label backing, so why aren't they doing it? It's as though their creative abilities got switched off sometime in the late 90s.

Notable exceptions to the above are Toyah and Mark Burgess.

I was somewhere recently where they were playing a Jimi Hendrix album. In between songs he said to the audience: ‘you want to hear the same old songs? Man, we were just trying to get some new stuff together’’

You’re right though. It has never been easier to record. Is it an age thing? The hits being a kind of safety net for them?  

I guess it must get pretty demoralising for those who do release something new, when they read a reviewer making a comparison to something they released thirty years ago?

Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever been to a gig by an artist where they haven’t been promoting a new album. The last gig I went to was Steven Wilson at the RAH. He’s quite prolific and I think only tours to promote an album. The next gig I’m going to is Porcupine Tree in November. I know they’ll be playing older stuff. They’re currently touring North America, there’s a section of the set featuring just Wilson and Barbieri where they play older material. They’re promoting the new album though, so there’ll be a lot of new tracks there. I saw him once at the O2 and he played tracks off an unreleased album.

22 minutes ago, ubit said:

Yup, why no new music from people who used to churn out hits every month? I am always amazed when you hear about old bands and you find out they are still going but their last album was in 1994 or something. I think what are they playing then? Just their old stuff over and over.

Think this must been down to when creativity / attitude / being younger were all major factors

in how their music was made. Who would have thought that say the punk bands of the late 

70’s would still be touring now, with them being so rebellious and dismissive of the older

bands back then? It’s down to earning a living I guess, so long as there are punters who will pay

to see them. Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be etc....

Bands like the Stones haven’t produced much of note for a long time but they still get massive

audiences willing to cough up hundreds to stand half a mile from the stage, just to be there.

When acts become ‘legends’ it guarantees them a good living till they peg it. Having a healthy

and memorable back catalogue is the goose that laid the golden egg.

17 minutes ago, casapete said:

Think this must been down to when creativity / attitude / being younger were all major factors

in how their music was made. Who would have thought that say the punk bands of the late 

70’s would still be touring now, with them being so rebellious and dismissive of the older

bands back then? It’s down to earning a living I guess, so long as there are punters who will pay

to see them. Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be etc....

Bands like the Stones haven’t produced much of note for a long time but they still get massive

audiences willing to cough up hundreds to stand half a mile from the stage, just to be there.

When acts become ‘legends’ it guarantees them a good living till they peg it. Having a healthy

and memorable back catalogue is the goose that laid the golden egg.

Beat me to it.

I've walked out of a few shows having paid upwards of fifty quid a ticket, usually because the sound was so bad that it was impossible to tell whether the artist was past it, but now and then because it was all too obvious that they were. Given the ease of recording videos with decent sound and distributing them on youtube, my suggestion would be to announce the tour and put out a very candid and un-doctored live track from the rehearsals or warm-up shows. That way, people would be able to get a feel for what they might expect to see if they go, and can make a decision based on something. The "if you don't want to go then don't" argument is only any good if you can actually know whether you want to go; how are you meant to know whether this is the time that you'll be disappointed if all you've got to go on is the fact that you weren't disappointed 5 years ago? Show us what's on offer; some will buy tickets no matter what, some will think the preview sounds ace and buy their tickets, and some will avoid paying to be disappointed. The artist can then reduce venue capacity and/or retire when they can't legitimately sell the tickets any longer on the back of previewing the show. If that never happens to them... great!

The new material question is one I've contemplated over a few pints and came to the conclusion that bands tour albums too soon after their release. People haven't had time to work that material into their listening and think of it as a favourite by the time they hear it live, so the crowd reaction is lukewarm compared to the older material and that reinforces the idea that crowds only want a greatest hits tour. In an ideal world, I think bands should only tour their first album when they've released their second, then continue out-of-step like that, so they're always playing material that more people have had some time to feel a connection with. As an added bonus, if there's an album at the end that never gets toured as a result, that's leaves a great opportunity for a tribute.

Years ago I was on a festival and Wilko was on the bill. This was before he got his all clear, and he was dire. Didn't keep in time with the band and just played badly. He filled the room and kept the audience until the end! The band looked very unhappy.

Exasperated musicians and happy audience. . . . why stop if people still want to pay to see you.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

The new material question is one I've contemplated over a few pints and came to the conclusion that bands tour albums too soon after their release. People haven't had time to work that material into their listening and think of it as a favourite by the time they hear it live, so the crowd reaction is lukewarm compared to the older material and that reinforces the idea that crowds only want a greatest hits tour. In an ideal world, I think bands should only tour their first album when they've released their second, then continue out-of-step like that, so they're always playing material that more people have had some time to feel a connection with. As an added bonus, if there's an album at the end that never gets toured as a result, that's leaves a great opportunity for a tribute.

Eh?

Radio is less important than it once was, and streaming platforms put new music in competition with nearly everything that has already been recorded over the last 70 years - some bands do sucessfully manage to harness the power of social media to garner a ready audience before commiting to touring, but for every Vulfpeck or PMJ there are hundreds of bands that never manage to garner big online only followings before booking gigs in meatspace.

48 minutes ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

Eh?

Radio is less important than it once was, and streaming platforms put new music in competition with nearly everything that has already been recorded over the last 70 years - some bands do sucessfully manage to harness the power of social media to garner a ready audience before commiting to touring, but for every Vulfpeck or PMJ there are hundreds of bands that never manage to garner big online only followings before booking gigs in meatspace.

Just a beer-fuelled thought in isolation without too much concern as to how well it'd work in practice. I guess on reflection it would work best for artists that are already held in some regard, have a few albums out and aren't yet jaded enough to not be bothering with new ones.

To provide context, there I was, stood watching Iron Maiden (who were, at least at the time, very into touring a new album and playing it in its entirety and then doing a few hits at the end to wrap up) and I realised that I was just stood there paying a lot to drink and shrug my shoulders because I clearly hadn't diligently done my homework and learned to love their new material end-to-end in time for the show. I wasn't really considering streaming vs radio etc. - just that at that gig, I'd have really liked to hear something I knew, and would have cheered much louder afterwards had it been forthcoming. Indeed, when they played the few older tracks at the end, everybody did. Afterwards I considered that, had I been given more time to naturally assimilate the 'new' album into my listening, I could have known it and would have enjoyed the gig much more. However, if I'd been asked right then on the way out, I would have said that they needed to just give it up and play greatest hits shows to give the people what they want.

8 hours ago, mikel said:

For me, when they get fat. The Stones can, or could, rip Charlie, pull it off cos they still look like rock stars. A big fat legend just doesn't work for me. 

I agree, I think if you don't have a six pack you shouldn't be allowed to practice at home let alone play in public. Music should be rated on a 'six-pack-o-meter' scale which solely rates the collective gym input of the band.

Of course for those musicians who just can't cut it in the gym, you could always issues buckets at gigs so you can vomit along to the sight of their jiggling performance. 

• Haha 3

However most of these bands don't have a whole set's worth of hits. At the very best there will be a handful of popular singles, some good album-only songs and still about 25% filler. So why not have some new songs? They can't be any worse than the filler from 30 years ago that they are still playing.

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

Years ago I was on a festival and Wilko was on the bill. This was before he got his all clear, and he was dire. Didn't keep in time with the band and just played badly. He filled the room and kept the audience until the end! The band looked very unhappy.

Exasperated musicians and happy audience. . . . why stop if people still want to pay to see you.

Well, I saw Focus a couple of years ago. The music was great but Van Leer looked like a fat bald roadie. I thought he was when he first came on stage. May as well have stayed at home and listened to the albums. Aive gig is about more than just the music. 

17 hours ago, mikel said:

Aive gig is about more than just the music. 

Yup, absolutely though there are BCers who'll disagree. There should be spectacle as well and TBH i don't wanna see sex/sept/ox/non-ogenarians hobbling about on stage or sitting down for a breather mid-song. Few things more dull than watching people on stage just standing while playing an instrument.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yup, absolutely though there are BCers who'll disagree. There should be spectacle as well and TBH i don't wanna see sex/sept/ox/non-ogenarians hobbling about on stage or sitting down for a breather mid-song. Few things more dull than watching people on stage just standing while playing an instrument.

Agreed. If I want to see a bunch of old, fat, bald blokes playing covers I can go down the local pub on a Saturday night. 

Yes, because as we know, being old fat and bald are all Very Bad Things and instantly stop you from being capable or entertaining. 

On 17/09/2022 at 16:54, Paul S said:

I saw Michael McDonald at Hammersmith in 2018.  AFAIAC he was always one of those exceptionally gifted singers.  There was something about his effortless, smoky falsetto that was almost divine in its quality.  A spinkle of MM on Bvs would raise pretty much any tune.  I'd never seen him live and was looking forward so much to seeing and hearing the master.  In the end I wished I hadn't gone.  He was straining and belting it out to reach the notes and all that quality I loved so much was lost in the effort.  We left early. :( 

Aw that’s real shame. I adore MM’s voice. 

On 18/09/2022 at 10:56, ambient said:

I heard on the radio this last week that Big Country are currently touring. I don’t see them as being Big Country without Stuart Adamson. It’s like having Phil Gould and Mike Lindup without Mark King.

I had a nice chat with Tony Butler at the SW bass bash a few years ago. When talk turned to Big Country, I was left in no doubt that for him, there is no BC without Stuart. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes, because as we know, being old fat and bald are all Very Bad Things and instantly stop you from being capable or entertaining. 

Aw that’s real shame. I adore MM’s voice. 

I had a nice chat with Tony Butler at the SW bass bash a few years ago. When talk turned to Big Country, I was left in no doubt that for him, there is no BC without Stuart.

Being old fat & bald never stopped me. But only cos I never started 🤣

On a serious note I think Tony Butler was spot on in that conversation Rich.

Q: ? A: Never.

I know this is a isolated incident, but at 95 with Alzheimer's Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. He just lit up and nailed it - words, inflections, etc. 

He may not remember his performance, And I'm Not Making a Joke. But everyone there will remember it, and the healing properties, and Magic, of the Brain and Music.

I mean, I watched it on the telly. And remembering right now STILL brings tears to my eyes.

• Like 3

I was recently dragged along by Mrs Pup to see Simple Minds at Audley End. Never seen them before but they were always sort of on my bucket list to see although I hadn't pursued it as I thought I would be disappointed (you know, just topping up their pensions....)

They were off the hook blinding. Absolutely at the top of their game and Jim and Charlie had the crowd eating out of their hands from the first song. The sound was the best I have ever heard at a gig, their energy levels were high and I could have just listened to Jed Grimes playing all my faves from New Gold Dream all night long. Outstanding and no reflection on their ages - they look like they have a good few years left in them.

Edited by Mudpup

On 17/09/2022 at 22:45, Bluewine said:

He's my "main man". Never knew what an electric bass was until I got my first Beatle record in 1963.

Blue

Sure, but that was then … now he looks older than God

Edited by Geek99

On 18/09/2022 at 07:06, Ed_S said:

I listen to bands/artists for totally different reasons than you do. Just as I'm into the band that I am playing/performing with at the moment, I'm into the newest music and the rawness (and mistakes that go along with it). That's what music is all about for me. I can listen to an album - finished product.

I would have given a nut (well, maybe not) to have heard Pink Floyd touring Dark Side Of The Moon before they produced the album. While The Music was still being gestated. Then listen to "The Album".

I saw Yes right after Tales From Topographic Oceans was released - before they started dropping whole sides of the album. It was still new and fresh. I don't think Rick Wakeman was ordering curry yet. They opened with the entire Close To The Edge album. What an Epic concert.

I know this has gone WAY off the original topic but I just had to comment.

And I'm not interested in seeing Yes these days.

But I would, in a heartbeat, go see an old favorite absolutely KNOWING they were gonna play music I have never heard before.

A True Legend would still be creating.

• Like 1

So, my 0.02£ is this, I’ve always been a huge U2 fan but even I can see that their most creative years are behind them and that they are basically a walking karaoke operation (albeit very rich ones). Time for them to hang up the instruments and enjoy the money like Smaug did