Why become a member? ×

Worst bass solos......?

Beedster

22 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

Scott Devine did a video on "good solos" where many were really bad! (some were tasteful)

I can't believe someone as talented as Scott would genuinely believe trying to fit in 50 notes every second makes anything other than showmanship, as opposed to music. 

His premise for the video seems to be more on stretching technique to the limits, like extreme finger raking, than on making music.

Scott does seem to have more than a soft spot for all this jazz fusion widdly diddly shyt3. Sure these guys have technique by the bucketload but i find nothing to enjoy in these solos. Then again I detest jazz, precisely because the 'tunes' are all about the saxist, drummist, bassist, guitarist etc taking turns to widdle out.  At the other end of the spectrum this thread has Michael Anthony and Fieldy clearly off their faces pratting about. The drummer in Korn's good though. And as for Flea's stars and stripes abomination. That might be the worst thing of all in this thread. That said, they're till a tad better than this from Gene Simmons   

• Sad 1

Whenever I think of bad bass solos, I always come back to this…

I think it’s the confidence in the singer’s call of “Bass Solo!” that truly elevates this piece. The call of Bass Solo! became a bit of a thing in the community I was a part of back then, around 1999/2000.

The Bass Solo! starts around 38 seconds in:

Sorry, I tried several ways to post the link without posting the actual video, but could’nt work out how to do it. Hopefully the mention of lady bits doesn’t offend (though it’s not vulgar or slang, so hopefully it’s ok).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Sure these guys have technique by the bucketload but i find nothing to enjoy in these solos. 

That's exactly how I feel about virtuosos like Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmstein and (this wont go down well) Jaco. Obviously they have an incredible amount of technical skill but incredibly technical playing and fancy tricks don't make great tunes. I'd rather listen to some simple rock than someone shredding for five minutes to an audience entirely made up of 50 year old, balding, fat amateur guitarists. 

• Like 2

The worst bass solo in history was mine. I got a one off gig with a (relatively)  known  french guitarist at a huge Fete de musique venue. We had one rehearsal, without him, 2 days before the gig. All numbers I  hate due to him wanting to be Jimi Hendrix (as is usual in France)

I stated, no bass solos.  So, halfway through the mind numbingly boring Hendrix version of Wild thing at it's usual pacey 5BPM, he shouts "bass solo" and walks off stage to have a fag. Couldn't think of anything to do with it so, not wanting to stand there like a lemon,  got the drummer pick it up and launched into Another one bites the dust, much to the displeasure of wannabe Jimi 😆

Edited by leschirons
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Scott does seem to have more than a soft spot for all this jazz fusion widdly diddly shyt3. Sure these guys have technique by the bucketload but i find nothing to enjoy in these solos. Then again I detest jazz, precisely because the 'tunes' are all about the saxist, drummist, bassist, guitarist etc taking turns to widdle out.  At the other end of the spectrum this thread has Michael Anthony and Fieldy clearly off their faces pratting about. The drummer in Korn's good though. And as for Flea's stars and stripes abomination. That might be the worst thing of all in this thread. That said, they're till a tad better than this from Gene Simmons   

Wow, doesn't help that they follow it up with the most spinal tap sounding song, Kiss are a strange band, maybe he was inspired by this

https://youtu.be/uN3JKXTj7gw

Edited by shoulderpet

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I love jazz and listen to it frequently, but Scott's examples seems to be more about highlighting soloists showing off their technique, rather than highlighting solos where the music is the point. They weren't all like that of course, but the general gist of it is "Hey guys, now look at this guy soloing while standing on his head with 3 picks using every single mode". That's fantastic and it's great that he has learnt his chops enough to carry off such a feat, but it's not necessarily good music, which I think should have been the point. In other words why was it a good solo, rather than hey look at this guys technique.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/08/2022 at 09:58, KingBollock said:

I think it’s the confidence in the singer’s call of “Bass Solo!” that truly elevates this piece. The call of Bass Solo! became a bit of a thing in the community I was a part of back then, around 1999/2000.

Sorry, I tried several ways to post the link without posting the actual video, but could’nt work out how to do it. Hopefully the mention of lady bits doesn’t offend (though it’s not vulgar or slang, so hopefully it’s ok).

Unusually for a bass solo that brought a smile to my face (was s/he schooled in Greek balalaika/bluegrass mandolin), just a pure comedy solo and completely not right for the track. Brilliant 

As most people who’ve been to the country know Cows are nosey buggers, they’ll head your way and surround you before you can blink an eye. 
want to get rid of them? 
Bass Solo!!!

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Bass solos? Never ever, blo*dy ever.

When playing live (in a covers band) before going in to a specific song with an excellent bass intro (which are allowed of course).. I will inform the punters what a bass is and if they are ever at a gig and the bass player threatens to play a solo, they should finish their drinks, grab their coats and leave in composed yet hasty fashion. I then tell them this is an intro... and off we go :)

• Haha 2

That could skip over a 'worst bass solo' thread and take the top spot in a 'worst piece overall' thread 🤣

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

That could skip over a 'worst bass solo' thread and take the top spot in a 'worst piece overall' thread 🤣

While the Gene Simmons 'solo' posted earlier would instantly take uncontested #1 slot in a 'worst actual thing of any sort anywhere' thread. I felt embarrassed just watching it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/08/2022 at 18:27, Crawford13 said:

Holy moly that's bad. I think Flea is to bass what Kirk Hammett is to guitar. Anyone who started playing in the 80's and 90's idolised them, and then you get a little older and a little wiser and realise that they aren't that great. (I still love RHCP but whenever I hear Flea play without them it's cringe territory).

What a shame.

On 13/08/2022 at 08:34, binky_bass said:

Genuinely agree... while I'm sure it's technically tricky to play, there no real melody or hook or anything actually interesting to listen to. Jaco has always been a bit overrated in my eyes. 

i think this was a door opener for aspiring bass players and pros alike, and the fact most bass players have heard it, weather they like it or not matters not,

i dont think he is over rated,

his 16th funky fingerstyle is for me just killer, thats where id like to be.

but not to be a copy, but just to have that feel under my fingers as and when its needed

Bad solos ? iv said this once befor on here, but here it is again because its in the running here...

i was playing in a rock covers band in the 80s and we played in a pub called the mersey clipper that was on corporation road in Birkenhead, a VERY scruffy rough little dive with the smallest stage on the planet , anyone remember that ?

we use to go on after the stripper ( not joking),

so half way through the set i did a bass solo and i use to ware dark sunglasses trying to look cool, half way through my bass solo one of the lenses fell out my crap sunglasses, i looked up and the whole place creased up.

al never forget that, and the bass solo was crap too thinking about it 🙂

Moral of the story ???

dont go on stage with cheap sh!t sunglasses, you know its going to happen.....it will. it will... 🙂

Edited by funkgod
  • Haha 2

I think the worst solo I've seen live wasn't a solo as such, but you'll see what I mean...

I saw a jazz combo down at the Old Duck** in Bristol one night, the bassist had a nice old Jazz and my first impression was that he could really play. He took a solo, which was very impressive, but it became apparent that he just didn't know when to stop. He just kept doing it... he widdled away all over the sax solo, he even kept on in the drum solo, seemingly oblivious to the fact that everyone else except him had stopped. After a couple of songs of this inability to STFU, my opinion of him had totally changed, and I just wanted him to shove his nice old Jazz right up there and sod off.

** as all you Brizzlers will know, its actual name is the Old Duke... but I had a Brazilian colleague some years ago who called it 'Old Duck' and it's kind of stuck.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think the worst solo I've seen live wasn't a solo as such, but you'll see what I mean...

I saw a jazz combo down at the Old Duck** in Bristol one night, the bassist had a nice old Jazz and my first impression was that he could really play. He took a solo, which was very impressive, but it became apparent that he just didn't know when to stop. He just kept doing it... he widdled away all over the sax solo, he even kept on in the drum solo, seemingly oblivious to the fact that everyone else except him had stopped. After a couple of songs of this inability to STFU, my opinion of him had totally changed, and I just wanted him to shove his nice old Jazz right up there and sod off.

** as all you Brizzlers will know, its actual name is the Old Duke... but I had a Brazilian colleague some years ago who called it 'Old Duck' and it's kind of stuck.

Although to provide some context, the above is pretty normal behaviours for many lead guitarists

• Haha 2

On 21/08/2022 at 12:42, Marky L said:

Bass solos? Never ever, blo*dy ever.

When playing live (in a covers band) before going in to a specific song with an excellent bass intro (which are allowed of course).. I will inform the punters what a bass is and if they are ever at a gig and the bass player threatens to play a solo, they should finish their drinks, grab their coats and leave in composed yet hasty fashion. I then tell them this is an intro... and off we go :)

Hopefully, they believe you....otherwise, I presume, it's off they go as well?

:D

• Haha 1

The bass solo reminded me of something, and I finally worked out what it was. If the bassist was attempting to play 'Auld Lang Syne' in the middle of a song about moving on, it might be more clever than we give them credit for?

David