Why become a member? ×

Worst bass solos......?

Beedster

On 14/08/2022 at 09:19, Barking Spiders said:

When I'm trying to tune up with new strings that won't stay where they're supposed to, I look a bit like that too.

Not so much with the weird leggings though.

Edited by nige1968
brevity

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2022 at 08:32, MacDaddy said:

:ph34r:

I wouldn't say this is a solo though. This is a composition.

About Jaco being overrated, I have to admit I had that feeling for years, but I now changed my mind.

In the last years I actually listened to his work (solo, with Pat Metheny, with Weather Reports, with Joni Mitchell, studio and live) and I have to admit he's incredible!

But that is totally subjective though, a lot of people don't and won't like him and that's absolutely OK.

The thing that I realised about him though is that to me he's not a bassist in the strict sense of the word. He's a musician that uses bass to express himself.
Most of his bass lines are counterpointy more that "proper basslines". A lot of melodic lines (something a sax player would play), tons of 3rd, 7th and 9th.
Take "Birdland" by Weather Report for example.

This absolutely unique and I like it. That said, there are tracks where I believe this doesn't really work.
For example on his "Come on, come over", the main bassline (not the super funky 16th in the chorus that are awesome) to me sounds like a part for brass instruments (that in fact at some point double that).
Every time I start listening to that track (that I like), I feel like it's missing the bass.

To me there's a void that Jaco's bass doesn't fill, rhythmically, harmonically and in terms of frequencies.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
corrected Jaco's song's title
  • Like 3

On 13/08/2022 at 11:54, grumpyguts said:

To play a great solo and retain the heart of the groove at the same time is going to a level of ability beyond most - best not to bother!

Guitarists can widdle away in the knowledge that the rhythm section is still providing the foundation of the song.

Absolutely love this comment, any type of bass solo or embellishments must keep the groove and reference what has come before! Without that the song collapses.

• Like 1

I'm depping (well, more or less continuously) for a new band, and in Good Times (which goes on awhile, as the BL/Singist/Geetard plays sax, too, so he switches to that later on), he likes to single out the players for a solo. He did this without warning at the first gig, so I heel-muted on the open E and the A, kept the groove going, and picked up my pint in my left hand and downed it...he loved it, and tho I'll need a pint handy for that song at future gigs, it's got me out of learning anything too tricky...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, ordep said:

This. Fentanyl isn’t gonna cut it for this one. 

ha ha actually that was hilarious. Looking at the crowd there seem to be some punters enjoying that bass..erm... solo. More curious is WTF was Guthrie Govan doing there?

Edited by Barking Spiders