Why become a member? ×

Does Humour Belong in Music?

Nail Soup

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

There are many good humorous songs.

By Monty Python, Charlie Drake, Tommy Cooper, Bernard Cribbins, Paddy Roberts to name but a few.

Agreed. There are quite a few honkers too!

Having been brought up on a heady brew of Queen, the Beach Boys and cassettes of ‘comedy hits of the 70s’ on 5 hour drives to family holidays I’m not averse to light-hearted and witty banter set to appropriate musical accompaniment. 
I drove my son home from youth club tonight accompanied by a selection from Frank Sidebottom’s repertoire and had a good giggle. 

FZ gets my vote any day of the week, but I can’t help but think that the music carries a hell of a lot more value than his lyrical efforts.

• Like 1

The Damned always have a bit of a laugh live.  This was the B-side to 'Smash it up'. the weird sound at 1.37 was a bit on the 7" that you had to revolve the opposite way to your record player to hear it, which doesn't work without a turntable and stylus, of course.

I once saw them play a version of Ballroom Blitz, with Lemmy.  Dave Vanian changed the chorus to: 'Big, big, big big t!ts' whilst pointing at a chesty skinhead girl sat on something to the side of the stage (Electric Ballroom, Camden Town).  The support band for this gig was supposed to be Splodgenessabounds but they got banned as 10 days previously, while supporting the Damned at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park, Max Splodge received a very quick BJ from the girl that used to share singing duties with him-on stage.  Splodgenessabounds were/are a pisstake punk band, famous for the single '2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please'

Chas n Dave have some really funny lyrics/songs and i always think they're underrated as musicians off the back of it, which is a shame.

Spinal tap have to be near the top when talking about comedy tunes too. 

AC/DC tunes have a lot of humour in them too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Leonard Cohen is hilarious. 

Edit - I should say was, really...

I've long maintained that Leonard was a p*ss-t*k*ng m*th*rf*ck*r who laughed heartily at the human condition and benefitted greatly from it. Sadly missed.

• Like 3

We have a bit of "humour" in our act. 

Our singer has a great singing tone, but a slightly limited range. About halfway through he'll apologise to the audience, saying his voice is a bit tired. 

I'll pipe up on my mic, tell him to stop moaning because he has it easy.  We'll then have a pretend argument which ends with me saying "right, if you think you can do better then be my guest", and I hand him the bass. 

He's not a bassist at all but I've taught him to play House of the Rising Sun, so I'll blast through the vocals and he does bass for that one song.  We then shake hands and swap back to normality.

Invariably earns much-O applause from the audience.

• Like 2

Squeeze would be my favourite example of humour in music.

I also do like a lot of comedy music - Peter Sellers 'Balham', Flanders and Swann, Trimmer and Jenkins, and I don't think the profanity filter will allow me to post the wonderful Dilly Keane.

22 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love Bloodhound Gang's Hooray For Boobies. 

It's extremely purile, which would normally be a big turn off for me, but it's so well written and just so damn catchy!

Also Tenacious D. I've always thought Jack Black has too good a voice to be in a comedy band. 

One thing I don't like about humourous bands is when they have talky bits between tracks. It soon gets really old after repeated listens. 

I love Bloodhound gangs discovery channel, always makes me smile.

• Like 1

Love the Barenaked Ladies… Brian Wilson, If I Had $1,000,000, Be My Yoko Ono and Grade 9 spring to mind.

Or what about Mayor of Simpleton by XTC… humour in music doesn’t just need to be Flanders & Swan or Bernard Cribbins (though both are great)…

….and who couldn’t love…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

There's quite a lot of difference between a humorous song and a song with humour in it... I tend to prefer the 2nd as the humour is part of the music, as opposed to the whole point of the song.

Bootsy's music is always dribbling with little jokes!

Yeah, I agree. Comedy songs (as in lyrics telling a a joke story) are different to songs that contain humour, and I prefer the latter.

• Like 1

Well you're all wrong. There is even less place for humour in music than there would be for a dog turd in my pipe and slippers.

As a recent convert to the Sillhill School of High Intellectual Theory I am firmly convinced that humour should be careful contained and kept for very rare and special occasions, as I believe orgasms are.  I am now off to burn/melt my recordings of Half Man Half Biscuit, Tom Lehrer, Flanders & Swann, Kitt and The Widow, Peter Sellers, and Muse. 

17 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Love the Barenaked Ladies… Brian Wilson, If I Had $1,000,000, Be My Yoko Ono and Grade 9 spring to mind.

Or what about Mayor of Simpleton by XTC… humour in music doesn’t just need to be Flanders & Swan or Bernard Cribbins (though both are great)…

….and who couldn’t love…

D’oh, for some reason all the other Tom Lehrer clips others had posted weren’t showing up on my iPad…d’oh!

Totally need humour in music to counter a lot of the overly serious po-faced ballcocks out there. My own personal faves are Ian Dury, Macc Lads, Half Man Half Biscuit (from my former manor), Dead Kennedys and the Beastie Boys. Have a bit of Boomin Granny

Edited by Barking Spiders