Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

There are some hardworking and probably very talented musicians in this band. While publicly shaming Mick would help the community, it could impact a lot of people who have done nothing wrong.

Perhaps a polite message to the band account?

I don’t know how these things work, but this must be possible to do privately rather than publicly.

If I was scammed I’d be arranging a road trip to coincide with his appearance somewhere, but that’s just me.

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

There are some hardworking and probably very talented musicians in this band. While publicly shaming Mick would help the community, it could impact a lot of people who have done nothing wrong.

Perhaps a polite message to the band account?

I don’t know how these things work, but this must be possible to do privately rather than publicly.

If I was scammed I’d be arranging a road trip to coincide with his appearance somewhere, but that’s just me.

This is quite long running but iirc there was evidence that people within his band(s) knew full well what he was up to.  Not saying all of them but I can't believe you'd not have got a whiff of what he is up to.

Were it me I'd be very publicly and through every possible avenue available, be letting folk knew what he'd done; which might include buying a ticket to a show and voicing my displeasure while he was on stage... but that's just me.  In fact someone tried to scam me on ebay and I very easily established who they were and their band.  I'm just waiting my opportunity to catch up with the gent and let him know what I thought of his stunt!  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

This is quite long running but iirc there was evidence that people within his band(s) knew full well what he was up to.  Not saying all of them but I can't believe you'd not have got a whiff of what he is up to.

Were it me I'd be very publicly and through every possible avenue available, be letting folk knew what he'd done; which might include buying a ticket to a show and voicing my displeasure while he was on stage... but that's just me.  In fact someone tried to scam me on ebay and I very easily established who they were and their band.  I'm just waiting my opportunity to catch up with the gent and let him know what I thought of his stunt!  

Yup. "Standard" avenues are clearly not working. Reporting and all is all great, but the result has been a resounding flip all. It's crazy the guy keeps getting away with it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I had no idea the band knew. If this was the case, I’m the same as you - I’d be all over it. 

• prowla changed the title to I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)
21 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I would say that the harm he does to the many musicians he seems to cheat far exceeds the harm that would befall a tribute act, which in any case could easily find a replacement just from the ranks of people he has already cheated.

Edited by Pseudonym
  • Like 3

On 10/05/2023 at 10:47, warwickhunt said:

Would this be the fella holding the bass?  image.thumb.png.1bf50eab0a4e4fe782c3d97d0494e78f.png

Yes, this is Mick Mason, sat next to his partner who is the singer in the Carpenters Tribute. He also plays pretty regularly with a Queen tribute, although by all accounts he's finding it difficult to find musicians to play with him, or sound/lighting crew.  Probably because he has a huge reputation for not paying them!

Edited by AidanHampson

14 hours ago, AidanHampson said:

Yes, this is Mick Mason, sat next to his partner who is the singer in the Carpenters Tribute. He also plays pretty regularly with a Queen tribute, although by all accounts he's finding it difficult to find musicians to play with him, or sound/lighting crew.  Probably because he has a huge reputation for not paying them!

She looks nothing like Freddie Mercury, he was much better looking.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, WonkyOne said:

Well what a surprise this thread was to find!!

We supplied kit and crew to "Mick" over 2 months ago, supposed to be payment on the night, then said can we invoice, so did a 7 day invoice, then when that time came round he said he has to wait for venue to pay him, anyway many messages over many weeks of crap the venue were paying him yesterday and we would get paid straight away.....Since then radio silence

So myself and my crew are visiting their next show, next weekend and wont be leaving until fully paid along with the late payment charges!!

Make sure you report it to the police too, so they can sit on their arses and do absolutely nothing about it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s clear that the legal route is not going anywhere. How many of you would be willing to make a claim in civil court? For small amounts it’s not too expensive:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

He has never scammed me but individuals like Mr Mason should not get away with this for years on end. If this is occurring on a national level apply for the civil court to order Mr Mason to appear in person to state his financial situation. He may find himself travelling to and fro quite a bit based on the number of cases reported here.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4