Why become a member? ×

I have been ripped off (by Mick Mason of Leicester - Facebook scammer/thief)

prowla

The pedals scam seems to have been something he dreamt up during lockdown. His real money making con appears to be be in entertainment. He takes bookings for venues, they pay him a deposit, then he either cancels at the last minute, or just the singer turns up. He’s often booking the same band to multiple venues on the same night.

He’s also taking money from bands for shows that are never booked. 

According to a friend, he has a reputation for booking musicians but not paying them.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 10:40, Wolverinebass said:

I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before things turn nasty and people pay him a visit in light of no legal action being taken.

Quite frankly, he’s incredibly lucky that it hasn’t already happened. Sooner or later he’ll rip off someone who will be quite happy to pop round with some big mates for a little chat. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Quite frankly, he’s incredibly lucky that it hasn’t already happened. Sooner or later he’ll rip off someone who will be quite happy to pop round with some big mates for a little chat. 

I must admit, I agree. I can imagine the line from Lock, Stock being used, "If you don't want to be counting the fingers you haven't got or sharing a bed with the antichrist....."

There will probably be someone who can't afford getting ripped off who will know a few folk, then it'll all go south for Mr. Mason.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

I must admit, I agree. I can imagine the line from Lock, Stock being used, "If you don't want to be counting the fingers you haven't got or sharing a bed with the antichrist....."

There will probably be someone who can't afford getting ripped off who will know a few folk, then it'll all go south for Mr. Mason.

I sincerely hope the law catches up with him first.

A nice custodial sentence ought to keep out of harms way. 

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Indeed.

Fortune favours the brave it seems.  His luck cant last though.  The longer he carries on, the nearer he'll get to ripping off a psycho, and that will do what the police and FB failed to.

In fact, i hope he does find that nutter. Sooner rather than later.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bassmanjack said:

You might want to see this. Looks like things are finally catching up with him. As this is a register to read page i've also copied to PDF to make it easier

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/booking-firm-owes-us-tens-of-thousands-claim-tribute-acts

Mick mason stage..pdf 35.94 kB · 39 downloads

Oooh! Previous convictions eh? He should go down this time once it gets to court. I wonder if a class action against him is possible?

Good to see the MU taking notice. Are they aware of the evidence that's built up on here?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bassmanjack said:

You might want to see this. Looks like things are finally catching up with him. As this is a register to read page i've also copied to PDF to make it easier

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/booking-firm-owes-us-tens-of-thousands-claim-tribute-acts

Mick mason stage..pdf 35.94 kB · 46 downloads

Last week I sent an email to Jamie Body, the author of that Stage piece, giving him the background on Mr Mason and have given him links to this thread and the other Mason-based one. The auto-reply I received said that he'd be back in the office today, so I wait to see whether he responds or not.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This guy try to scam me once many years ago (over 12years) 

he rented some radio mics from me for a long term hire and then never returned them. Turned out he’d pawned them to find his gambling debt.

I eventually got them back by sending a local nutter round to have a word with him.

Mick Mason / Michael Mason whatever he calls himself is a long time scammer. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Interesting piece on Vinted scams on telly last night. They invited contact over similar schemes. I have not been affected myself, but it sounds like an invitation for someone who has, to make contact. On The One Show.

The One Show item was presented by Watchdog's Matt Allwright and he invited anyone let down by any online marketplace to contact: [email protected]

As I mentioned in the other thread on this subject Matt Allwright is a guitarist so it's likely he would be interested in this story.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

So that's the root of it then. Ripping off musicians, venues and families going on holiday to go to the bookies FFS.

Sadly, it often seems to be case that the perpetrator has either a substance or gambling addiction. Looking at posts on the private Facebook group, he appears to have a partner, who while not being a part of the scams, does know about them and covers for him. You’d think she’d be trying to get him to seek help.

There is apparently a court case coming up too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ambient said:

Sadly, it often seems to be case that the perpetrator has either a substance or gambling addiction. Looking at posts on the private Facebook group, he appears to have a partner, who while not being a part of the scams, does know about them and covers for him. You’d think she’d be trying to get him to seek help.

His addictions in no way justify his behaviour.

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Rotten eggs in the public gallery? 🙂

• Haha 1

Gambling is a weird one, right at the front of socially acceptable addictions so often flies under the radar but is no less destructive for all involved. A friend of my dad burned through his early retirement payout in a year, was in excess of £40k back in the mid to late 90s so not a small sum. All went on the horses.

Combine that with someone who has no qualms about morally questionable behaviour and you end up with total disasters like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Velarian said:

I’m amazed at the prevalence of gambling advertising. I think it ought to be treated the same as tobacco. 

I absolutely despise the whole advertising 'warning'... when it stops being fun, just stop.  

W T F!  Yeah because someone addicted will just be able make that rational decision.  Boils my urine!  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I absolutely despise the whole advertising 'warning'... when it stops being fun, just stop.  

W T F!  Yeah because someone addicted will just be able make that rational decision.  Boils my urine!  

Short of banning it completely they should only allow bluntly truthful advertising along the lines “you can bet with us but understand that the odds are stacked completely in our favour and you will lose a sh!tload of money and you will not solve whatever problem you have, in fact you will make it worse”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Short of banning it completely they should only allow bluntly truthful advertising along the lines “you can bet with us but understand that the odds are stacked completely in our favour and you will lose a sh!tload of money and you will not solve whatever problem you have, in fact you will make it worse”

....and over time your brain circuitry and chemistry will change which means that you will come to think, feel and behave around gambling exactly the same way as a heroin or crack addict thinks, feels and behaves around drugs. Sadly however, you will run out of money even faster than does even the most addicted drug addict, from where you will find yourself lying to family and friends in order to borrow money (which you will never be able to repay), from where you will start to act with questionable ethics around money that comes your way via your employment, a process that might start with minor theft but which can quickly escalate to major fraud, from where you will start to borrow larger sums from dubious people, and from where you will finally progress to out-and-out criminality that, because unlike the worst drug addiction you can never have enough money to fuel a gambling addiction, will result in either your being arrested and likely imprisoned, or worse still as the people who you owe money to - either the gambling debt or the money you borrowed to gamble in the first place - catch up with you.   

I'd rather take my chances on drugs frankly

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Beedster said:

....and over time your brain circuitry and chemistry will change which means that you will come to think, feel and behave around gambling exactly the same way as a heroin or crack addict thinks, feels and behaves around drugs. Sadly however, you will run out of money even faster than does even the most addicted drug addict, from where you will find yourself lying to family and friends in order to borrow money (which you will never be able to repay), from where you will start to act with questionable ethics around money that comes your way via your employment, a process that might start with minor theft but which can quickly escalate to major fraud, from where you will start to borrow larger sums from dubious people, and from where you will finally progress to out-and-out criminality that, because unlike the worst drug addiction you can never have enough money to fuel a gambling addiction, will result in either your being arrested and likely imprisoned, or worse still as the people who you owe money to - either the gambling debt or the money you borrowed to gamble in the first place - catch up with you.   

.... and worst of all you will have a thread all about you on Basschat! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cetera said:

.... and worst of all you will have a thread all about you on Basschat! ;)

Yep. One of the few apparently positive (but in real terms negative) aspects of gambling addiction compared to drug addiction is that it's not so obvious socially; plenty of addicted gamblers appear to live normal healthy lives even when in the midst of a serious long-term addiction, which is rarely the case with drugs; the signs of drug addiction are often quite clear to the naked eye.

So yes, a thread on social media about your actions - which may or may not be the result of gambling of course but I'm assuming from the above might be - is indicative that its got very bad indeed