Why become a member? ×

What Bass should I buy?(between 1000-1500)

TJ1

Hi

I am new to the Bass guitar, but want to learn with a good versatile instrument, that is not restrictive in terms of style or sound.

Any recommendations appreciated. The budget is for the instrument only. I had a look at the Fender series, and I am sure they are good, but for some reason i am always hesitant to buy the market leaders.

Depends.  Horses and courses.  Different types of bass have different sounds, and suit different genres.  What sort of music are you intending to play / like? You probably deffo want a four string with frets.  If you want something simple to get you bedded in straight away I'd recommend a precision type bass. A minimum of controls so you can focus on learning to play and still sound great.  If you want an instrument that will grow with you I'd recommend a Sire jazz bass, which allows you to 'dial in' no end of different sounds. Both these can be had in good quality for much less than your budget.

In fact you can spend a small fraction of your budget and still get a good instrument.  The consensus is that nowadays there's no such thing as a rubbish bass unless you really try hard to find one.

If you're not totally sure and want to experiment consider second hand.  BassChat has a For Sale section which is in fact like a lending libary.  Basses go round and round, changing hands for about the same amount each time, so you never lose much. 

But as Greek says, expect well over a hundred replies with mostly conflicting advice, leaving you probably more confused at the end than you are now.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

with this budget, you can get almost anything you want, 2nd hand (maybe not a Ritter, or a Fodera...)

get a bass that you find comfortable playing, the neck must be perfect for your fretting hand, and the body not biting into your forearm, the rest is - apart from weight - sort of aesthetics. for versatility it should have two pickups and maybe active electronics, active/passive switch in a P/J config gets you almost any sound you can dream up

try before you buy - happy adventures!

You need to try some, because how they feel is so, so important. Some people  feel comfortable on a fat neck, some thin, some in the middle or at any point in between. Different people fit with different body shapes, comfort wise. And although different basses have distinct sounds, this is affected by the player. Do you need two pickups, or active electronics? Many don’t need either but some wouldn’t be without. And then of course, you also need to like what it looks like. 

• Like 1

Pinpoint the sound you like most/that you`re after making, then research from there. If you`re after a specific sound you`ll get much more enjoyment from an instrument that can recreate it. Which is exactly what I didn`t do, for years. I was always chasing a specific sound, then finally bought the bass that could do it, made things a lot better.

I would suggest you  have a serious look at Sandberg basses. The build quality is excellent and they are very versatile. The California T or VM are great to play. There are also some really good secondhand deals to be had.

• Like 4

Welcome TJ1, It’s worth a look at Sandberg  , you would get a nice one for that budget, they are very well built  basses ,and they have lots to choose from ,and also various pickup configurations to suit most styles 🙂

edit , kingprawn beat me to it 😁

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 3

If you have come here expecting to get a clear indication of which bass to buy forget it. you will get all sorts of different opinions on the best. Why not just pop into a shop and see what suits you?

A bass that you bond with the moment you pick it up. Comfortable neck, body. 

Nothing wrong with Fender. They say p bass sits in a mix well, I find jazz bass more versatile. As already mentioned , it's horses for courses.....but it needs to be good for metal.

4 hours ago, TJ1 said:

Many thanks for the replies. Trying a few out at a shop seems essential. 

A lightly used Sandberg would definitely be on my rdar.

It's essential. If I were in your position as soon as we are out of house arrest I'd book a day at Bass Direct.

Mark is great with advice and you won't find a bigger range of basses from all manufacturers anywhere else.

• Like 1

At this stage, something with a comfortable neck, and something that is both comfortable standing and seated. As @lownote12 says, there is plenty available at a fraction of your budget. A passive bass with PJ (Precision and Jazz) pickup configuration at around £3/400 would serve you well for a long time (or at least until GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome - takes over)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

It's essential. If I were in your position as soon as we are out of house arrest I'd book a day at Bass Direct.

Mark is great with advice and you won't find a bigger range of basses from all manufacturers anywhere else.

The Bass Gallery is always my no 1.

If you can find one to try - and you can get past the looks a Burns Bison is crazy good. The Tri sonic pickups are amazing. I had one, and it nails the classic P sound, classic jazz sound, Ric sound and upright. All the best tones from one bass. I only sold mine because I couldn't get on with the weight, but playability and sound it is awesome! 😎

burns-bison-bass-red-2012-cons-full-fron

17 hours ago, TJ1 said:

Hi

I am new to the Bass guitar, but want to learn with a good versatile instrument, that is not restrictive in terms of style or sound.

Any recommendations appreciated. The budget is for the instrument only. I had a look at the Fender series, and I am sure they are good, but for some reason i am always hesitant to buy the market leaders.

I would lower your budget and buy a Squier Precision or Jazz. You will be getting a gig worthy instrument without investing too much cash. If you decide you like playing bass and want to continue, then you can either a) keep the bass and buy a 'better' one or b) sell the Squier and purchase something else. 

Over £1k for a first instrument is crazy IMO. Hold on for the supercar when you know the way around the racetrack. 

• Like 10

That would be really nice of someone, i'd bring a six pack!

My location is North London. Really interested in trying a Fender and a Sandberg side by side, but any others would be interesting.

I had the virus four weeks ago - so guidelines state I am no longer infectious.