Why become a member? ×

What Bass should I buy?(between 1000-1500)

TJ1

8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It may assist your transition from Talkbass to BassChat if we outline certain characteristics of the forum:

* Any specific question will prompt a range of responses which may not necessarily conform with the parameters defined by the OP. Hence, a question about live performance may veer into a sub-discussion about hats. Which brings me to the next point.

* Threads on BassChat tend to be fractal rather than linear. Several conversations may proceed in parallel; of these, some might not be addressed directly to the OP but may simply be ideas going back and forth between thread participants in a discussion outside the main topic. Some forums insist that members keep discussions 'On Topic'. By contrast BassChat revels in ever-widening debates; seldom does one see the exhortation 'Let's keep this on topic', an injunction which customarily provokes a snarky kind of mirth

* Any position may (and will probably) be challenged but this more often in an intellectual sense rather than a confrontational sense. A battle of ideas rather than positions. If someone disagrees with someone else it's usually in the spirit of presenting an alternative view rather than a competing position. If someone disagrees with you it's usually safe to assume they're not having a pop at you.

* Most 'question threads' on BC seldom last more than a couple of pages and usually devolve into exchanges of memes, jokes and references to 1970's TV shows. This thread is unusual in so far having preserved a modicum of the original thrust. Surprisingly, a recent 'Recommend me a first bass' went to about 15 pages as the OP received suggestions, tried them out, sourced a bass, took delivery and expressed satisfaction. The participants threw in a multitude of suggestions, ideas and advice, some of which was contradictory. Yet it all turned out nice in the end and everyone went away with a little, warm glow of satisfaction.

Anyhow, please try to bear this in mind. It's a welcoming forum, here, and one of the reasons for this is that we respond well to cheerfulness and flexibility of viewpoint. 

Have nice day

SDV :)

I am American😈 but I always wanted to live in London and enjoyed my time there in 2000.

I will recite the 'Serenity Prayer' as I had to on Talkbass when visiting the forum. Sometimes that helped.

When you said have a 'nice' day; nice was the key word?

• Like 1

The key thing for a beginner is playability and to be honest the budget Yamaha and Sub ray4 I have are just as playable as the US Fender Jazz+ pbass I own.

One of the best bass players I have seen on YouTube absolutely kills it on a £300 budget bass. Amazing tone and feel.

Edited by 41Hz