Left leaderboard
Alberto Rigoni

Best headstock shape (except fender)?

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

This in my book is a classic design small and ergonomic. The original adjustable bridge too is a simple and good design, I love the way the tuners told backwards on two planes too.

_DSF8554.thumb.JPG.cd7751d004a9efa574196e61ebf68e4f.JPG_DSF8555.thumb.JPG.54be040618debeeb4b1754e0ed7f935b.JPG

All I see is a stubby Alien's head with 4 googly eyes and 4 flappy ears! lol!

I cannot be doing with headstocks which have been badly designed - and by that I mean from an engineering POV: the strings shouldn't veer off sideways at the nut, and they shouldn't need afterthought string tensioners because they don't have enough 'downward' force into the nut to stop them popping out. Sadly, an awful lot of the ones in this thread fail at that very basic first hurdle, even the eye-wateringly expensive ones...

• Like 1

I always liked the forked alloy Kramer headstock (have a hankering to this day for an 8-string. No clue what for!), but for me, this:

headstock.jpg

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

The original adjustable bridge too is a simple and good design...

The original bridge was Schaller.

The adjustable nut had some name like just-a-nut, didn't it?

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I cannot be doing with headstocks which have been badly designed - and by that I mean from an engineering POV: the strings shouldn't veer off sideways at the nut, and they shouldn't need afterthought string tensioners because they don't have enough 'downward' force into the nut to stop them popping out. Sadly, an awful lot of the ones in this thread fail at that very basic first hurdle, even the eye-wateringly expensive ones...

I know what you mean but if for example you're using a brass or well made, robust nut then the string exiting at a sideways angle has no ill effect any more than the string leaving at a downward angle which people regard as beneficial. Aesthetics aside, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itu said:

The original bridge was Schaller.

The adjustable nut had some name like just-a-nut, didn't it?

Nut - that’s what I meant!

I'm a sucker for 2+2.

My Vantages have a sleek shape that really appeals to me. As do old Arias and Matsumoku-built instruments.

20200401_210906.jpg

Edited by baa
  • Like 1