On 18/05/2019 at 17:56, StevieE said:

That's a nice bass you're selling BTW, didn't realise they had a 36mm neck though! 

2mm too thin for me.......damn, I've blown my cover

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I cant understand this...checking out a 90's fretless stingray at the moment and add reads: 'Immaculate' and 'home use only' . Do people really buy expensive instruments and never play them outside the home...why??

I wouldn't like to present an accurate figure but I would say that the majority of instruments sold are probably never played onstage, either because their owners don't gig or because they gig other things. I have guitars that I play around the house but wouldn't tour due to not working for that band or just being too sentimental to risk. There are even a significant percentage of posters on these forums who don't gig!

Edited by borntohang

42 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I cant understand this...checking out a 90's fretless stingray at the moment and add reads: 'Immaculate' and 'home use only' . Do people really buy expensive instruments and never play them outside the home...why??

The one in Athlone? Check the withdrawn ads. A couple of years ago it had been "only gigged 4 times" 😉

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The one in Athlone? Check the withdrawn ads. A couple of years ago it had been "only gigged 4 times" 😉

Oh right...Seen it on Adverts.ie seems a bit pricey. Worth €800 max

Edited by Quilly
edit

3 hours ago, borntohang said:

On the app it's incredibly easy to accidentally click one of the automatic responses to a post you weren't even really looking at. 

I had this exact thing happen to me recently and received an 'Is this available' message from someone I knew. I replied with a 'Hi, yes it is.' To which he replied, 'Sorry mate, I didn't realise that I'd clicked on it'. I've had lots of 'Is this available' messages in the past, only to never hear from them again when I reply. I can only assume that a lot of them have clicked on it unintentionally too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Oh right...Seen it on Adverts.ie seems a bit pricey. Worth €800 max

Yeah, I remember it from a couple of years ago, there's an old version in his withdrawn ads on Adverts.

4 hours ago, borntohang said:

OK, so this is one of my massive bugbears about FB Marketplace and I have no idea why they made such a stupid interface choice. On the app it's incredibly easy to accidentally click one of the automatic responses to a post you weren't even really looking at. I consider myself fairly computer literate and not generally prone to fat thumbs syndrome, but four or five times now I have discovered that I've sent a message to a seller about something I have no interest in.

It was bad enough when it just posted a template comment on the post, but now that it actually messages the seller it's become a scourge that has nearly killed my remaining will to battle with the platform. Embarassing and a waste of time for both parties.

I feel bad about this one, but last year I sold a Rickenbacker 620 on gumtree and somebody offered me an incredibly low ball - something like 450 when I only wanted 950 on a 2K guitar in demo condition with all case candy plus some spare parts. I messaged him back politely and said I couldn't go lower than 900 collected but got a snarky message back and a offer of 550. I actually had a full price offer lined up so I just ignored that one, but for the next week he sent me increasingly desperate messages raising his offer slightly. The day I actually delivered the guitar to it's new home I got another message saying "OK, 950 DO WE HAVE A DEAL?!!!!" and really should have replied to decline, but to be honest I was enjoying myself a bit more than I strictly should have letting the git squirm. The other buyer turned out to be lovely and I spent almost two hours drinking coffee and swapping war stories.

Ahh right, I hadn't realised that clicking that also sent an IM to Messager. Explains it... 🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Ahh right, I hadn't realised that clicking that also sent an IM to Messager. Explains it... 🙄

It's an incredibly pointless feature and I have no idea who they think it helps!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, borntohang said:

It's an incredibly pointless feature and I have no idea who they think it helps!

Right, cos typing "I'm interested" isn't particularly difficult, do we really need that done for us. 

Its probably an American sales thing,L. You've got a red hot lead, they must be interested to have been looking in the first place. There's no such thing as accidents, close that sale etc... 🙄😁

• Haha 1

In return for a 2014 custom Fodera 6 Elite 6-string I had, some clown here offered me the pick of 3 basses from a selection of 4 he had - 2 US Standard Precision basses, 1 US Standard Jazz and a G&L L-2000.

I think a lot of chancers think you're super desperate to sell/trade or they think you're actually really dumb.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I got offered tattoos for a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman fretless... again.

So basically, "give us your Streamer, and in return I'll etch a permanent reminder that I've pretty much mugged you onto your skin"?

• Haha 6

On 19/05/2019 at 12:16, jezzaboy said:

There is a guy round my way that every time I put a bass up for sale on Gumtree he will give you a lowball offer. If you are asking £300 he will say something like "I know you are looking for £300 but I have £150 and can come over and collect the bass today." 

After 2 or 3 of these offers, I sent him back a mail congratulating him on giving a stupid offer on every bass I have put up for sale. Haven`t heard back from him since.

When people like this contact me, I respond with something like "To you, £400." - I acknowledge it's childish but it makes me feel a little bit better that I've at least been able to waste some of their time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I got offered tattoos for a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman fretless... again.

me too @EliasMooseblaster. So when you say 'again' this happens often does it? I mean tattoos specifically. I've had some weird stinky poo offered my way on trades, but not a tattoo yet. BTW, I do think mentioning the word trades in an ad invites the really extreme chancers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had it listed last year and the tattoo guy first offered then. After a enduring a number of tyre-kickers I lost motivation and withdrew the ad. I relisted it recently and the same guy made the same offer again.

I was also offered a Rockbass as a trade for it, an offer I also felt compelled to reluctantly decline 😂

The best part is I never invite trades. I’ve found even saying “no trades” will lead to a few “I know you said no trades but...” which are even more irritating. I don’t object to trade offers, as a general rule, but, as you say, inviting them can attract all kinds of silliness.

Edited by Doctor J

Conversely IME selling on basschat is harder but if you’re open to trades you get offered some really nice gear 

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:59, bubinga5 said:

Its 2mm and 2 pounds. 

hehe oops, 2 pounds? what weighs two pounds, apart from a litre of water, roughly :)

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2019 at 11:27, Steve Browning said:

Maybe there should be some form of selling template whereby this information is required to put a bass up for sale.

Mmmm...

Something like this?

Bass Guitar Selling Template.jpg

smiley

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

You forgot Battery Y/N (deviant) 🙂

652925555_BassGuitarSellingTemplate1.thumb.jpg.fee5d21ab475daacde26a1d469571f6d.jpg

Plays like: Butter, Margarine, Other spread.

Djents: Y/N

Mwah: Y/N

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Amp: Heft Included: Y/N  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

18 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Amp: Heft Included: Y/N  

Bass Guitar Selling Template 2.jpg

• Haha 7

On 19/05/2019 at 12:16, jezzaboy said:

There is a guy round my way that every time I put a bass up for sale on Gumtree he will give you a lowball offer. If you are asking £300 he will say something like "I know you are looking for £300 but I have £150 and can come over and collect the bass today." 

After 2 or 3 of these offers, I sent him back a mail congratulating him on giving a stupid offer on every bass I have put up for sale. Haven`t heard back from him since.

Gotta respect the dude, worth a try. At a bass up for £300, someone desperately in need of the cash would take the £150, I wouldn’t say that’s a ridiculous offer, £50 however would be!