22 minutes ago, ead said:

I just wait for the £1 selling fees offers to come around.

That little delight has recently become more complicated. If you list something this weekend (during the max £1 final value fee offer) and it doesn’t sell within 30 days, you automatically tie yourself into an auto relist (which they have named ‘Good TIl Cancelled) and if your item sells within that re-listing period you get hit for the full final value fee instead of the £1. As far as I can see, there is no way of avoiding it other than waiting 30 days and then manually cancelling all your listings and waiting for the next £1 offer day to roll around and repeat. I’m happy to be proven wrong by someone. Please.

Yeah, I clocked this too.  But if you do the research on selling prices and list according then it's normally OK.

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

So you don`t think that offering half the advertised price of a bass that`s at a very good price to start with is a ridiculous offer?

Please give me a shout the next time you have a bass for sale 😊

I will, I’m currently selling brand new condition RRP £850 PJB Suitcase Compact for a ridiculous £550. But as with the market these days I know if you want something sold, YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE. Otherwise it just point blank doesn’t sell.

On 24/05/2019 at 21:32, BassTractor said:

"No thanks, I'll just take it in the Sierra", and I did.

I'm guessing that isn't actually a euphemism? 

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2019 at 18:20, FDC484950 said:

. If someone offered me 50% of my asking price I’d politely ask them to F.R.O. ;) 

As is your option, but that doesn't make it necessarily a bad offer, in that you aren't interested but you haven't lost anything. When i was young I had to sell things for way below their value because I had no money and would have been homeless otherwise. Yes, it hurt to sell things too cheap, but not as much as sitting in the street with a nice guitar would have.

Edited by Woodinblack

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I'm guessing that isn't actually a euphemism? 

Indeed it's what really happened. It was an older upright piano, but was built so its height was low. Thus the piano fitted in a Ford Sierra estate - just.

11 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

for all it's faults I've found E bay is still the best place to shift stuff, and I find you don't get so many daft questions or time wasters, I try Gumtree and FB first if I'm not in a hurry, but usually finish up on E bay.

Trouble with Basschat is it's the only one you have to pay for if you don't sell, and I don't like selling anything that's less than perfect to fellow basssists, and there's usually something that's not quite right otherwise I wouldn't sell it would I? "best bass I've ever owned" yeah yeah that's why you're selling it

I find selling pedals takes just days on BC and also through other channels but shifting a bass isn't easy. There's some amazing deals in the lefty bass section but we are a very small market and we've probably all got what we need / can justify paying for. At any one point in time I'll be "watching" five or six basses on eBay and here but I'm not going to buy them unless a crazy deal comes up for the right bass, but it has to be a very special deal. 

11 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I will, I’m currently selling brand new condition RRP £850 PJB Suitcase Compact for a ridiculous £550. But as with the market these days I know if you want something sold, YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE. Otherwise it just point blank doesn’t sell.

So would you sell for £275? 

• Like 2

Not my story, but a mate of mine was selling a Boss DD3 pedal and got a trade offer of a broken DD3 plus a bit of cash. 😅

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That little delight has recently become more complicated. If you list something this weekend (during the max £1 final value fee offer) and it doesn’t sell within 30 days, you automatically tie yourself into an auto relist (which they have named ‘Good TIl Cancelled) and if your item sells within that re-listing period you get hit for the full final value fee instead of the £1. As far as I can see, there is no way of avoiding it other than waiting 30 days and then manually cancelling all your listings and waiting for the next £1 offer day to roll around and repeat. I’m happy to be proven wrong by someone. Please.

I had a similar thing, listed an item while the sell for £1 was on, sold it, the buyer didn't pay, raised a dispute, and closed it when the time ran out, got my selling fee back, was asked if I wanted to relist it which I did, sold it again and got charged the full selling fee, it was only a couple of quid so I didn't bother arguing but it did annoy me

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

They are crafty f***ers. I have quite a bit listed, but fortunately I can cancel the top 100 most expensive listings and the highest value item left will only be around £15. If I was hit for one of my £500 listings, I wouldn’t be happy.

Yup, its all part of the merry dance. Kinda have to take a deep breath when you put something up of any worth and get ready for whatever may come...

I had a MM Bongo up for sale a few years ago, had a young guy who was super keen but was obviously struggling to get the money together. Had many back and forth emails where he was pleading for me to hold it for him while he sorted his stuff out. I probably could have sold it a couple of times over to other buyers but was cool with it as it was by all accounts his 'dream bass'. Anyways after he finally got his affairs in order, on the evening we were going to do the sale he pulled out at the last minute with no explanation. Did me a favour as I ended up pulling the ad and five years later I'm glad I hung on to it. I wasn't too bothered tbh as I know what a big purchase that was to someone starting out and how much I used to agonise over every detail back when I was a callow youth.

What really gets my goat, however, are the professional moaners on ebay. The one's who play the system knowing that if they play their cards right, they can potentially get to keep the item and get a full refund from ebay. I shipped a Genz cab to the US and one of the plastic corners took a bash in transit. I was happy to offer £30-40 off (you can buy a plastic moulding for £3), but the buyer wasn't happy with that. This was one of the bottom rear corners so you'd never see it. Anyways, he ended up getting a full refund off ebay global shipping and keeping the item. While I was quids in as a result, it just seemed totally bonkers and is only going to encourage ppl who are angling for that kind of result. 

Posted (edited)

The site I’m using in Ireland adverts.ie is similar to gumtree and people in it are infuriating! It’s like they just want you to give them your valuable item for unwanted junk they have lying around. Very few seem to understand the concept ‘no trades’ , ‘pick up only’ .

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

There's also the "you don't live near me and that is your problem, therefore I a) expect you to deliver it to me for free, or b) will offer you substantially less because meeting you would mean I would have to leave my house briefly and the inconvenience could upset my hairstyle" gang on Adverts. I was made an offer on a pedal I was selling with an asking price of €40, they would only buy it if I delivered it to them in Dublin. It would have cost me around €40 in petrol and four hours of my life to do that. Other than that, I was crazy to decline their generous offer, I suppose.

There are some great people on that site but the bad ones really take it to the limit.

Posted (edited)
On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:01, Bassislife16 said:

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?' to the point that I thought he was taking the p--s - I just find it tedious.

Pre my time on Bass chat I was selling some Markbass gear on eBay and was contacted by someone claiming to be a teenager, asking whether I knock the price down to bring it into his price range - I was ok with this, but it turned out that the buyer was in his mid-fifties and the same gear was on sale in the Basschat classifieds while still in transit, with one of those Photos to follow posts 

This guy's only contributions on Basschat seem to be selling - I often wonder where he gets the stuff.

Edited by No lust in Jazz
Spelling - yeah I know...tsk
  • Sad 1

When I advertise (which isn't often) I make sure a full description and all info is included, I have researched the price and clearly stated all red lines, ie no pay pal etc.

Then you just have to sit back, deflect the jokers and wait for a real customer to come along. There have always been dickheads, which is why many ad's from the 60's on were inclined to state, "No time wasters".

I'm sure it's worse these days with the internet, but you have to have patience, stamina and not need the money in a hurry, take your time.

• Like 1

A rule of thumb that applies across most 'durable' goods is that once they show any signs of use the value drops to about 60% of new. You might get more for immaculate with-box items, most most buyers willing to pay, say, 80% of new value for a perfect example will usually consider going tehe xtra mile and buying new to get a warranty etc.

It's very easy to assume that because I paid X for this and it's 'still as good as when I got it' that it should retain most of its original value.

Obviously these rules don't apply where scarcity/collectability is a genuine factor.

Also worth bearing in mind that (a) 'there's one born every minute' applies to buyers and sellers and (b) the secret to selling for a good price or buying a bargain is patience and willpower (plus a little luck).

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?'

To which the most obvious answer is 'what is the maximum that you'd give for it?'

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A rule of thumb that applies across most 'durable' goods is that once they show any signs of use the value drops to about 60% of new. You might get more for immaculate with-box items, most most buyers willing to pay, say, 80% of new value for a perfect example will usually consider going tehe xtra mile and buying new to get a warranty etc.

It's very easy to assume that because I paid X for this and it's 'still as good as when I got it' that it should retain most of its original value.

Indeed - so when selling the first thing to look for is what they are going for now. Doesn't matter if you bought it at £800, if they are now £600 new you are not getting 700.

People also often don't consider the value of the ability to take it back to the shop or claim on the warantee. Unless something is very rare and very expensive I wouldn't pay above 75% for a second hand one in very good condition - hurts when you are selling but that is the way.

I just bought a s/h Yamaha Reface, they are £242 at PMT (where I would have bought one if they had price on them, but that is another thread!), most second hand ones on ebay are £210 + 10 shipping  - £24 difference for a warantee and take back if you don't like it service? Seems good value to me!

• Like 1

I'd expect nut width and weight to be in the sales description in the first place.

Especially if the nut width is only 36mm for a jazz - that is an unusual feature.

By not including those details the OP has wasted the time of the potential buyers, and has actually wasted his own time in not providing the information just once in the advert.

Did the OP update the advert with the answers to the questions when they came in? That would be a time saver too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

There's also the "you don't live near me and that is your problem, therefore I a) expect you to deliver it to me for free, or b) will offer you substantially less because meeting you would mean I would have to leave my house briefly and the inconvenience could upset my hairstyle" gang on Adverts. I was made an offer on a pedal I was selling with an asking price of €40, they would only buy it if I delivered it to them in Dublin. It would have cost me around €40 in petrol and four hours of my life to do that. Other than that, I was crazy to decline their generous offer, I suppose.

There are some great people on that site but the bad ones really take it to the limit.

I know, I remember selling a great 1 * 15 cab for WAY less than it was worth. On top of that I had to drive out of my way to deliver it. I felt like a right eejit. On another occasion I half offered to drive an amp to Dublin (on a pick up only advert) I changed my mind when a work colleague offered to take it off my hands. I know its not the done thing but I welshed on the deal .. I got a load of shitty feedback on my profile. Oh well.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - so when selling the first thing to look for is what they are going for now. Doesn't matter if you bought it at £800, if they are now £600 new you are not getting 700.

People also often don't consider the value of the ability to take it back to the shop or claim on the warantee. Unless something is very rare and very expensive I wouldn't pay above 75% for a second hand one in very good condition - hurts when you are selling but that is the way.

I just bought a s/h Yamaha Reface, they are £242 at PMT (where I would have bought one if they had price on them, but that is another thread!), most second hand ones on ebay are £210 + 10 shipping  - £24 difference for a warantee and take back if you don't like it service? Seems good value to me!

Plus people don't take into account that that 20% of the new cost was VAT anyway... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?' to the point that I thought he was taking the p--s - I just find it tedious.

Pre my time on Bass chat I was selling some Markbass gear on eBay and was contacted by someone claiming to be a teenager, asking whether I knock the price down to bring it into his price range - I was ok with this, but it turned out that the buyer was in his mid-fifties and the same gear was on sale in the Basschat classifieds while still in transit, with one of those Photos to follow posts 

This guy's only contributions on Basschat seem to be selling - I often wonder where he gets the stuff.

Happened to me... pet hate is that "what's your best price" question... almost as if I didn't put an advert up with what my best price is. I flat out refuse to negotiate on price if asked that question. 
Had a guy buy a bass off me... spent ages trying to talk me down, got it and it was on eBay within a couple of days. 

• Like 1