Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I always try and remain calm and polite when dealing with the idiots and annoyances - you never know if they are genuine buyers who may not be good at communicating, and have to say that with very few exceptions, the genuine buyers have been fine.

The annoyances are usually a variation on "will you take half of what it's worth", whether in cash because they can give it to me now, or if I contact them if it doesn't sell.  Or will I end the auction now if they pay me the current bid (like they think I will be grateful for them giving me the absolute minimum amount that I am guaranteed to get and will happily forego the possibility that people might bid more before the end of the auction).  Maybe they are trying to take advantage of someone who may need the money in a hurry, maybe they just figure that if they don't ask they don't get, maybe they just can't afford any more than what they have bid and really don't want to lose the item.  But that's OK, I can politely say no thanks.

The only ones that ever get to me are those who tell me that I'm in the wrong for not selling to them at their price, lecturing me as though I'm breaching their human rights for not selling them the item for what they want to pay, and how I'll regret it because I definitely won't get more than that.  Even then I'll tell them that I welcome their maximum bid at that price and explain how an auction works, so if they're right then they will get the item for the price they want to pay.

Though the people who contact you to say that they don't want the item but here are a few tips for how to make my ad attract more views...they just bemuse me

The one exception to my "genuine buyers are usually good chaps", which actually ended up being an OK sale, was one where the buyer didn't seem to read the "PayPal or cash only, bass can be collected in person or posted once PayPal payment has cleared into my bank account".  While he was genuine, everything he tried sounded like a scam:

  • Didn't have PayPal - can I give him my bank account details?  No
  • Doesn't want to pay for postage but doesn't work in London (armed with an All Zone travelcard I'd offered to drop it off anywhere near a tube station) so can I take it to his mate's place in Walthamstow and he will pick it up from him in due course?  No, and you haven't paid me yet so how about sorting out that PayPal stuff and getting me the money before we worry about where I'm delivering it to?
  • OK, he's sorted out PayPal and sent the money but because he's got a new account they've said that they won't confirm it to me until the payment clears from his bank account.  He's booked his ticket to London for two day's time so can he pick up the bass then even though I won't have the money in my bank account - he can show me e-mails confirming that he's sent the payment to PayPal for processing?  No.  Just no.

Eventually he did arrive with an envelope full of cash (and claiming that he had sorted out the payment he claimed to have sent by PayPal), so that was fine.  Although on receiving the bass he was disappointed to find that there wasn't a strap attached to it and he would have to pay extra to get one...there wasn't a strap in the ad, nor any promise that one would be provided.

I always suspected that if I had agreed to any of his requests then the bass would have gone and I'd never have seen any of the money.  In retrospect I'm amazed that he didn't try what I now know to be the con of paying me by PayPal, then collecting in person and asking for his money back because i had no proof of postage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

was genuine, everything he tried sounded like a scam:

  • Didn't have PayPal - can I give him my bank account details?  No
  •  

 

why not?

I'd have imagine that's safer for you, the seller, than Paypal is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mcnach said:

 

why not?

I'd have imagine that's safer for you, the seller, than Paypal is.

possibly, but "complete stranger asks for bank account details" always makes me worry, especially when I've been very clear about making the payment in a different way

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had my Ashdown CTM-100w amp up on an Irish version of Gumtree (Adverts.ie) for about a week for €700. Took it down because:

1. The only comms I was getting was for trade ins.

2. Although it was 1/2 price I knew Id have to haggle even more and probably lose another €100 on it.

3. Id probably be coerced into a semi delivery.

4. Id probably be persuaded into a trace in for another Item I didn't really want (but convinced myself that I did) 

5. I realized it was a cool amp and I really didn't want to sell it 😂.

I was surprised I didn't get more interest in it though it was virtually 1/2 price....some people just cant see a bargain when they see it. 🤔

 

Edited by Quilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

possibly, but "complete stranger asks for bank account details" always makes me worry, especially when I've been very clear about making the payment in a different way

Agreed if you ask for one thing you presumably don’t want another, but from a sellers POV, the bank way is many times safer than PayPal 

 

7 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I had my Ashdown CTM-100w amp up on an Irish version of Gumtree (Adverts.ie) for about a week for €700. 

I was surprised I didn't get mote interest in it though it was virtually 1/2 price. .

Like anything it depends on if people are buying when you are selling. The more unusual the item the fewer people looking. The amount of times I have looked for something and found out that what I wanted went the previous month for a price I would have been happy to pay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

as I understand it there's no problem giving enough bank a/c info out for someone to pay money in, they can't get money out with it, it's no more than what's on a debit card or cheque

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed if you ask for one thing you presumably don’t want another, but from a sellers POV, the bank way is many times safer than PayPal 

 

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Again, from an ad saying PayPal only...so I'm always twitchy about "buyers" who either haven't read the ad or have read it and decided that the bits they don't like shouldn't apply to them.  Why take the risk?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

as I understand it there's no problem giving enough bank a/c info out for someone to pay money in, they can't get money out with it, it's no more than what's on a debit card or cheque

they can, by setting up a direct debit or standing order.  You can then get the money back as it should be covered by the Direct Debit guarantee that all banks offer, but whether or not the bank can get the cash back from the criminals, and how quickly you spot what they've done - hassle i can do without

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

they can, by setting up a direct debit or standing order.  You can then get the money back as it should be covered by the Direct Debit guarantee that all banks offer, but whether or not the bank can get the cash back from the criminals, and how quickly you spot what they've done - hassle i can do without

I think they are safeguards in place to stop this happening, they would need access to your bank account, something Name, account number and sort code doesn't give them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Again, from an ad saying PayPal only...so I'm always twitchy about "buyers" who either haven't read the ad or have read it and decided that the bits they don't like shouldn't apply to them.  Why take the risk?

No,

You transfer the money back to him. He then reclaims £10-K via paypal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Again, from an ad saying PayPal only...so I'm always twitchy about "buyers" who either haven't read the ad or have read it and decided that the bits they don't like shouldn't apply to them.  Why take the risk?

They probably weren't even trying to launder money. The scam is that they appear to have paid money onto your account, but the payment is not confirmed. It shows on your account, but funds have not actually been received. You then send the £9,400 off and a week later, the "payment" disappears from your account, leaving you out of pocket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No,

You transfer the money back to him. He then reclaims £10-K via paypal.

no

he wanted my bank account details so that he could transfer the money - nothing to do with PayPal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

They probably weren't even trying to launder money. The scam is that they appear to have paid money onto your account, but the payment is not confirmed. It shows on your account, but funds have not actually been received. You then send the £9,400 off and a week later, the "payment" disappears from your account, leaving you out of pocket.

entirely possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think they are safeguards in place to stop this happening, they would need access to your bank account, something Name, account number and sort code doesn't give them. 

they would need access to my account for a standing order, but not to set up a Direct Debit - those are set up by the recipient, not the payee

The safeguards in place only protect me against that after it has happened and I can get my money back

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a bank account since I was 17.  So that is nearly 45 years.  For the first 42 or more of those years I paid for stuff - like the rest of the world - by writing cheques, which have my name, sort code and bank account details quite clearly written on them.  No one has cleared me out of money or set up hooky DDs.  I think you must be mistaken.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I've had a bank account since I was 17.  So that is nearly 45 years.  For the first 42 or more of those years I paid for stuff - like the rest of the world - by writing cheques, which have my name, sort code and bank account details quite clearly written on them.  No one has cleared me out of money or set up hooky DDs.  I think you must be mistaken.

The fact it hasn’t happened isn’t proof that it can’t happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

point taken, but this was obviously a stunt to make Clarkson look stupid, there was no chance he'd lose the money, there's no point in a fraudster using this method because they couldn't keep the money, but yes, it is possible to set up a direct debit without the account holders permission.

It is easy to get direct debit payments back, I've done it when an energy company I'd left kept taking payments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Ah no, see that is a known scam, nothing to do with the bank.

You get a notification saying you had £10,000, you pay out the 9,400 and then it turns out the 10,000 never existed in the first place.

Edited by Woodinblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

point taken, but this was obviously a stunt to make Clarkson look stupid, there was no chance he'd lose the money, there's no point in a fraudster using this method because they couldn't keep the money, but yes, it is possible to set up a direct debit without the account holders permission.

It is easy to get direct debit payments back, I've done it when an energy company I'd left kept taking payments

But it’s not about clearing out your bank account in one go, it’s about taking a few quid each month from as many people don’t check their bank account and won’t notice

its also a pretty basic phishing move, to ask for any personal info that isn’t required , no matter how little risk there seems to be in releasing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ah no, see that is a known scam, nothing to do with the bank.

You get a notification saying you had £10,000, you pay out the 9,400 and then it turns out the 10,000 never existed in the first place.

Ah, a variation on the Nigerian prince..:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live on the edge, me.  I write cheques.  I cross the road, too, sometimes.  I just don't care. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think of it like this

Ebay has given away your name and address, PayPal confirms your e-mail address, and now a shady sounding character wants your bank details.  It then becomes pretty easy to track you down on Facebook, which with a little bit of digging confirms your date of birth, and look you were playing "what's your pornstar name" which gives the answer to two of the most common security questions, and then LinkedIn confirms where you work.

That's plenty of information for somebody to start making credit and store card applications in your name...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I think of it like this

Ebay has given away your name and address, PayPal confirms your e-mail address, and now a shady sounding character wants your bank details.  It then becomes pretty easy to track you down on Facebook, which with a little bit of digging confirms your date of birth, and look you were playing "what's your pornstar name" which gives the answer to two of the most common security questions, and then LinkedIn confirms where you work.

That's plenty of information for somebody to start making credit and store card applications in your name...

like one or to of us have said it's fairly easy to get your bank details as well, if you're concerned about fraud maybe cash is king for you, me? I'd rather get paid straight into my bank account than paypal, no fees and no chance of being conned on paypal who nearly always side with the buyer, or so I'm told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

They probably weren't even trying to launder money. The scam is that they appear to have paid money onto your account, but the payment is not confirmed. It shows on your account, but funds have not actually been received. You then send the £9,400 off and a week later, the "payment" disappears from your account, leaving you out of pocket.

 

18 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

no

he wanted my bank account details so that he could transfer the money - nothing to do with PayPal

Some time back I owned a business and we were selling stuff online. Someone paid by cheque. We sent out the goods after the money was in the account.

Months later the money disappeared from the bank account.... "WTF!!!!"  Contacted the bank..  The bank informed us that the cheque bounced.  

When you give the bank details you assume they pay by BACS, but they could also do it by paying a cheque into a branch. The bank processes the amount and puts it into your account. You're happy and pass the goods on. The bank has up to 6 months to bounce the cheque if the funds don't arrive. He's long gone. He may even have collected the goods and you may have no more to go on than an email address.

Also, @Monkey Steve on your transaction; the buyer set up a Paypal account, said he'd paid. Then came and paid cash, but he was able to stop the Paypal payment?!?! 

You dodged a bullet there. If he was able to stop the payment he would have been able to do that after you'd parted with the goods.

I don't like Paypal due to the claiming back after goods "didn't arrive". But if you deliver to a mate - this could be a drop-off shop only. They might have no records of who the buyer is. Selling is a nightmare.

Edited by Grangur
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...