1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But eBay's term and conditions do require that in exchange for using their platform, you agree to accept certain types of payment.

They know full well that some sellers use a variety of tricks to sell for cash off ebay, then claim the sale never went through in order to avoid paying ebay fees.

I have sold many things via eBay and have insisted on cash on collection for some (usually musical items which are too large/fragile to post). Musical items also seem to attract scammers and chancers more than other things I sell (fishing tackle, for example), so cash is the safest bet. I have never had a problem. eBay can point to "terms and conditions" all it likes, but they don't trump the law of the land (which allows you to specify payment in the form of your choosing for anything you sell). Of course, I don't try to dodge paying sellers' fees when I sell for cash. I've no doubt eBay would be after me if I did (and quite rightly). When you sell for CoC, make sure you get the buyer to sign a receipt, so they cannot claim they never received the item.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They know full well that some sellers use a variety of tricks to sell for cash off ebay, then claim the sale never went through in order to avoid paying ebay fees.

Thats different from a cash sale though. Even for cash I am still paying the same fees (especially as ebay don't own paypal any more).

I have always insisted on paypal for postage (or other methods) but cash only for collection, and I remember last time I looked the only time you were allowed to mention cash payments was for collection.

There is obviously nothing to stop you charging a huge amount for shipping and paypal, and free for cash for collection.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats different from a cash sale though. Even for cash I am still paying the same fees (especially as ebay don't own paypal any more).

I have always insisted on paypal for postage (or other methods) but cash only for collection, and I remember last time I looked the only time you were allowed to mention cash payments was for collection.

There is obviously nothing to stop you charging a huge amount for shipping and paypal, and free for cash for collection.

yes - you can insist on cash only for collection, and also state that it's collection only

Had a buyer once suggest that he tell eBay that he had pulled out of the sale so that they didn't charge me fees and we could split the saving.  Told him I wasn't interested...don't object to paying eBay's fees, don;t need to save a fiver that much, and basically, I'm not dishonest

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting folks here are trying to rip eBay off, but there are people who do (I've been contacted by tehm too) so they try and make life difficult for them which has a knock on for honest sellers who want cash on collection.

• Like 1

Just my two-penneth, but the offer to split the saving having told EBaythesale is cancelled -

amounts to criminal theft - worth getting a Record for?  ---- Not in my book, squire........

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blisters on my fingers said:

It is SQUIER   

Jesus Christ !!!!!   how many more times ???? 

Just once more please. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Had a buyer once suggest that he tell eBay that he had pulled out of the sale so that they didn't charge me fees and we could split the saving.

I have had that many times - although split the saving? Its not him doing anything wrong, why does he need a cut!

But I think its wrong, you are using their service for something you would only get by being there, and also you could be kicked out of your account. Its people doing that that makes eBay so tricky to use, with all the restrictions.

• Like 2

I've not evaded the Ebay fee and can't see the point when an item is no more than £300 or so. But when an item is £2400 and the fee is 10% it does seem excessive for the "work" they have actually done.  (Fees are capped at £250 per item)

It would be better if their fees were reduced progressively as the item goes up in value.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grangur said:

I've not evaded the Ebay fee and can't see the point when an item is no more than £300 or so. But when an item is £2400 and the fee is 10% it does seem excessive for the "work" they have actually done.  (Fees are capped at £250 per item)

That depends - if you get £2400 for it when you sell it, is that better than if you could only sell it for £2000 somewhere else?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That depends - if you get £2400 for it when you sell it, is that better than if you could only sell it for £2000 somewhere else?

Fair point. I do think that on Ebay you get top price for it.

Posted (edited)

A guy contacted me regarding an item I withdrew from online adverts . He told me he still might be interested but wasn’t sure ...I kid you not.

Edited by Quilly
Edit
  • Haha 2

On 08/06/2019 at 10:59, Quilly said:

A guy contacted me regarding an item I withdrew from online adverts . He told me he still might be interested but wasn’t sure ...I kid you not.

Well... I get paid on the 28th, and if my Squier Jag bass sells then I will definitely still be interested. Would you consider trading for an OLP Stingray bass with the finish sanded off with a brick? It sounds as good as a MusicMan! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The worst thing about time waster is that they want your goods for a ridiculously low price . I’m all for bargaining but some take the P altogether. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

The worst thing about time waster is that they want your goods for a ridiculously low price . I’m all for bargaining but some take the P altogether. 

Are you not referring to what the Yanks call 'Low Ballers'? Time Wasters are not necessarily Low Ballers though they most often can be.

2 hours ago, Quilly said:

Or the J

• Haha 2

Classic timewaster has been PM-ing me.

My ad says "£400 firm" and NO trades.
He asks "Trades or £300?"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm".

He offers "£350 cash"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm"

He replies that he's "OK thanks"

WTF was the point of all that?!? Can people not read?! I'm all for making one CLOSE offer (we all do it) but after that? Really....?!?

Edited by cetera

I'm selling a GK cab on eBay, £50 start price.

I get an offer for £45 from a zero feedback user. Declined and suggested they hadn't quite grasped the concept. Instantly get an offer of £50. Declined that and now I get an offer of £75, anyone care to bet on the likelihood of me actually receiving that if I accept the offer? (I'm not going to, by the way)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I'm selling a GK cab on eBay, £50 start price.

I get an offer for £45 from a zero feedback user. Declined and suggested they hadn't quite grasped the concept. Instantly get an offer of £50. Declined that and now I get an offer of £75, anyone care to bet on the likelihood of me actually receiving that if I accept the offer? (I'm not going to, by the way)

I get that people have to start somewhere with eBay, but I really think you should be able to limit what a newbie can buy. Say nothing above £20 until you have 10 positive feedbacks. That might stop some of the idiots messing the good guys about.

26 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I get that people have to start somewhere with eBay, but I really think you should be able to limit what a newbie can buy. Say nothing above £20 until you have 10 positive feedbacks. That might stop some of the idiots messing the good guys about.

Idiots will always find a way to mess things up no matter what rules are in place. Don't think there's a practical way around it. 

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Classic timewaster has been PM-ing me.

My ad says "£400 firm" and NO trades.
He asks "Trades or £300?"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm".

He offers "£350 cash"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm"

He replies that he's "OK thanks"

WTF was the point of all that?!? Can people not read?! I'm all for making one CLOSE offer (we all do it) but after that? Really....?!?

I either don't respond to clowns like this or respond with childish things like "To you, £500."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

What happens to those people who only join eBay because they want one thing? I know someone who wanted a guitar that was listed on ebay that he had been after for years, so he joined, bought that guitar which he is happy with but has no intention of ever using eBay again.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What happens to those people who only join eBay because they want one thing? I know someone who wanted a guitar that was listed on ebay that he had been after for years, so he joined, bought that guitar which he is happy with but has no intention of ever using eBay again.

personally I would be very wary of selling to someone with low feedback, the only time I've had any trouble when selling is with someone who had  feedback of under 10

• Like 1