Why become a member? ×

Function bands. How not to look like catering staff?

uk_lefty

We play a mix of pub gigs, festivals and the odd function. At functions we once wore black suits and black ties, got told we looked like undertakers and it was hard to play dressed like that. So we got coloured ties and waistcoats. Not an issue. Then before last night's gig our guitarist keeps saying "we look like waiters" we were dismissing it having done that a few times now... While we were checking out the room to see how things were going and how long until we took the stage we got mistaken for staff. It happened again after I'd loaded my gear away at 2am! This is despite not being quite smart enough to look like staff ... We had jeans on, rolled up sleeves... And we'd been in the band playing on the stage for the last two and a half hours!! 

So how do your bands dress for functions to look smart but not get mistaken for staff? We like a level of uniformity but could happily ditch it for something we all agree on.

• Like 1

I have been in plenty of bands where their idea of smart was as you describe, black suits, shoes and ties, white shirts. Its a bit naff for most occasions.

In a few bands we have basically had some rules of what not to wear, so basically:

No black, no trainers, no blue stone washed jeans, no wearing just a t-shirt (a smart plain T-shirt with a waistcoat can look ok) and no super bright colours unless it’s a fun occasion or for friends etc.

This basically forced people into smart trousers/chinos, of varying colours sometimes, but more often than not grays. Smart tailored shirts with nice patterns or a solid muted colour, and more often than not, brown leather boots/shoes/brogues. Jeans were fine for pub gigs or casual settings but always dark gray, dark blue kind of denim, no ‘dad’ jeans. 

Obviously you judge the venue, and we did wear suits for occasions, but again always grays or blues etc. 

Edited by NJE

We have two colour schemes, blues and black/ gold. The ladies have to max out on glitz and us gents try and make sure there’s some texture and pattern. The band looks like a cohesive team with a bit of imagination and we don’t get lost in the crowd. But and I wear a hat but there’s a whole other thread....

We wear individual combinations of red and black. Anything we want as long as it's just those colours. In my case it's unfaded black jeans and either a Ferrari polo shirt or a red Beast T-shirt with 'gert lush' on it (it's a Bristol thing :D). 

PSX_20190120_203012.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

We wear individual combinations of red and black. Anything we want as long as it's just those colours. In my case it's unfaded black jeans and either a Ferrari polo shirt or a red Beast T-shirt with 'gert lush' on it (it's a Bristol thing :D). 

PSX_20190120_203012.jpg

Ahem!  Things - plural.

Lush Bristols usually come in pairs.

Cosmo Smallpiece,
Secretary, Misguided Pedants Association

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Ahem!  Things - plural.

Lush Bristols usually come in pairs.

Cosmo Smallpiece,
Secretary, Misguided Pedants Association

Beast used to do a similat shirt for the, errm, features to which you refer, it bore the legend...

imgTshirtGinorm_2_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 1

I played a wedding  gig once where the waiting staff were opera- type singers incognito and the whole premise was to make them appear if they were just regular guys/girls and they suddenly started singing (after the meal had been served). It was quite effective and went on for about 30 minutes: they did all the old hits like Nesum Dorma......

We offer a couple of options.  Either vintage-style dresses, and vintage-style three-piece suits (tweed etc).  Or, gold sparkly dresses, and burgundy dinner jackets with black trousers & black neck tie (think Motown vibe).  We also sometimes gig in black tie.  It's important if the client is paying thousands of pounds that you look like you cost that much.

• Like 3

At a wedding, during the set-up/sound check process, we wore our usual black, short-sleeved shirts with the band's name embroidered in gold on the back, and black trousers. As we sat at a table outside, enjoying the pig roast that the bride and groom had laid on for their guests, we were asked by the Best Man, how we'd got on today and if we knew the bride and groom. He pointed them out, saying, "They're over there, if you'd like to buy them a drink." A short while later, he came back and apologised, saying, " I didn't realise you were the band, I thought you were the bowls team."

Depends upon the gigs. I have a reputation in my band for wearing slag trousers... they are black - but certainly not of the type that would be worn by a waiter.

Some of our gigs, we kinda dress like the scissor sisters... others we may wear black and accessorise with tat like scarfs and the like. The lead singers are usually outrageous enough so there's no mistaking who they are.

I always say to my band, if you walk in the room and the guests don't immediately know that you're in the band, you've failed.

Kinda helps that the singers are both quite brave on that front... bodycon dresses, rubber, feathers, wings... and that's just the male singer.

17 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Got our first ever wedding booking for later this year, no idea what to wear. Lead guitarist wants full on suits, no one else does.

We always used to wear suits for Social clubs, functions and weddings etc. We had them on in our publicity shots and we woudl get based on what the customer saw, so it made sense to keep with that image unless asked not to (happened a few times when they wanted a more rock look)

Never had any 'waiter' issues in over 600 gigs.