Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

18 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Wichita Lineman.

It's a highly rated song apparently but it completely turns me off. As I do my radio if I hear it starting. 

One of my favourite ever songs. Good job we’re all different though eh? 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Horse with no name, every time I hear the line "cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" I think why is 'for' in there? makes no sense, totally wrong, just sing the line without it.

It annoys me that someone went across the desert on a horse and didn't even have the decency to name it.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Horse with no name, every time I hear the line "cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain" I think why is 'for' in there? makes no sense, totally wrong, just sing the line without it.

I think they reckoned it probably gives a funny off clippity clop stop in the rhythm, like a horse 😁

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It annoys me that someone went across the desert on a horse and didn't even have the decency to name it.

Even if you did it wouldn't come if you called it, ornery creatures.. 

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2018 at 08:42, Woodinblack said:

The songs. The absolutely blandness and whineyness of the songs - the voice just penetrates everything like chalk down a blackboard, and it is hard to separate from the covers. The generic dullness of a bunch of chords in the 'how did that get so big when it is so ordinary'. The groups of drunk blokes badly singing along to the songs. The 'there are a million better songs in the world, why on earth would you want to do that?' of them.

Pretty well everything.

I am not saying I am a fan of the gallagher brothers, but I am not one that lets my views on an artist affect my view on the music, or there would be loads of music I wouldn't listen to.

I agree with all this... but I'd still play them if I was in a covers bands and wanted some Friday / Saturday night gigs.

Really I think I have songs I hate, and then songs I hate but would be a useful part of a covers set list if the money is right.

I'm just a whore really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, casapete said:

One of my favourite ever songs. Good job we’re all different though eh? 🙂

Oh absolutely! I mean it's not like any of this is by choice after all. Some songs work for us and some just turn us off with no rhyme or reason. 

I do have a soft spot for Ferry Cross The Mersey though too 🙂

I also really like Reef and Amy Winehouse, unlike others here 😄🤷

Edited by miles'tone

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The little bass Vl solo in that is great... 

True, and I totally recognise that it's a better song than I will ever write. I just can't stand the sound of it. Maybe I was traumatised as a child while it was playing and don't remember or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

True, and I totally recognise that it's a better song than I will ever write. I just can't stand the sound of it. Maybe I was traumatised as a child while it was playing and don't remember or something.

I think the story goes it wasn't quite finished, it needed another verse, but as studio time was marching on, they just recorded it anyway and bunged the lil' bass solo in instead. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I think the story goes it wasn't quite finished, it needed another verse, but as studio time was marching on, they just recorded it anyway and bunged the lil' bass solo in instead. 

I was fortunate enough to see the composer of ‘Wichita Lineman’, Jimmy Webb, perform the song

last year at The Stables in Milton Keynes. Just him playing grand piano - absolutely wonderful.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Shame she didn't say "Yes", really.

That’s mainly it , she was being massively promoted on the radio while in obvious trouble with addiction and everyone just seemed to  ignore it . This song just seems to pretend that it wasn’t a problem, then it killed  her.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

I was fortunate enough to see the composer of ‘Wichita Lineman’, Jimmy Webb, perform the song

last year at The Stables in Milton Keynes. Just him playing grand piano - absolutely wonderful.

I probably would have enjoyed that too!

• Like 1

For any curmudgeons (and this is a particularly curmudgeonly thread) who don't rate The Smiths because they (for understandable reasons) can't get over Morrissey, check out Rick Astley and the Blossoms' set of Smiths songs at Glasto (still on t'th'iPlayer IIRC) - terrific pop...

• Like 1

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

See also Don't look back in Anger and Mr Brightside ....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

For any curmudgeons (and this is a particularly curmudgeonly thread) who don't rate The Smiths because they (for understandable reasons) can't get over Morrissey, check out Rick Astley and the Blossoms' set of Smiths songs at Glasto (still on t'th'iPlayer IIRC) - terrific pop...

I did try that. It was better, but still not enough to make me want to listen to more than about 3 songs. And those 3 songs will happily do me for the next few years.

The Smiths, Morrisey, and Van Morrison are the only three artists I've blocked from playing on my Spotify account.

Van Morrison just doesn't sit right with me. I had to study Tupelo Honey as one of a few pieces that might come up in the exam for my A level in music and explain how it was nice and made you calm because of chord structures, etc. It didn't though. It made me irrationally annoyed. Like the whole song was disengenuous. Thankfully I didn't have to lie about it, as it wasn't one of the pieces chosen. Apparently the exam board don't care that music is subjective!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

I did try that. It was better, but still not enough to make me want to listen to more than about 3 songs. And those 3 songs will happily do me for the next few years.

The Smiths, Morrisey, and Van Morrison are the only three artists I've blocked from playing on my Spotify account.

Van Morrison just doesn't sit right with me. I had to study Tupelo Honey as one of a few pieces that might come up in the exam for my A level in music and explain how it was nice and made you calm because of chord structures, etc. It didn't though. It made me irrationally annoyed. Like the whole song was disengenuous. Thankfully I didn't have to lie about it, as it wasn't one of the pieces chosen. Apparently the exam board don't care that music is subjective!

exactly the same for me the only time I've really liked Smith songs was when Sandie Shaw did them

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

Layla by Clappedout .. on and on and on

Oh yes and that atrocious Umbrella ella ella by whoever it was, particularly that part. That line is criminally bad.

That shocking "Irish" ditty by Sheeran. You know the one -

"I had a little fiddle with an Irish man

in the back of his Transit van.

I said you can do what ever you can,

then he hit me round the head with a frying pan."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

Great description and I have to agree 

3 hours ago, Clarky said:

I despise the Blues Brothers' 'Everybody wants somebody'. Not so much because of the song but due to its amazing power to cause a headlong rush to the dance floor from lagered-up lads (who normally prefer to booze rather than dance), knocking everyone aside, leaving a trail of death and destruction and lots of bro-hugging.

I must admit, I struggle with the whole Blues Brothers thing. Great film but the way it turned some

great songs into what became boozy anthems I found rather annoying, especially as had been a fan

of this music since the 60’s. Ditto The Commitments, and what followed on from that film.

I suppose it’s best to regard them both as vehicles for younger generations to hopefully access fantastic

soul music, same as I did with English blues players being a gateway to the original stuff.

18 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I think they reckoned it probably gives a funny off clippity clop stop in the rhythm, like a horse 😁

Even if you did it wouldn't come if you called it, ornery creatures.. 

Horse with no name was written as a send up of Neil Young songs I thought.....

bit like the 'Southern Man' song by Young with 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Skynyrd as a repost......no love lost betwixt the two apparently  

3 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Horse with no name was written as a send up of Neil Young songs I thought.....

bit like the 'Southern Man' song by Young with 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Skynyrd as a repost......no love lost betwixt the two apparently  

There wasn't any feud between Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd. https://groovyhistory.com/neil-young-lynyrd-skynyrd-feud-sweet-home-alabama/7

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clarky said:

Oh yes! Don't Look Back In Anger is another one than makes me feel, just, angry.

Firstly for NG's singing but mostly for that god awful drum break that sounds like somebody throwing a cardboard box down the stairs.