Why become a member? ×

Songs you absolutely hate

lozkerr

16 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I would always try to give John Peel the benefit of the doubt with his myriad and eclectic discoveries, but what he saw in that song baffles me to this day.

I used to quite like the Undertones but always skipped this track. It doesn't bug me bu it's definitely one of their weakest.

+ another for BoRap. I've heard some say it's a tongue in cheek song and deliberately OTT. It's less the song itself that irks but the way it's always been trotted out on music radio decade in decade out. Ditto for We Are The Champions, Another One,,, We Will Rock You.  Radio show programmers are to blame

18 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I would always try to give John Peel the benefit of the doubt with his myriad and eclectic discoveries, but what he saw in that song baffles me to this day.

Actually that was the worst bit, the singer always started with “this is John peels favourite song”. Tbh, I didn’t hate it, I just got fed up of it, although not as much as Mary Janes last dance, or need you love so bad

I'm not sure that 'hate' is exactly the right term, but I'll admit to not appreciating 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush' (Max Bygraves...), and never have. Similarly I'll readily turn off any Offenbach which comes up on the radio; with even greater alacrity if it's the French Can-can stuff. Rossini's William Tell overture has worn thin with me, and I can leave Danny Kaye's 'comic' renditions of the Emperor's New Clothes and The Ugly Duckling. Other than those (there may well be more that I've thankfully forgotten...), I'll give most stuff its chance, at least once or twice. After all, if one can listen through 'Satisfaction' as a drummer, one can support just about anything. :|

• 5 years later...

Sfunny how some songs are just awful and don't fit any genre. As Ive already mentioned, tunes like The Birdy Song and Aga Doo are intentionally very very well written to do a job. But last yr I stood in for a bass player and one of the tunes was by George Ezra?? omfg! Myself and the drummer nearly got up and walked....in 40 yrs Ive never played such a dreary droney pile of whatsit.

• Like 1

I don't hate any song, because the songs i don't like i listen only once, but there is one that makes me just feel somehow strange, don't know why. That is why i have put it as my alarm on mobile phone, when i have to wake up early. For that it works superb! The song is - Johnny B Goode.

Actually  "Wake me up before you go go" I've always thought annoying, luckily I've never been called upon to play it. 

I'm not a Wham hater as such tho.. as an incidental, a friend had some dealings with G. Michael long ago and aparrently he was a really nice chap and a top bloke by all accounts. 

Spookily someone's blaring Careless Whisper on their car stereo right outside just as I posted this

Edited by Waddo Soqable

13 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Actually  "Wake me up before you go go" I've always thought annoying, luckily I've never been called upon to play it. 

I'm not a Wham hater as such tho.. as an incidental, a friend had some dealings with G. Michael long ago and aparrently he was a really nice chap and a top bloke by all accounts. 

Spookily someone's blaring Careless Whisper on their car stereo right outside just as I posted this

Now I know what to do! Give me Your adress and when i will be right behind You, I will take Your P-bass and play the song !!!😁

• Like 1

Wonder wall and pretty much anything by the Eagles. My problem isn’t necessarily with the material by the original artists (mostly) but is due to the number of times I’ve heard less able musicians butcher them, to the point where I find the originals unlistenable.

The same cannot be said for Steely Dan. On paper their records should be amazing and render all other music unnecessary, given the calibre of the writers, players and producers on their recordings.  Sadly what they delivered was overproduced, cheesy yacht-rock. 

I know that probably makes me unpopular, but it’s a hill I’m prepared to die on.

• Like 4

Rehab by Amy Winehouse. Firstly, because it's a rubbish song on a brilliant album and really doesn't belong in the same company as the other tracks and secondly, because she really should have taken her father's advice and gone to rehab.

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

This thread isn't long enough for me to list all my hates (I hate punk, metal, rock, most pop, rap, hip-hop, dance, trance). There - I've finally said it. 😤

Feel the same about most 'Literature', 'Art', 'Film' and sport.

So you're Scrooge as well as Marley then 😁

• Thanks 1