Why become a member? ×

Toyah Wilcox

Blink

12 hours ago, super al said:

Whereabouts are you (I'm not a stalker, honest). A few years back I was told that Bob n Toyah lived just outside Salisbury in one of the many posh villages. Just a rumour like, never actually saw them in Waitrose or owt (just the drummer from Dodgy, which was good enough for me)

I'm in south east kent. Most of her band are here but she isn't.

3 hours ago, lurksalot said:

a great way to promote yourself 

To be fair, she'd already been in Derek Jarman's "Jubilee" with Adam Ant, so her luvvie credentials were already established.

I remember bringing my copy of "Sheep Farming" to the school disco and getting the DJ to play "Neon Womb". Me and Swamp and Sgav jumped around on our own while the rest of the kidz stared and probably sniggered from inside their voluminous trousers :)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

To be fair, she'd already been in Derek Jarman's "Jubilee" with Adam Ant, so her luvvie credentials were already established.

I remember bringing my copy of "Sheep Farming" to the school disco and getting the DJ to play "Neon Womb". Me and Swamp and Sgav jumped around on our own while the rest of the kidz stared and probably sniggered from inside their voluminous trousers :)

Quality, did sister Paul not join you :D

• Haha 1

Reluctantly took my then girlfriend to see her way back in about 1982. Her backing band had Phil Spalding on bass and Simon Phillips on drums... not too shabby. Cracking gig in the end. Not at all what I’d expected.

Edited by TrevorR

She's performing along with Roger Taylor, Paul Young and Madeline Bell as part of the SAS Band (Spikes All Stars) who are the Sunday headline act at our local Festival, Weyfest, in August. Apparently they are doing a 2 hour set.  Should be good.

It was rumoured Toyah and her band used practice in the old theatre in Cannock just before she launched into the charts.

My works colleague has a photograph of himself taken with Toyah when she played the Robin Hood 2 in Bilston a few years ago. He said she was very polite and was happy to talk and mix with the audience.

I did a show in Holker in Cumbria with Toyah a couple of years ago and she was great, very friendly and approachable.

We really enjoyed listening to her performance, including her stories about her early years and life in showbiz. Can't fault her.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wayne58 said:

. . . .  including her stories about her early years and life in showbiz. Can't fault her.

Really? When the 30th anniversary tour was being considered, the band, who were instrumental in her success in the early days, were told they weren't being included. 

Using "the guys" on the way up and discarding them when you get there is a sadly common trait.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Really? When the 30th anniversary tour was being considered, the band, who were instrumental in her success in the early days, were told they weren't being included. 

Using "the guys" on the way up and discarding them when you get there is a sadly common trait.

I think after 30 years relationships and musical partnerships would probably have changed and moved on.

7 minutes ago, wayne58 said:

I think after 30 years relationships and musical partnerships would probably have changed and moved on.

There are lots of reunion tours which were exactly that, reunions.

There are others, it seems, who rather imagine they did all by themselves.

37 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There are lots of reunion tours which were exactly that, reunions.

There are others, it seems, who rather imagine they did all by themselves.

Reunion or anniversary?

Going on to persue an acting career.......40+ theatre productions and 10 feature films later, perhaps she was genuinely talented in her own right?

8 minutes ago, wayne58 said:

Reunion or anniversary?

Going on to persue an acting career.......40+ theatre productions and 10 feature films later, perhaps she was genuinely talented in her own right?

Maybe. Or could it have been something to do with the fact that she didn't look like the back of a 39 bus?