Why become a member? ×

Do you need something to iron your clothes on ?

fleabag

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

To be fair, he’s put himself out there, so he should probably expect a bit of joshing as well as the good stuff.

Exactly. IMO these multi string basses are hideous looking. All the examples I find on YT are of admittedly highly competant players knocking out widdly new age jazzy stuff.  Not my bag at all but if it floats other people boats , well that's fine too

I don't really think of these extended range instruments as basses, some of them have the same tonal range as a piano.

Obviously you can play basslines on them, but you can play basslines on a keyboard too.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

I don't really think of these extended range instruments as basses, some of them have the same tonal range as a piano.

Obviously you can play basslines on them, but you can play basslines on a keyboard too.

Agreed. I dont see the difference between so called multi-string basses and  this sorta thing

http://www.conklinguitars.com/custom_9_string_guitar_multi_scale_black_ebony.html

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

To be fair, he’s put himself out there, so he should probably expect a bit of joshing as well as the good stuff.

Why?

Why should fun be made of someone on-line because of his instrument of choice?

Sorry but I don't see it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cato said:

It's a bass that they've extended the range of.

I used to play a 7 string and loved it. The chord voicing possible were brilliant, as was too were the higher notes for melodic playing, I could get some fantastic sounds high up on the F string with an ebow.

It's all about what you do. Something like this or indeed even just a 6 string isn't necessary and would possibly look daft if all you do is play alright now or Valerie down the local pub.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

Why?

Why should fun be made of someone on-line because of his instrument of choice?

Sorry but I don't see it.

The practical answer to that is ‘If you don’t like any sort of criticism, don’t perform in public, and don’t post anything on social media.’

It comes with the territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

The practical answer to that is ‘If you don’t like any sort of criticism, don’t perform in public, and don’t post anything on social media.’

It comes with the territory.

I was always taught if you haven’t anything nice to say, don’t say it 😊.

I read the OP as a humerous comment on the width of the instruments neck, not as a personal attack on the person playing it.  The gentleman himself wasn't mentioned.

But I guess we can see what we want in any given situation.  

Personally I'd prefer a Chapman Stick for ERB but each to his own.

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 1