Why become a member? ×

Do you need something to iron your clothes on ?

fleabag

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

How does that work if one genuinely wishes to criticise..? o.O

What is there to criticise?

I was looking on the daily fail website yesterday, as I do occasionally purely for amusement. There was an article about the guy giving evidence to MPs about the Cambridge analytica thing. So many comments were just concerned with the colour of the guys hair, totally ignoring what he was saying. Similar to this, who really cares how many strings someone’s instrument has, they can play it, they enjoy it, people like watching/listening to them.

Its good that people do think outside of the box. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone thought the same and dressed the same?

Edited by ambient

1 hour ago, ambient said:

I was always taught if you haven’t anything nice to say, don’t say it 😊.

But in the real world, who can honestly say they never criticise or poke fun. It's human nature. Not nice but then again there are many unpleasant things humans do. Anyway, the comment in the OP was about the instrument and not the player. The OP wasn't saying the guy shouldn't be playing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambient said:

What is there to criticise?...

All that is fine and dandy, but beside my point. I'd agree with you that spurious jeering is Not Nice, and a Bad Thing; my question was more to do with criticising something (anything, not just this bloke's 'ironing board'...) if one is to hold the premise 'If you've nothing good to say, say nothing'. It's rare (but not unheard of...) for me to offer derogatory comments unless there is mention of 'Comments welcome', or 'What do you think of it..?', in which case I'll give my honest view, whether good or bad. I would rarely shoot down in flames, and usually try to inject a note of humour, or at least attempt some positive council if I can, but I'm not really a 'sugar-coated' person, and, whilst avoiding giving offence for its own sake, think that calling a spade a spade is permissible, and even recommended.

Edited by Dad3353

20180323_192934.thumb.jpg.10173fe32817aca81eaee7cdbe0f63f4.jpg

Here's 4 of mine, and while beauty is of course subjective, I love the look of them, they are playable art to me, the woods used and sheer quality of work are simply stunning, they all play unbelievably well with low action and comfortable necks, and they are absolutely not for everyone, but most people who can't get their head round them, who have played them, understand instantly after 5 minutes of playing! For me, they're perfect, for you maybe not. For each their own lest us all be assigned a number and wear only beige!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 4

Damn straight sir! I very much agree with that... there is a line between jest/bants and truly hurtful words, I don't see any of the latter here and VERY rarely have even seen the latter anywhere on Basschat! We are all equally terrible people! :drinks:

16 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

40362292364_a444eb75e2_o.jpg

40362292864_fcb6063bdd_o.jpg

Just my own experience of course, but generally those I've met with KIT ONE were inevitably much better drummers than the ones I met with KIT TWO. Not that I've ever met anyone with ALL of KIT TWO, but you know what I mean... :)

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

If blokes have to stop taking the piss out of each other I fear there would be a lot of awkward silences between us!

Yes! It would go along the lines of, 'You all right?'
'Can't complain. You?'
'Yeah'.
Both stare at floor.

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

A '50s drumkit...

40362292364_a444eb75e2_o.jpg

A more modern kit, with extended range...

40362292864_fcb6063bdd_o.jpg

Daft..? Not with Terry Bozzio behind 'em it ain't..! xD

Be careful posting stuff like this in case someone knows  a drummer with a kit like that, and gets offended on behalf of someone else

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Be careful posting stuff like this in case someone knows  a drummer with a kit like that, and gets offended on behalf of someone else

Someone here knows Terry Bozzio..? Can they wangle me a stage pass, please..? Pretty please..? 9_9

I think light-hearted pokes are fine; it's sort of to be expected with something extraordinary - but FB threads re usually full of idiots who start off with the ERB Bingo: 'Jaco only needed 4' and work swiftly up to 'you loser, giving musicians a bad name, get a job!' and if there are Americans involved soon devolves into political arguing and obscenities.

@binky_bass - those planks are amazing, the woods!! I think I would probably melt my noggin trying the largest ones - but I def. want a noodle on a 7-string at some point, just to see what chordal nonsense I can conjure.