Why become a member? ×

Do you need something to iron your clothes on ?

fleabag

9 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I think light-hearted pokes are fine; it's sort of to be expected with something extraordinary - but FB threads re usually full of idiots who start off with the ERB Bingo: 'Jaco only needed 4' and work swiftly up to 'you loser, giving musicians a bad name, get a job!' and if there are Americans involved soon devolves into political arguing and obscenities.

@binky_bass - those planks are amazing, the woods!! I think I would probably melt my noggin trying the largest ones - but I def. want a noodle on a 7-string at some point, just to see what chordal nonsense I can conjure.

I have four 7 strings at the mo, if you're local you're welcome to come have a mooch on them sir! 

4 hours ago, ambient said:

It's a bass that they've extended the range of.

I used to play a 7 string and loved it. The chord voicing possible were brilliant, as was too were the higher notes for melodic playing, I could get some fantastic sounds high up on the F string with an ebow.

It's all about what you do. Something like this or indeed even just a 6 string isn't necessary and would possibly look daft if all you do is play alright now or Valerie down the local pub.

Don't get wrong i'm not criticising the intinstrument or the player.

it just seems daft and somewhat misleading  to call the instrument a 'bass' when playing basslines seems to be a very small part of what people actually use them for.

• Like 1

You could say the same for certain players and their use of a 4 string bass! It is a bass, it operates on the same principles in every fashion, just with a few more strings. Same build techniques, scales, spacings, pre-amps, strings (with a few more either side), tunings etc. ERBs have far more in common with a standard bass than they do any other instrument as they are basses!

It's like saying an 64 key keyboard isn't the same instrument as an 88 key keyboard... they are both keyboards, one just has more range. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I have four 7 strings at the mo, if you're local you're welcome to come have a mooch on them sir! 

Well - given that I can't get any profile page to load, I am guessing at your location ;) 

*Checks own post to see if location appears*

1 minute ago, binky_bass said:

I can't seem to load profile pages either... site bug? I'm in Essex sir. 

Doh - I'm in the forgotten wastelands of NW West Yorkshire.

I did have a go on a 6-string once and found it great fun. I can only imagine the possibilities of an 8+ .

I would really love a Chapman stick, or at a push a Warr Guitar. Mmmm noodly. You could buy half a dozen of the crazier EHX pedals and make all sorts of experimental noises (you know, 00s era King Crimson with their double-trios.)

3 hours ago, oldslapper said:

I read the OP as a humerous comment on the width of the instruments neck, not as a personal attack on the person playing it.  The gentleman himself wasn't mentioned.

But I guess we can see what we want in any given situation.  

Personally I'd prefer a Chapman Stick for ERB but each to his own.

Would you settle for a slightly used Chapmanchor?

Chapmanchor.png.e3b47bc35437abc7b63fdd2d8b1bc94c.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ambient said:

Why?

Why should fun be made of someone on-line because of his instrument of choice?

Sorry but I don't see it.

Fun can be made out of anything, as long as it’s funny. And that’s subjective.

Some people know how to make a joke about cancer. And it can be funny. 

1 hour ago, PawelG said:

Fun can be made out of anything, as long as it’s funny. And that’s subjective.

Some people know how to make a joke about cancer. And it can be funny. 

The only people I know who make jokes about cancer are people who have, or have had, some form of cancer. I am in the latter category but can't bloody well think of one right now!

@PawelG Can sir tell us one of these jokes? (Awful I know). 

My best friend was diagnosed with Mioclonic (I think) Lukemia 8 or so years ago, he was only 20 at the time. Knocked us all back, but we still had a laugh at it because it makes him and us feel like it's all just part of our regular bants. We called him Skywalker for a good long while... 

Some wouldn't deal with it that way, we did. Made us all more comfortable and help raise morale in our dark way. 

He's been in remission for the last 4 years, a few hiccups here and there but he's doing good. 

It's a dangerous topic, so to affirm there is no genuine offense meant by any dark/possible inappropriate humour that comes forth from my mouth. I am but a simple man who finds humour in many things for good or for ill. 

• Like 1

Looks like Chris Cardone to me, with an 8 string triplet Prat bass. I think... Gasping for a 10 string triplet version, buckeye top of course. 

As I recall Kalium made the strings for this beast... riddled with jealousy! Things like this should be mine...

No denying the man has a powerful Tasche...

Edited by binky_bass