Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1503662132' post='3360071']

Cambridge High School for Boys or the Perse? Which Bonzos? I thought Bubs went to Netherhall. (well he was big enough to count as most of the BDDDB) :lol:
[/quote]

Perse, I was there '69 - '79. Could well be wrong about the BDDDB - it was one of the school "urban myths", likewise that Syd Barrett lived on Long road (which the school backs onto) and that Arnold Layne also lived close by.
My brother went to Netherhall - the Netherhall lot would take the mick mercilessly out of us Perse boys because of our particularly ridiculous uniform..... :(

back in 1990, I was shopping with my brother (guitarist in my band) for a Pink Jackson. Guitar purchased, much chat and he has a go on a bass that I'd just bought elsewhere. He was left handed but just flipped it over and started slapping. Turned out to be Lee Pomeroy!! Lovely chap, working in Rockbotton at the time

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1503755852' post='3360748']
I once sat in Vangelis studio while He was recording the music for Blade runner , He had just had a new "Fairlight " keyboard & I got a disapproving look for playing the theme to "Rhubarb & Custard" on it :)
[/quote]

:D

Reminds me of the time when we were setting up for a recording at Sony Studios in London, and George Michael came into the recording room as part of a pre-arranged tour. He nodded a greeting through the glass, and our trumpet player belts out the sax line from Careless Whisper. He didn't react :D

Edited by Roland Rock

Ok I have two stories:

-I once switched basses with Jamiroquai's Paul Turner for a brief moment: he was doing a promo gig for Stenback Basses at Paul's Bass Matters in Nijmegen and I knew he has a white '66 Jazz (and so do I), so I brought it along. I was having a chat with Paul and the subject of that '66 Jazz came up. So he asked: "Did you bring yours?" I said "yes, did you bring yours?", which he had. So we played each other's bass and talked about the typical characteristics of that year. Later I found out his bass and mine are from the same month. It's the only story I have proof of.

To the left is my bass, right is Paul's:

-Marcus Miller played my Blade bass. He gave a masterclass at the conservatory where I was studying at the time. Paul Sips of Bass Matters (this is pure coincidence) came running up to me, asking "do you have your bass with you and is it a Jazz Bass?" Marcus' bass didn't make it through customs in time so he had to borrow one. I gave mine and eventually he didn't use it on stage because someone else had a Fender and he didn't know Blade so chose the Fender. I walked up to him afterwards asking about it, and if he still wanted to play it. He gave an interview to a Dutch bass magazine after the masterclass and used my bass to play all examples. And he signed it. And then I put epoxy over it very badly. But the signature is still there.

I sold my old camper van to a guy who was the keyboard player from some 90s dance act (D ream or something, can't even remember). Never having been a fan of dance music I had to sort of nod and say 'yeah of course I remember you' which I didn't. He was telling me how he had learnt to play loads of stuff and was trying to work out if the back seat was wide enough to practice the bass in. I had my old one from when I (very) briefly messed about in my late teens so he tried it out and bought the van. Would be better if I could remember who it was, I know they had had a few number ones.

I was very nearly the bass player in a band with John Bonham's daughter.

Our original singer had quit the band and since we were feeling ambitious and flush with money we put display ads in the classified sections of NME and Melody Maker (mid to late 90s). It certainly brought the nutters out. However in amongst all the demos from complete no-hopers were a couple of really good ones, one of which was from a Zoe Bonham. Unfortunately as much as we liked her songs and recording, she wasn't sufficiently impressed by what we were doing to want to join the band. I ended up giving her some advice on her home studio and that was it.

Edited by BigRedX

In chronological order:

1. I was at school with Craig Logan of Bros (or as Viz styled him, Ken). A genuinely lovely bloke, and clearly much brighter than the twins.
2. Bought my last Wal from Dean Garcia of Curve, five or six years ago now I think. Again, a really nice guy.
3. Loaned my custom Warwick to a mate who is the lead guitarist in a well known black metal band (well, well known if you know black metal bands) to play on their new album because the bass player was not good enough to be allowed to record (and is now their ex bass player). I was due to get a "thanks for the bass" credit but the band don't want to let the cat out of the bag that the bass player isn't actually on the album, and he is contractually obliged to only play ESPs both live and on all recordings and thanking me for the lend of a bass might give the game away, So I'm just listed in my mate's general "thanks" list. It's now starting to grate a bit with him that the album is getting good reviews and credit is being given to the non-bass player for all of my mate's good work, so when he handed over a nice promo vinyl copy to me at the weekend he scrawled out all of the bass players credits and wrote a "thanks for lending me the Warwick that I played on this album" note

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1503991922' post='3361923']
I sold my old camper van to a guy who was the keyboard player from some 90s dance act (D ream or something, can't even remember). Never having been a fan of dance music I had to sort of nod and say 'yeah of course I remember you' which I didn't. He was telling me how he had learnt to play loads of stuff and was trying to work out if the back seat was wide enough to practice the bass in. I had my old one from when I (very) briefly messed about in my late teens so he tried it out and bought the van. Would be better if I could remember who it was, I know they had had a few number ones.
[/quote]

Professor Brian Cox was the keys player in D-Ream wasn't he?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1504108699' post='3362745']

Professor Brian Cox was the keys player in D-Ream wasn't he?
[/quote]
I would have remembered him so couldn't have been them, it was one of those awkward 'don't you know who I am?' type moments, I was trying to sell the van so didn't want to reply nope, not a clue and the name was familiar.

Posted from another thread from the mists of time...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So Norman Watt-Roy gives his guitar to Andy Baxter to sell, who lists it on eBay[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the link gets posted on Basschat (thanks to BC user thebrig!)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I show the link to my bassist pal Matt[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matt shows the link to his dad and bass tutor Laurence Canty[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Laurence shows the link to his ex-student Colin[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Colin [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]contacts Andy and puts a deposit down, and subsequently buys the bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And that's the story of how Colin [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Greenwood out of Radiohead [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]bought Norman Watt-Roy's 1962 Shoreline Gold Fender Jazz bass. [/font][/color]