Why become a member? ×

How far would you put yersel out for your old lady, old man, errm lifetime companion etc?

Barking Spiders

I've just bought tickets for two for Friday at Download as my missus loves System of A Down and Five Finger Death Punch. While she' s enjoying them I might be sticking kebab skewers in my eardrums. I owe it to her as when we went to Sonisphere a couple of years ago cos she wanted to see Metallica, I lost the will to live by sunday morning and grovelled to her, pleading for us to leave. So, how far have you put yourself out for someone else?.

As above, only it was Van der Graaf generator a few years ago at the Barbican. I even fell asleep at one point during some endless noodling but I think I got away with it.
Fortunately Mrs.C and I share most things musical, but she sometimes goes to the Ballet or the Opera, both of which I politely decline. She goes with a friend. She does get quite misty eyed over Van Morrison but I 'm not that keen, and she gets a bit sarky about Seve Hilllage ("That hippy sh*t") but I quite like to listen to him now and then.

I went to Arc Tangent which is a mathrock noiserock / doomcore festival ... With my other half , I like my metal but this is toooooo extreme for my tastes ... Turns out some of the earlier acts were very good ... Go for the musicianship and the beer .

Just remind your SO next time they are moaning about spending too much time standing around at *insert bass shop of choice*.

I went to a recording session of Surprise Surprise with my girlie because Olly Murs was on. Holly Willowbooby was up the duff so some stuff that was recorded for another program was from the waist up only as she would have dropped by the screening. A very uncomfortable afternoon in tiny seats, but as my better half goes to most of my gigs I couldn't refuse really!!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1485268578' post='3222636']
. I draw the line at Westlife and Hard House though.

[/quote] My wife wanted to go to a Westlife gig at the NEC. I bought 2 tickets and told her too take her mate. There was no chance I would go to that. I went to Lionel Richie though. I didn`t think I would enjoy it, but he was immense. Great bit of banter, and you could tell he is a seasoned professional

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1485265244' post='3222591']
I have to go to horsey things like show jumping. I don't hate it but I would rather be covered in chocolate and thrown to the lesbians if I had a choice ;-) I will be at download suffering so you guys don't have to.
[/quote]

I don't think the option is a punishment. Sounds like a great plan to me. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1485271793' post='3222659']
My wife wanted to go to a Westlife gig at the NEC. I bought 2 tickets and told her too take her mate. There was no chance I would go to that. I went to Lionel Richie though. I didn`t think I would enjoy it, but he was immense. Great bit of banter, and you could tell he is a seasoned professional
[/quote] I would happily go to see Lionel Ritchie. Amazing talent and he was part of the amazing Commodore,s. Enough said.😊

A very good friend of mine accompanied her husband to a Dragonforce gig many years ago. She was (still is, I presume) more a jazz fan than prog-metal, or whatever you call their style. She remarked upon the "interesting" attire of many of the audience, but was quietly diplomatic about the music, as I recall...

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1485271793' post='3222659']
My wife wanted to go to a Westlife gig at the NEC. I bought 2 tickets and told her too take her mate. There was no chance I would go to that. I went to Lionel Richie though. I didn`t think I would enjoy it, but he was immense. Great bit of banter, and you could tell he is a seasoned professional
[/quote]

+1. The perfect solution. She and a pal have a treat on you, you earn brownie points and you don't have to stuff cotton wool in your ears/wish you were dead. Genius. Oh and don't expect her to come to your gigs unless she wants to. That's only fair.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1485265595' post='3222596']
She got married to me. Anything I can do is small change compared to that.
[/quote]

^^^^This! Marriage is made of compromises, it's the ticket to happiness ;)

If it's well played and the FOH has mixed well i can get myself to enjoy practicly anything even if it's just the bass lines or a good drummer and i filter out the rest of the noise. Having said that i would love to see SOAD, great band with excelent songs. Not that stereotype of metal noise with amps past 11, it's very musical and melodic. I would advise the OP to put up with it and try to apreciate a good band IMO.

While there are plenty of bands that both me and my other half would love to go and see together there are also lots that only one of us have any time for.

In those situations we're quite happy to go and do our own thing separately. She'll probably go with some of her friends, and I'll go on my own as I've learnt through experience that unless I go with people who are likely to enjoy the gig as much as I hope to, the evening will invariably end in disappointment for somebody.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1485266183' post='3222605']
I went to Arc Tangent which is a mathrock noiserock / doomcore festival ... With my other half , I like my metal but this is toooooo extreme for my tastes ... Turns out some of the earlier acts were very good ... Go for the musicianship and the beer .

Just remind your SO next time they are moaning about spending too much time standing around at *insert bass shop of choice*.
[/quote]

I'd love to go to Arc Tangent, looks like a brilliant little festival.

the wife rarely comes to gigs with me, she'd be welcome to come but unless we get a babysitter someone has to stay home and most things I go to (in fairness not much these days) aren't to her taste. We have been to see The Lounge Kittens together recently, which was brilliant.

To the OP, sitting through Five Finger Death Punch? That's love right there

I was persuaded to go to Dracula the ballet with Mrs2611, I have to admit I fell asleep during the first act, got elbowed in the ribs, woke up and actually quite enjoyed the remainder of the performance....it's funny how she only remembers me falling asleep...none of the nice meal we had before hand or how enthusiastic I was about the rest of the performance :lol:

Back in the seventies I took my (first) wife..... She was probably just my girlfriend at the time ....I don't know it was ages ago :blink: to see

Sacha Distel....apparently he was "good looking" :rolleyes:

I didn't know that he was a great guitarist and I actually had a good night!