Why become a member? ×

How far would you put yersel out for your old lady, old man, errm lifetime companion etc?

Barking Spiders

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1485290044' post='3222876']
I do find this rather a strange topic. If my wife wants to go and see something I don't want to see, she happily goes on her own. She doesn't need accompaniment or chaperoning as she is quite capable of getting around by herself.
[/quote]

This. And I don't expect her to come to stuff she doesn't like.

Edited by Dan Dare

Somebody here was commenting that this is a strange topic saying if you and you mrs wanna do summat the other doesnt then do it on your own. Not always possible . I don't want mrs Spiders to have to go to Download on her own. If I let her go on her tod it would hardly be very gallant of me! I'm always willing to give most things a go at least once, which is why I took her to Sonisphere in 2015. I've heard a lot of SOAD and they're not my bag one iota but such is my love for her I will put myself through the impending pain! Anyway, I made her come and see Underworld (the band) with me which she did'nt enjoy at all so I kinda owe her.

My wife and I have our own hobbies but will support each other all the time. I will go to her horse events and she to my country pursuits. Unless I am going with a bunch of mates, she will come to watch an Arne type movie with me and likewise me to a chick flick. We have busy lives but always have at least one "date'" night a week to do something together. It may not work for all but we celebrate 23 years of marriage on Sunday so it certainly works for us.

I watched a Green Day concert on YouTube with the Mrs once. That was enough for me. If we go out she always puts them on when we get home or puts them on if we have a beer at home and so I go to bed. No point staying up as she won't let me put anything else on! I was sure it was her cunning plan to get me out of her hair. Alas, after 10 years, in the morning, I still get grief for going to bed and leaving her! Perhaps it's an even more cunning plan of Mrs itsmedunc?

Edited by itsmedunc

I went to see Steps with an ex.

I kind of look on anything like that as just being a good day out - better than sitting at home.

For the OP, Download can be fun if you go with it. Plenty of stages, so lots of variety. The mud last year was biblical though!I
If you really don't fancy it why not see if your Mrs has a metal interested friend to go with, I know loads of girls who go, and it's a friendly crowd. If you think you might have a tendency to be one of those who end up huddled on a fold up chair under a tarp - then probably more fun for all if you bale.
That might sound a bit off, don't mean to be! \m/ 😀

I can relate to this, my gf is quite a bit younger than me, I get dragged to all kinds of crap i absolutely hate. The single worst thing was Glastonbury last year, I went to raves and festivals all through my 20s and 30s, i'm 100% done with getting my car stuck in a swamp, portaloo rivers of sh!t and people on pills missioning it around a medieval mudbath covered in litter.

I go to wine bars that play chart music, house parties where people play drinking games, clubs, I have to put up with her being skint all the time, it sounds fun but trust me it's hard work, especially for a grumpy bastard like me.

But I always go regardless, I see it as the price you pay for maintaining a decent relationship, and to be fair she also makes the effort and comes out when i see my friends or play bass somewhere. It's been 6 whole years of hard work but i probably wouldn't have it any other way.

The wife and I don't have to compromise too much on these things... Ok she took me to London bass guitar show for a birthday a few years back, I didn't stay too long so she wasn't hideously bored and she got a kiss from Mark King... Being left handed there was only a couple of basses there to play so it worked out ok. I guess it's at home when she moved in to my bachelor pad we had to compromise. Having a trace amp rig where most would have a tv and a row of guitars where most would have seats, patent drawings of basses instead of family pictures... That all had to be 'compromised out'

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1485385320' post='3223674']
For the OP, Download can be fun if you go with it. Plenty of stages, so lots of variety. The mud last year was biblical though!I
If you really don't fancy it why not see if your Mrs has a metal interested friend to go with, I know loads of girls who go, and it's a friendly crowd. If you think you might have a tendency to be one of those who end up huddled on a fold up chair under a tarp - then probably more fun for all if you bale.
That might sound a bit off, don't mean to be! \m/ 😀
[/quote]

I went for the first time last year. I am too old. To the OP, be careful where you camp. There is a very active airport runway inches from your face if you're camped in the wrong bit. The line up looks great (to me) this year and in the side tents you might find something a bit different. It's a nice crowd too, people are friendly if you're lost or whatever. Just hope you have good weather and security don't physically force you out from under the only bit of shelter in to the rain for no reason.

As we don't live together, the O/H and I do a lot of things on our own as much as doing things together, That said she did buy me tickets (and came with me!) to see Iron Maiden on the Final Frontier tour. She enjoyed Airbourne but really didn't get Maiden.

However, that really doesn't begin to compensate for me watching The Levellers several times with her but I did get to discuss Thunderbirds with Jeremy Cunningham over pints of Trooper after one gig so not all terrible.

Me and Mrs B have a perfect way of doing things. She doesn't make, or expect, me do things I don't want to do and vice versa.

I'd never expect her to come to a Sunn O))) or Merzbow gig and she'd never expect me to go and see Bruce Springsteen.

Last year her and a friend went to Australia, for 2 weeks, to go to the Philip Island round of the MotoGP championship while I stayed at home with the daughters and dog. They've previously been to Germany, Czech Republic, Turkey and somewhere else, as well as several UK events.

I get to drive around Europe with friends to see gigs.

Everyone is happy.

If you haven't seen Springsteen then you should, at least once. Took Mrs. B to solo show in '96 and she's never looked back. She drew the line at a repeat Wishbone Ash gig, though!

We are going to a 'family' get-together at a tired-looking hotel stuck between the M1 and the A38 near Derby next weekend; a hotel that took our money almost a year ago! Company will be great but imagine how good the accommodation's going to be.
I could rustle some urgent 'work' for that weekend but I won't.

Edited by skb558