Why become a member? ×

Worst ever setlist

TheGreek

We do Sex On Fire and Place Your Hands On - both songs which I utterly detest. But... the crowd love 'em.

We're typically fully booked by early September for the whole of the following year. We play pubs and clubs and the venues are usually packed, so we're doing something right.

I think we all just have to suck it up. If you're in a covers band, then it's all about getting punters in the door, buying drinks, keeping the venues going. We do that, and that's why we get repeat bookings. We're always adding material to the "bank", but we know our audience(s) and we know what will work. We don't have to like it - we just have to be good at playing it.

Always thought songs like Fire by Kasabian would be odd songs to put in a set. Great song to listen to in the car and sing along to but must be hard to dance to; 30 seconds of leaping about with your hands in the air followed by a minute or so shuffling about waiting or the next chorus...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agVpq_XXRmU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agVpq_XXRmU[/url]

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1484588826' post='3216576']
Sex On Fire
[/quote]
This. It's so thoroughly offensive because it's not quite aggressively bad, it's just a horrible ugly slab of nothing.

I could list songs of this ilk all day, ie that are inexplicably popular and make me wonder if most people even know what music is.

I try not to judge - it's a matter of taste - but there's so much exciting music in the world!

Edited by Rexel Matador

If i hated a crowd, my set list would be:
1. Metal Machine Music, Parts 1 and 2.
2. 4'33"
3. Metal Machine Music, Part 3.
4. Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree.
5. Uruguayan national anthem, played at 1/2 speed.
6. Metal Machine Music, Part 4, twice.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1484588826' post='3216576']
Sex On Fire
[/quote]

The guitarist wanted to add this as one of the audience was calling for it. Anyway it was decided we were doing it, which I thought was a bad choice (as it seems to rushing towards generic cover band), but it requires absolutely no effort and turned out the crowd absolutely loved it, so what can you do.

Nah, it's about what would be bad on the setlist, whatever the reason.

Most Stereophonics songs is my worst thing to have on a set list. I like Stereophonics to listen to, but not to play.

BTW, I like Agadoo. introduced the niece to it at Xmas & she loves it. :D

Nickleback, how you remind me.
Played when it "first" came out. I seem to remember it being all over MTV2 which was a rock channel then, for months before it was released. When it was released it was everywhere!!! We played it in a gig, was going down like a poo sandwich, and the drummer and I nodded to each other and killed it before the second chorus. Guitarist wasn't happy but we did him a favour.
Playing charity things and festivals you do get some of your not typical audience. I would probably play some Motley Crue to wind them up, but our usual audience would love some of their more recognisable songs

Edited by uk_lefty

I'm another who thinks that if the audience enjoy it then it's a good song but my heart sinks if the band want to do Seven Nation Army especially as they think they are doing you a favour with such a 'great bass line'. Never had the heart to tell them.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1484639590' post='3216980']
Nickleback, how you remind me.
Played when it "first" came out. I seem to remember it being all over MTV2 which was a rock channel then, for months before it was released. When it was released it was everywhere!!! We played it in a gig, was going down like a poo sandwich, and the drummer and I nodded to each other and killed it before the second chorus. Guitarist wasn't happy but we did him a favour.
Playing charity things and festivals you do get some of your not typical audience. I would probably play some Motley Crue to wind them up, but our usual audience would love some of their more recognisable songs
[/quote]
Anything by Nickleback seems to be good to listen to, but almost sure to clear a dance floor.

Now, take "Day trip to Bangor" now there's a good tune!

A band project I was in that did loads of good eighties music like talking heads and other stuff auditioned a drummer. He came to rehearsal, was a bit of a d!ck but an ok drummer, we thought he "got it". Then he sent through an entire set list of utter drivel. Let me entertain you, crazy horses, sex on fire. Thirty of the most hideous and could-not-be-further-from-the-point songs imaginable. He didn't get the gig.