Why become a member? ×

If you were going to buy a P bass, what model would you get?

fretmeister

An early '80's Tokai Hardpuncher with Lindy Fralin pickups and badass bridge. The lightest, most resonant, perfect sounding P bass I've ever heard. Unfortunately it was Fender shaped (so I wont play it, out of principal) and a 4 string (I play 5).

If we're buying new I just don't see anything beating an American Standard Fender - they're just the classic that everything else is compared to, they do exactly what you'd expect & have great build quality.

Obviously if we're going unlimited funding & ease of finding I'd have a pristine vintage one but in reality that'd be quite difficult.

There is a lot of choice out there.
I do like my P's with maple necks, depending on budget it would be one of the roadworns or spanking new American standard.
I do like a vintage P as well for feel and vibe, so lots of choice, but mine would have to say Fender on the headstock :)

If I was still playing 4's I'd be looking for a good used 2010 or later Fender Am Std with some budget left over for upgrades, if they were needed.

IMO Fender make it more difficult for 5 string players to go for their P basses. The Roscoe Beck was a great bass but obviously didn't sell enough. I think they should have stuck with it but who knows why Fender make the decisions they do!

There are some fabulous 5 string P basses out there, unfortunately and sadly, because I've been a Fender fan for the last 50 years, non of them are being made by Fender.

If money wasn't a issue then a Shuker JJ Burnel Carbonlite...

For around Fender American price range I'd be looking towards Shuker again...

If I had the money I'd be on the phone to Jon ordering an unlined fretless PJ right now...

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1475576508' post='3146988']
If money wasn't a issue then a Shuker JJ Burnel Carbonlite...

For around Fender American price range I'd be looking towards Shuker again...

If I had the money I'd be on the phone to Jon ordering an unlined fretless PJ right now...
[/quote]

So let me get this straight, in case I've not understood.. You're shopping for a ... you know.. a Shuker!? :)

I would try out a JV Squier. I am sure they are not all brilliant - I gather that from the forum here, but some are magnificent.

I have 2, both 57 RI models, and they are both extremely nice but not exactly the same. One of them is the nicest Precison I have laid my hands on, which is why I keep it. It is black with a maple neck that has a weird, almost holographic flame figuring in the wood. It came with a white pickguard but now sports a black one, a Schaller 3D bridge and Gotoh resolite tuners. Stock pickup and wiring does the whole range from old school thump through to major aggressive bark, all with that wonderful organic Precision tone. Weighs in at a smidge over 8lbs.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1475582553' post='3147054']
Young Mr Dood recently sold me a Fender Japan 62RI Precision that I am rather enjoying.
[/quote]

I'm a huge fan of Fender Japan basses! I'm trying not to think about selling that one :) it's quite a peach! I still have a pair of 80's PJ's that will keep me busy though!

Japanese Fender. I have a Japanese Fender 1970 reissue (Sid vicious white with black pickguard) alder bodied, rosewood board. Mine has a Steve Harris Sig pickup and its the perfect live bass for me. I am toying with the idea of adding a big mm pickup at the bridge but that would just be showing off.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1475521922' post='3146641']

Agreed Pete, but that's not the deal, the deal is that they are so f*****g good and SO cheap. These two beauties together cost me less than a used MIM Precision with enough change to buy a fair few sets of strings, and bot blow the socks off most MIAs

This baby had without doubt the definite flatwound/pick tone I've ever come across

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5526_zpsiliorfb5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_5526_zpsiliorfb5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

And this was likewise simply the best rock roundwound sound

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_2710_zps069130c7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/IMG_2710_zps069130c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]That. Second Yamue looks so like a Westone/Matsumoko

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475520638' post='3146623']
Nothing made by Yamaha has broken ever, that is an actual fact :)
[/quote]
tell that to my mate with the FZR1000EXUP that drank pints of oil before finally disintergrating

I'm finally down to 4 basses :drinks:

All 4 are Mexican. Only one is a proper Precision (a Sunburst Mike Dirnt, and I'm not keen on Sunburst :rolleyes: ).

My green, passive P/J has been with me 4 years, it is simply a superb, rare (only 6 green and 6 black made it to the UK, of 300 green and 200 black made), great playing, great sounding bass.
AND I WAS RECENTLY LUCKY ENOUGH to get one of the 6 black ones and it's even better than the green one :D :D :D
I guess the inevitable points are some Mex stuff is superb and we all like different stuff.
Excellent backline helps as does a great bass set up.

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0469_zps90a75130.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer