Why become a member? ×

compression. help or hindrance?

bassjim

Thinking about turning the compression off altogether this weekend.

Its one of those features I just started using a long time ago via a pedal but for the past 5-6 years, as its built into the amp I use, its there so it gets a turn.

I've always backed it off the louder it gets as it kills the dynamics but this weekend I'm thinking about turning it off all together.

I wonder if within the first two songs its back on? I shall find out starting this evening.......

Am interested in any views for and against on this very subject..

Oh gawd not this again.

It has to be said that compression is certainly THE most misunderstood and maligned tools available to bass players. And I guarantee that it has contributed to precisely 100% of the fabled tones that many of us while away the hours in search of, fruitlessly fiddling with EQ knobs.

Compressors have absolutely feck all to do with compensating for poor technique. That seems to be the biggest misnomer surrounding their use - and it's a fallacy that needs to be taken out back, humanely culled and never spoken of again. Because compression is every bass players best friend.

Seriously guys, just do a teensy amount of homework on the topic - learn how to set a compressor properly - and a world of fabulous bass tones will be your oyster (whatever the heck that means. It's less fishy than it sounds).

I often use compression on electric guitar when playing live, to embiggen(TM) the sound. I also used a bit of Spectracomp live on bass when I had a TC head with it built in, but I love the simplicity of the bass-lead-amp setup and I just can't bring myself to faff around with pedals.

My compressor (Aphex 1404) optical compressor is always on. I use it as a buffer for my pedalboard, clean DI out and finally a compressor set to 'tickle my peaks' by giving me 3 - 4dB gain reduction on my peaks. Lovely stuff.

FWIW flatwound strings are what you want if you're looking to hide bad technique ;)

In all my years I've never used it.
Engineers may have foh or in studio, but me no, I go in dry ;) hahaha

It's something that I've always suspected I should use or more so, learn to use as I understand it's place.... But I've just never gone there, mostly through fear of its voodoo.
The new tc spectracomp pedal is the only one that has caught my attention due to it simplicity of use, it's one knob for this one nob :)

Edited by Wonky2

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekWJKSLez54"]Here's a nice little video review[/url] that summarises the basics of how the majority of typical pedalboard compressors work.

Rack-based (and software) compressors are more sophisticated and versatile, but really no more complicated to use once you get the hang of it.

[i]I would trust the guy in the video though... he looks well dodgy to me[/i] :D

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1469819836' post='3101353']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekWJKSLez54"]Here's a nice little video review[/url] that summarises the basics of how the majority of typical pedalboard compressors work.

Rack-based (and software) compressors are more sophisticated and versatile, but really no more complicated to use once you get the hang of it.

[i]I would trust the guy in the video though... he looks well dodgy to me[/i] :D
[/quote]

Jesus christ. He has a music stand and is sitting down.

Hmm, I'm surprised with the responses so far. I pretty much always use a small amount of compression. I find that it helps keep everything stable and the volume even when using effects. Particularly with wah and distortion.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469801504' post='3101176']
I never use it live, just for recording.
[/quote]

Same here. Let the engineer/producer do what they need to but live I have my own way of compression - hit everything as hard all the time, that way there`s never a spike or dip in the volume :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469824487' post='3101391']
I forget all about the technicalities of compression and just plug in my Diamond BCP-1. It sounds bloody great. That is all.
[/quote]

My approach to compression too. When I have mine on it sounds 'nicer'. So I have it on.

ANY concert you visit, ANY album or TV show you listen to has compression applied to the bass so go figure.
It is the part of your tone that makes it manageable for sound systems. The low end is woeful for many a speaker without it.

The question isn't "compression or not" but "do you manage your compression or does the foh guy do it".

I like to be in control of my tone so yes I use a compressor and it is always on,
just like the 10band EQ that cuts off everything underneath 60hz (but boosts at 80hz and cuts around 2k-4k a little).
These two effects sit nicely in my amp's effect loop while danglin at the back of my stack like the secret weapons they are.

Edited by DiMarco