Why become a member? ×

compression. help or hindrance?

bassjim

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1469810671' post='3101284']
Oh gawd not this again.

It has to be said that compression is certainly THE most misunderstood and maligned tools available to bass players. And I guarantee that it has contributed to precisely 100% of the fabled tones that many of us while away the hours in search of, fruitlessly fiddling with EQ knobs.

Compressors have absolutely feck all to do with compensating for poor technique. That seems to be the biggest misnomer surrounding their use - and it's a fallacy that needs to be taken out back, humanely culled and never spoken of again. Because compression is every bass players best friend.

Seriously guys, just do a teensy amount of homework on the topic - learn how to set a compressor properly - and a world of fabulous bass tones will be your oyster (whatever the heck that means. It's less fishy than it sounds).
[/quote]

Agreed, I think the problem is a lot of bass players think compression is an effect. It's not.

Blue

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1469810671' post='3101284']
Oh gawd not this again.

Compressors have absolutely feck all to do with compensating for poor technique. That seems to be the biggest misnomer surrounding their use - and it's a fallacy that needs to be taken out back, humanely culled and never spoken of again. Because compression is every bass players best friend.

[/quote]

Correct.

It is funny how a popular opinion or trend gets picked up on here and comes back completely different after a while.
It happens quite a lot here and this is one of those subjects.
Never used it, never needed to.
In studio and out front are places that the engr will likely address, but I don't see any point for backline.

Where do you put it in the signal chain?

Edited by JTUK

For recording or FOH it'll always have a place. But my basses never sounded better once I turned my compressor off. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but use your ears and make your own mind up.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1469807965' post='3101254']
I always thought compression was a cover up for poor technique. Honestly.

I can see why in the studio it is used so much but tbh I thought that was down to making it easier to get a better mix?
[/quote]

That's is the bulk of its purpose for studio use. Your first point however, is too often just what people who don't like compression, know how to use it, or what it is capable of like to tell themselves.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469865778' post='3101539'].

[/quote]

For me, I don't use any envelope filters, fuzz or overdrive; so it is 2nd in the chain after the tuner and before my only other pedal - an OC2.

You and i are moving in opposite directions. I've not used compression for ages (years) although had a nice EBS Multicomp in my gig bag for ages. Anyway, i dug it out and have started to use it again (in send and return) and found it helps focus the sound in some venues. Also had more nice comments about the bass sound from punters which makes you think.

Lots of variables in terms of how transparent the compression is and the amount that it is used.

Experiment was the advice i was given and has proved to be good advice.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469852056' post='3101507']
...a lot of bass players think compression is an effect. It's not.
[/quote]

I'd agree with you in 99% of cases, but the Diamond BCP-1 is more of a 'tone-upgrade' than a remedial or hard-limiting compressor, having a maximum comp ratio of around 3/1. It subtly balances the output of your strings very nicely without significant loss of dynamics and without any tone-suck whatsoever but I use it mainly because, whatever shenanigans are in that box, it just makes my bass sound incredible! I have it 'always on'. I don't use any other FX with it.

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...diamobass.shtml[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1469807965' post='3101254']
I always thought compression was a cover up for poor technique. Honestly.

I can see why in the studio it is used so much but tbh I thought that was down to making it easier to get a better mix?
[/quote]

Interesting. My own view is it enhances poor technique. String noise, bum notes, fretting where you shouldn't etc all a helluva lot more audible with a compressor.

Mine stay on all the time, just gives the sound an extra presence and rolls of the super high end. Also useful for my bass as having my pickups in series/coils in series and having my pickups in parallel/coils in series are very different outputs and I use both for various songs in my band, but the compressor sorts that out quite nicely.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1469823337' post='3101381']
Gosh, is it that time of the year already. Hopefully this thread will end better than one of the previous ones.
[/quote]

I blame the turtles.

Edited by ahpook

Anything that improves playing is OK by me. I can see why compression used in the studio because the "idiosyncrasies" of most players technique get annoying very quickly when you have to listen to them over and over.

But for me I want all the dynamics when playing live so no compression for me.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469875517' post='3101652']

Interesting. My own view is it enhances poor technique. String noise, bum notes, fretting where you shouldn't etc all a helluva lot more audible with a compressor.

[/quote]

That really depends on your make up gain setting.

If you use the compressor to allow you to play louder, then yes, EVERYTHING will be louder.

If you use the compressor to reduce peaks then the sting noise etc will be the same.

In the second case you're just going to catch the odd time when you accidentally hit a string with a bit more drive than you planned. So yes, covers certain bad techniques.

Then there's multi-band compression...

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1469808436' post='3101259']
I have a TC BH550 with a Spectracomp and I leave it at 12 o'clock all the time. It adds a little punch without really squashing everything. Saying that, it's pretty much the only compressor I have really liked.

[/quote]

I do the same with my tc classic 450 for much the same reason. Have dabbled with pedals live too but not too bothered about them.

Edited by mep

It`s certainly a good tool for stopping those pillowy booms that can happen if using a warm tone. Luckily for me I use a fair bit of gain, and have a Sansamp in my pedal chain, both of which apparently add "natural comrepssion" whatever that is. Plus, having a pretty trebly tone and hardly ever using either the D or G strings, well live I`m pretty much not needing it. But in the studio when I hear the producer/engineer add it, well I do usually come away from the studio yearning for a compressor, until I then buy one, use it, and realise I prefer the live sound without one.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469865778' post='3101539']
It is funny how a popular opinion or trend gets picked up on here and comes back completely different after a while.
It happens quite a lot here and this is one of those subjects.
Never used it, never needed to.
In studio and out front are places that the engr will likely address, but I don't see any point for backline.

[/quote]

Exactly what I'm pondering just now. Got ale bass preamp with an effects loop and can't decide where it should go.
Originally has it after my octave but moved it to before as this helped the octaver. Then I tried it last in chain just before the amp and it sounded better for general playing (don't really use the octave anyway)... However since getting the le bass I can't decide if it should go in the effects loop of after the preamp... Complicated business this 😜

Edited by gs_triumph