Why become a member? ×

Bass player or band member

bonzodog

I love playing bass. I have constant GAS, enjoy looking at bass related pictures and always listen out for the bass in music.
However all of this is topped off with the enjoyment of being in a working band.
I was thinking the other day that God forbid my band was to end, would I still continue to play bass at home without being in a band? The simple answer is no I probably wouldn't unless I joined another band. To me, all of the enjoyment of playing bass comes from doing it live in a band.
Anyone else only enjoy playing as part of a band?

No, being in a band is the most important bit for me, or rather being in a gigging band is, but I still love playing bass. If I weren`t in a band I`d still learn new songs, play along to my faves on youtube etc.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1464643171' post='3061135']
I love playing bass. I have constant GAS, enjoy looking at bass related pictures and always listen out for the bass in music.
However all of this is topped off with the enjoyment of being in a working band.
I was thinking the other day that God forbid my band was to end, would I still continue to play bass at home without being in a band? The simple answer is no I probably wouldn't unless I joined another band. To me, all of the enjoyment of playing bass comes from doing it live in a band.
Anyone else only enjoy playing as part of a band?
[/quote]

I hear you. I have been in the same working band for the past 5 years. If the band folded,I'd be lost.

The opportunities to get into busy working bands are few and far in between.

I am not a bedroom player.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464643594' post='3061141']
No, being in a band is the most important bit for me, or rather being in a gigging band is, but I still love playing bass. If I weren`t in a band I`d still learn new songs, play along to my faves on youtube etc.
[/quote]

Summed my view up perfectly.

I'd still play - I love playing but playing live is a different thing particularly if it's music you enjoy with people you like. An appreciative audience helps but isn't needed at that point!

It used to be for me, i spent years in touring bands until the last project ended quite nastily.
Didn't really gig/play much for 3/4 years after that. However recently i have found satisfaction just playing for myself at home. I'm not distracted by practising for live shows, i play what i want, which is really great for me. I'm just focusing on expanding my knowledge of the bass.
I do miss playing gigs but have no desire right now to pursue that aspect of my playing.

All about being in a band for me too. I'm going to be contentious here but if I wasn't in a band I would turn my hand to a different instrument, either guitar or piano most likely. I see the bass as a supporting instrument and love it for this very reason. Solo or lead bass just doesn't do it for me.

The bass guitar, even just the guitar, or drums.. well, any instrument consumes me! That's not even a poetic exaggeration either. There have been times in my life for one reason or another that I've not been in a band and for quite long periods; I don't think a day has gone by when I haven't done at least something music related. It really is who I am and what I do. I sit and study, research and love everything about the instrument. Play, Jam, create, focus on, whatever you want to call it.

Being able to connect with other musicians and share our passion is what drives me and when I am not allowed to do that, I have discovered I end up in a dark place. So whether I am playing in a band, doing session or dep work, teaching or working for the biggest digital magazine in the world I'm a happy chappy. I feel very lucky to be able to do this for a living and I fear for the day I won't be able to do any. I don't need to be gigging all the time, but I won't stop playing without yet I'll be excited with the prospect of playing again!

No such thing as 'not being in a band' for me ... at worst, I'm just between bands.

In which case it makes perfect sense to use the extra time available to improve as a bass player. If that means playing in my bedroom then so be it. It's a lot warmer in there than in the woodshed. :rolleyes:

I love being part of a band but a huge part of being in a band is loving the instrument you play. So you have to practice and enjoy it, otherwise the band bit is less fun and that was always the original reason for me playing in the first place.

I'd all but sold my gear and given up when a band ended in crappy circumstances.My current vocalist got in touch and invited me down to Jam the rest is history, my point being yes bands can give you a real purpose and drive to learn and improve. So for me it's all or nothing I think..

I can't really be in a band at the moment, our kids are very young, and my wife works until 9 most evenings to reduce the burden of childcare costs during the day while I'm at work, but I still play every day, and still take pleasure from it. It's just like any other 'between bands' scenario to me, practicing and developing to increase my value to the next live project, whatever that may be. I still work on technique and repertoire, and have a couple of recording projects on the go, as I have a little network of solo artists who appreciate the value of a dedicated bass player over their own attempts... plus there's always plotting and writing for my fantasy 3 piece funky blues thing. That's been going on in between bands for years... but I might have to wait until the kids are grown and recruit them for it!

I play in a rock band but I love all types of music. I love the gigging but can never find anybody who wants to play funk, latin, fusion, ska etc. etc, so I play along to that stuff at home. I find the rock stuff generally undemanding compared to other genres.

I'm in a band. The fact I play bass is irrelevant TBH. In between bands I find myself playing more 6 string and composing (badly). Outside the band I only play bass if something particularly sparks my interest, or when I'm looking for a bassline for a composition.

I play at home only. Used to be in a band and it was fun, but the crap parts for me didn't outweigh the good parts - the drunks falling all over the stage, getting home late at night and unloading gear by myself (woman, living in a rough area, bit scary), playing the same songs every week (band members never wanted to break out of the 70's pub rock stuff that every band plays).

Then when the time came that I wasn't really physically capable of it any more, I found that I didn't really miss it that much.

Sounds a bit negative haha, but it's a different view at least.