Why become a member? ×

Everything was better in.....

Nicko

Born in the 50s but no genuine memory of them, my earliest datable memory would be summer of 1960.

So, 56 years of memories then.

And the answer is ... now. The best time to be alive is definitely now. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably not paying attention. :yarr:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1463570916' post='3052396']
Born in the 50s but no genuine memory of them, my earliest datable memory would be summer of 1960.

So, 56 years of memories then.

And the answer is ... now. The best time to be alive is definitely now. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably not paying attention. :yarr:
[/quote]

Same for me. I enjoyed the 70s very much as an awful lot happened in my life during that decade but this one has been the best.

Well I was born in 1984. I like basschat as it keeps me feeling young

There's always been loads of great new interesting original music. If you think there's been nothing since the 70s you're either not looking or just very close-minded IMO

I liked the 70's cos I was a little kid and had lots of fun without any worries except whether the telly would go off and I would miss the Banana Splits! Now it's all money worries, relationship problems, work hassles blah blah blah. If I had a time machine, I would definitely go back but I might stop off for ages in the 90's cos that was even better!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1463569861' post='3052378']
70's - Disco. Bloody awful! ;-)

However glam rock, punk and post-punk were fantastic!
[/quote]

I'll take two of those, but punk left me cold (love lots of post-punk) - horses for courses etc.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1463562933' post='3052272']
Actually, the rot set in during the early seventies.
After heaving itself out of the wartime doldrums (with the notable exception of the jazz scene) music hit an immense high from the late 1940s with the start of rock and roll & RnB and then collapsed and died in a sea of corporate manipulation in about 1972-3.
Not that everything since then has been sh*te, but the sh*te to shinola ration certainly skewed horribly from there on in.
With the notable exceptions of funk and disco, everything being sampled and regurgitated these days seems to be from pre 1971 or is a re-re sampling of something older.
The other thing that happened was the disappearance of fire from the bellies of performing musicians in the popular genres. Production values took over from commitment and great songwriting.
Get off my lawn, kid!

:D
[/quote]

+1000!

Born in 1949 and am grateful for being a guitar / bass playing teenager through the 1960s.

Got married in mid 1970 blah, blah....

Fortunately my children and grand children have been able to keep me up to date in my dotage with some good non corporate, basically produced music - probably what we called "underground music" in my day. ;)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1463511833' post='3051999']
"All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist. The Tralfamadorians can look at all the different moments just that way we can look at a stretch of the Rocky Mountains, for instance. They can see how permanent all the moments are, and they can look at any moment that interests them. It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever." - Kurt Vonnegut
[/quote]

Which one is that from? Slaughterhouse, or Titan? Or one of the others? Love Vonnegut, I'm very sad he is no longer here.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463604943' post='3052821']
Which one is that from? Slaughterhouse, or Titan? Or one of the others? Love Vonnegut, I'm very sad he is no longer here.
[/quote]

Slaughterhouse 5 (but I had to check !).

Sadly missed. So it goes.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1463521105' post='3052087']
Since this is the basis of the Brexit campaign, I consider this thread to be too political to contribute to.
[/quote]

Wot - this thread's really about a long-term schism within the Tory party culminating in a power-struggle between a pair of loathsome, (allegedly) pig-molesting public-school toffs? :o

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1463609788' post='3052876']
Wot - this thread's really about a long-term schism within the Tory party culminating in a power-struggle between a pair of loathsome, (allegedly) pig-molesting public-school toffs? :o

Jon.
[/quote]

Can be if you like; this is Basschat after all… ;)

Born 1948.

1998-ish picked up a bass guitar.

2016 still improving slowly and recently learned to play 'What a Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong, (what a wonderful tune), and now a favourite on our playlist.

As my old man used to say "nil illigitemi carborundum".

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1463636002' post='3052922']
Born 1948.

1998-ish picked up a bass guitar.

2016 still improving slowly and recently learned to play 'What a Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong, (what a wonderful tune), and now a favourite on our playlist.

As my old man used to say "nil illigitemi carborundum".
[/quote]

Wow, that is old. No-one has spoken Latin for, what, 1500 years? :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1463609788' post='3052876']
[/quote]

Which adjective does the "(allegedly)" belong to? Loathsome or pig-molesting?

Even the loathsome politicians were "better" in my youth. Remember Cyril Smith and Jeremy Thorpe? These were people you could really feel creepy about.

80's (0-8) - Childhood, all the care and love a family could provide without a single worry or responsability in the world. Got my first guitar.

90's (9-18) - Teenager. Discovered music through grunge and nu-metal. Allways broke and poor. Learned to play guitar. Bought my first bass. joined my first band (nu-metal originals). Met the love of my life.

00's (19-29) - Still broke. Bought my second bass. Joined my first covers band and started to earn some money. Got my degree in engineering. Got a drivers licence. Landed a job near home in engineering. Bought my first car. Bought my first non-budget bass gear (Trace and Stingray) and kept the covers bands. Found Basschat... Still dating future Mrs. GB.

10's (30-35...) - Still working. No debts. Moved in with future Mrs. GB. Bought and sold a bunch of high end bass gear, constant GAS. Finnaly popped the question and married Mrs. GB. Still playing in covers bands, enjoying myself and earning a complement to the paycheck. Just bought a new (used) car. Still have 4 more years to enjoy this decade.

All in all i think that things are getting better everytime. Music in the top charts isn't as good as the old days but who says this? we, a bunch of old grumpy guys! today's kids love it, it's their time so let them enjoy it. But in a general view we're better in terms of information, education, health, technology and culture. Things keep evolving and we need to keep up with it. I don't like Lady Gaga so i change the radio station when she comes on and i don't play any of her songs in my band, i can live with that.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1463653994' post='3053082']
I don't like Lady Gaga so i change the radio station when she comes on and i don't play any of her songs in my band...
[/quote]

That's preposterous... you can't just simply ignore the things you don't like... it's just not how things are done...

Get yourself on facebook and bleat endlessly about it. :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463654623' post='3053087']
That's preposterous... you can't just simply ignore the things you don't like... it's just not how things are done...

Get yourself on facebook and bleat endlessly about it. :mellow:
[/quote]

I can't go on facebook any more... they now have groups with bass gear for sale...