Why become a member? ×

Everything was better in.....

Nicko

The 60s. I was born. Didn't have much interest in any kind of music. Built a lot of things with Lego and Meccano.

The 70s. Discovered pop music, learnt to play the guitar, formed a band and recorded some songs I had written, made an electric guitar in woodwork lessons at school, went to university.

The 80s. Bought my first bass guitar, joined another band and nearly got signed except the record company decided that two lads from Bushey were a better bet, dropped out of university and went on the dole, joined another band and learnt all about synths and MIDI.

The 90s. got a job, bought a house, joined another band, spent most of my money on synths and recording equipment.

The 00s. Joined another band, discovered bass forums and eBay. Bought a lot of guitars and basses.

The 10s. Joined my current band, did more gigs in this decade than all the previous ones put together, went self-employed and feel a lot better now I can pick and chose my hours and type of work, sold a lot of my guitars and recording equipment, am currently having more fun than any time since the mid 80s.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463503065' post='3051879']
Ah, reminiscing was so much better back when...

Who's going to be first to post the Monty Python sketch?? (cos comedy was so much better then...)
[/quote]

Funnily (!) enough I think Not The Nine O'Clock News has aged much better than Monty Python...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463499603' post='3051845']
I've had a pretty hard life with some horrific experiences along the way, some have been well documented.
And all I can think is some of you lot really really need to lighten up.
[/quote]

As you say, some of your horrific experiences you have 'well documented'.

There are probably plenty of people on here who have also had what were for them horrific experiences & hard lives but have chosen not to divulge them.

What gives you the right to tell people to lighten up when you have no idea what they have been through in their lives?

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1463504373' post='3051893']
Well obviously the best music was made in the 70s. I was also a teenager in the 70s, but I'm sure those two facts are purely coincidental. B)
[/quote]
Oooh! Nearly forgot: school 6th form 1970 - In The Court Of The Crimson King! :i-m_so_happy:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4"][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4[/media][/url]

This seems to be turning into a thread of describe the decades in a few words with maximum impact!

here go's

60's birth to 4 years, great pedal car, Jimmy Young on the radio, my sister wasn't born...life was good
70's 4 to 14, She came along and spoilt everything, one hot summer and Nottingham Forest won in Europe....life was ok
80's 14 to 24 discovered punk, girls, punk girls, soft drugs, cars and playing bass...life was good...oh yeah, had child!
90's 24 to 34, music went downhill, got job, paid rent, started to have to accept responsibility....life was ok
00's 34 to 44 music and technology start passing me by, working longer, responsibility greater, mortgage payments increase....I loved the 80's
10's 44 to date, scared of technology now, everything hurts more and for longer. hoping decline doesn't continue at current rate otherwise 20's may be of no interest to me!

Life don't talk to me about life :shok:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1463507258' post='3051933']
60's birth to 4 years... my sister wasn't born...life was good
70's 4 to 14, She came along and spoilt everything...
[/quote]
Are you Andrew Gold by any chance?

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1463500680' post='3051855']
The 70s were great. I was born in 1960 so Glam Rock was my intro to music and punk was my later teenage years. I got to see lots of great bands (Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Quo etc) - a great, carefree time to be a teenager.
[/quote]

It really was! :)

"All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist. The Tralfamadorians can look at all the different moments just that way we can look at a stretch of the Rocky Mountains, for instance. They can see how permanent all the moments are, and they can look at any moment that interests them. It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever." - Kurt Vonnegut

Born in the 60s, school in the 70s, got drunk in the 80s, grew up in the 90s (tho still getting drunk), matured more in the 00s (to the point of now stopping getting drunk ever), have finally found peace with myself in the 2010s.

I often hark back to the 80s days though, I was blissfully happy, not a care in the world back then, great group of mates, played in good bands, listened to some great music (though not much people would associate with regular 80s music, which although I hated at the time, I now love it), def my era.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463503312' post='3051883']

As you say, some of your horrific experiences you have 'well documented'.

There are probably plenty of people on here who have also had what were for them horrific experiences & hard lives but have chosen not to divulge them.

What gives you the right to tell people to lighten up when you have no idea what they have been through in their lives?
[/quote]

Because this is the general section of basschat not off topic.

And I actually have every right to say lighten up, just like people can say what they want. I wasn't telling anyone to shut up I was just saying lighten up. Not everyone wants to hear such negatives, so let's throw in some good stuff.

I mentioned myself as I just wanted to say that although there is crap times there is lots if not a lot more positive things in life. I wasn't belittling anyone's life.

Basschat can't half be miserable gits chat at times.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463515168' post='3052039']
And I actually have every right to say lighten up,
[/quote]

Indeed you do. Getting older people to actually take any notice of you is a different biscuit barrel of course... We like to sound off about stuff sometimes. It's our way of giving vent to the agonising pain in which we live every day.* Don't take it personally - you just have to be old is all. :)

* It's a quote. See if you can work out where it's from before opening the spoiler...

[spoiler] [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgRoy057wc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgRoy057wc[/url][/spoiler]

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1463518752' post='3052071']

Indeed you do. Getting older people to actually take any notice of you is a different biscuit barrel of course... We like to sound off about stuff sometimes. It's our way of giving vent to the agonising pain in which we live every day.* Don't take it personally - you just have to be old is all. :)

* It's a quote. See if you can work out where it's from before opening the spoiler...

[spoiler] [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgRoy057wc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgRoy057wc[/url][/spoiler]
[/quote]

I really wasn't being overly critical. My lighten up was more light hearted than it read.

The past is indeed another country... The clichés abound, "one man's meat is another man's poison" and so forth. I was born in 1960. A bit of a heretic to some since during my teens I loathed the fashions/clothes/music of the 70s...

Not everything was bad and not everything was good either, just the same as now in that regard. Bad things included people smoking everywhere (I'm allergic to it). Things like cars were very unreliable and fell apart after about 5 years. Less technology meant that people actually talked to each other...

Technology has moved on tremendously, for better and worse.

Some things have gone backwards though, such as social responsibility of both people and businesses

Edited by zbd1960

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1463550832' post='3052166']
It's only Wednesday morning but this week has been pretty good so far.
[/quote]

Speak for yourself matey! My sciatica is giving me some serious gip this morning! And don't even get me started on the arthritis!! I blame it on the rain (but reserve the right to point the finger elsewhere at need or whim). :unsure:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1463550832' post='3052166']
It's only Wednesday morning but this week has been pretty good so far.
[/quote]

Wednesday morning is the worst of all...

I've already spent two long soul destroying days at work covering up other peoples mistakes and attempting to detract attention from our shocking incompetence by habitually blaming someone else... As it's only Wednesday I still have three whole days left until the weekend when I can numb myself with Gin and pretend everything isn't all about greed and jobs for the boys.... :mellow:

...f**k Wednesday morning :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

Actually, the rot set in during the early seventies.
After heaving itself out of the wartime doldrums (with the notable exception of the jazz scene) music hit an immense high from the late 1940s with the start of rock and roll & RnB and then collapsed and died in a sea of corporate manipulation in about 1972-3.
Not that everything since then has been sh*te, but the sh*te to shinola ration certainly skewed horribly from there on in.
With the notable exceptions of funk and disco, everything being sampled and regurgitated these days seems to be from pre 1971 or is a re-re sampling of something older.
The other thing that happened was the disappearance of fire from the bellies of performing musicians in the popular genres. Production values took over from commitment and great songwriting.
Get off my lawn, kid!

:D