Why become a member? ×

Straplocks - are they necessary?

ProfJames

Schaller for me since getting the Warwick back in 1987. You can also get a Schaller clone - I think Dangleberry Music do them - brand is Boston, they come with two nuts per straplock so the second nut locks the first. You can also get cheap Chinese clones, the only disadvantage being that they have no ramp on the sprung pin so you have to pull the button out to put them on.

i use Schaller mainly because my Warwick Thumb bass has the button already fitted when new and they are fine threaded into the body more like a nut and bolt.
If all your basses sit at same height then its a good idea but my Thumb has odd positioning of strap buttons and therefore strap is different length to my Jazz and Overwater.
I now have different straps on my basses but i like the quick release to pack into their cases.
Dave

I recently fitted my two main basses with Schaller's.
It makes changing basses quite easy, just unlock the strap and pop it on the other bass. It also means just having one strap.

They aren't a must, but I definitely feel my basses are more secure now.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462884395' post='3046601']

I just bought a few sets of these off amazon.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002905YTQ/ref=pe_385721_132108161_TE_3p_dp_1"]https://www.amazon.c...8161_TE_3p_dp_1[/url]

Similar principle to the grolsh washers but hopefully easier to get on and off... thought I'd give them a whirl anyway at £3.45

They should arrive tomorrow, I shall report back if they are any good.
[/quote]

Yeah don't buy these they're crap...

I just found the Schallers a bit noisy; when recording or playing through headphones they would clatter around and creak as the bass moved. The Marvel locks are nice and tight. There's no movement other than rotation around the strap pin.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463084553' post='3048514']
Yeah don't buy these they're crap...
[/quote]

I've got a set of these that I've had for approx. 12 years - granted they've not been used every day in that time, but they've never let me down....

I've tried a few options for strap locks - I'd say they're a no brainer, even if they're never needed it's a relatively small fee in comparison to the damage that could be done.

Fender strap blocks: [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-strap-blocks"]http://www.dawsons.c...er-strap-blocks[/url]
Like the beer lid method, but with a fender logo. These were pretty sturdy, the strap wasn't going to fall off any time soon. However they were a bit of a pain to get on & off, being quite stiff - if you're using one strap between many basses, I wouldn't recommend it. But for £3, if you don't want to change the strap pins to strap locks they're worth it.

Dunlop Lok Straps (as pictured above): [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ergo-lok-strap"]http://www.jimdunlop.../ergo-lok-strap[/url]
Again, doesn't require changing anything on the bass. I bought these about 12 years ago after dropping my friends guitar straight onto my big toe (not pleasant) and didn't want the same happening to my bass. Some of them were a little stiff to twist, others were ok. But they're simple enough, and do the job. As someone else mentioned, thick straps can be a problem because there's no room left for them on the strap pin!

Schaller strap locks: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaller-Security-Strap-Locks-Chrome/dp/B000L3FPUG
The first set I tried that were more substantial than the Lok Straps. I found that the part that secures the strap kept coming unscrewed, which had me nervous. The way it hooks onto the part on the body also felt a little flimsy, plus rattles about a bit. I was never very happy with them in the end.

Dunlop Dual Design strap locks: [url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dual-design"]http://www.jimdunlop...uct/dual-design[/url]
I've settled on these - I now gig regularly & have one strap between a few basses, so needed something that was quick & easy to change. They do require changing the strap pins (and possibly screws depending on size) on the bass, but are worth it - until reading this thread, I'd forgotten that I was even using them. Secure on the strap, and the two pieces fit well together so there's no rattling.

Edited by smaz

I had a set of Schallers on my first "proper" bass. i was forever tightening the pesky thing up, until one day, at rehearsal, the bass crashed to the floor with the strap lock in pieces. I may just have had a rogue one, but it put me off those mechanical locks for life. i tried the Dunlop ones and found that they needed quite a bit of heft (!) to get them secure. Then, I went down the washer route...I tried some eBay specials...thick black washers branded as instrument specific strap locks. They were incredibly stiff and needed a real effort to get them over the pin. After a while they became hard, then brittle, then they cracked and were unusable. By far the most user friendly, cost effective and successful have been the Grolsch grommets. The pack I bought years ago are all nice and supple and they're easy to take off and put on whilst still offering plenty of security. All my basses have them on now. I'm a fan.

I have a separate strap for each of my basses and set of Grolsch washers on each one. Once they're on, they're on so I've never had an issue with stretching them out. An old bass of mine had massive vintage-type strap buttons so the strap was going nowhere (although it's not going anywhere on regular buttons anyway). I only gig one bass and when I put it back in the case/gig bag the strap gets turned round so it's sitting on the strings and therefore isn't going to be damaged by the slider on the strap. I've tried those plastic ones as above and they were garbage.

It doesn't have to be Grolsch either; I got some blue ones from a German beer I have never been able to find again, which is annoying as I've lost one of the washers.

[quote name='smaz' timestamp='1463138497' post='3048884']
I've got a set of these that I've had for approx. 12 years - granted they've not been used every day in that time, but they've never let me down....
[/quote]

They are just too fiddly to get on and off... I thought that they would be an easier to remove version of the grolsh washers, but they are just as difficult to remove and not as secure a fit so I might as well just keep using the grolsh ones!

Very flimsy and plasticy the ones I got as well...

Edited by CamdenRob

Dunlops for me - not the 'washer' type ones, but the metal ones that fit on your strap and bass. For some bands I don't really 'need' them, as I'm the 'quiet one at the back', but others I'm jumping around like a loon. I just stick 'em on all of my basses just in case.

Works for me, and I don't like Grolsch ;)

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1463138526' post='3048885']
I had a set of Schallers on my first "proper" bass. i was forever tightening the pesky thing up, until one day, at rehearsal, the bass crashed to the floor with the strap lock in pieces. I may just have had a rogue one, but it put me off those mechanical locks for life.
[/quote]

I've used Schallers for almost 30 years with no problems on about ten basses. I suspect that you got a rogue one.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1463300364' post='3050193']
I really do not understand why people don't just use washers as straplocks. Loads less fiddly and it will never slip. Plus you look more rock n' roll.
[/quote]

I don't like having a strap on my bass all the time

I use Schallers, but do not bolt them to the strap. I keep the locks completely separate, put the strap on the bass, then clip the locks on. Using them in the traditional way means you have metal rubbing against metal, which can (and has, in my case) cause the strap buttons to shear off.

Have never felt the need, although the particular Levy strap that I use on all my guitars is very thick, and difficult enough to get on, let alone off. On basses they never get removed anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all.
Funniest thing I saw recently was a bassist playing a (presumably quite expensive) Lakland to which he had affixed the strap using GAFFER TAPE. It somewhat spoiled the look of the instrument!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1463300364' post='3050193']
I really do not understand why people don't just use washers as straplocks.
[/quote]

Because I don't want to. It really is as simple as that.