Why become a member? ×

Straplocks - are they necessary?

ProfJames

I always use schallers, couldn't bring myself to go without some sort of lock, I have seen Mike Dean's Sadowsky jazz bass hit the floor numerous times whilst watching Corrosion of Conformity and I cringe every time, he just picks it up screws the stud back in and carries on, for the life of me I can't understand why he doesn't use locks.

I have had the strap come undone on numerous occasions. Once when I was singing the lead vocals and had to quickly grab the bass to stop it from hitting the deck, while keeping the vocals going.
As expected, there was a great clunk! as I grabbed it and as there was now no bass in the music it sounded awful.
I now use the Fender straplocks on all my basses, and I can now use any strap with any bass.
You may get the same protection with a bottle washer, but I would recommend using some sort of straplock.

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1462874578' post='3046418']
I use some little plastic twist locks which are really neat secure and cost about £3
[/quote]

I've just ordered some of those off Amazon... They look much easier to put on and off than the grolsh washers.

Edited by CamdenRob

I used to use those little square things that were on the end of sliced bread packs.

When I got my first Warwick (early-mid 90s), it had flush mount Dunlops fitted as standard, so I've pretty much stuck with that brand for the last 20-odd years, never failed me. I had a Rickenbacker 4003 for a while too and that had factory fitted Schallers which did the job just as well, but ultimately I just prefer the Dunlop design.

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1462884158' post='3046597']
Can you send me the link please?
[/quote]

I just bought a few sets of these off amazon.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002905YTQ/ref=pe_385721_132108161_TE_3p_dp_1"]https://www.amazon.c...8161_TE_3p_dp_1[/url]

Similar principle to the grolsh washers but hopefully easier to get on and off... thought I'd give them a whirl anyway at £3.45

They should arrive tomorrow, I shall report back if they are any good.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have ten basses worth in total about 10 grand, I have one luxury strap which I use all the time, it's fitted with a Schaller strap-lock, and every single bass has a Schaller strap-lock peg fitted, you can buy the pegs separately for about a fiver a pair.

Why scrimp on something that will protect your bass which not only costs a lot of money, but might be irreplaceable to you, no matter how much, or how little it costs.

It's a no brainer for me. :rolleyes:

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462884395' post='3046601']
I just bought a few sets of these off amazon.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002905YTQ/ref=pe_385721_132108161_TE_3p_dp_1"]https://www.amazon.c...8161_TE_3p_dp_1[/url]

Similar principle to the grolsh washers but hopefully easier to get on and off... thought I'd give them a whirl anyway at £3.45
[/quote]

They're pretty difficult to get on if your strap is quite thick. I've had the twisty locking bit come away from the other part too, which is why i stopped using them.

Are you sitting comfortably children? Then I'll begin...

Back in the day (let's say the early 80s) I would fit my strap to my guitar each time I played and remove it afterwards. Before too long the leather around the slotted holes became fatigued and all chewed up, to the point where it could not be relied on to stay put. After a few near-misses I would reluctantly toddle off and buy a new strap, although I kept the old one 'just in case'.

Once I started gigging regularly (90s) I decided I needed something more reliable. As I usually took 2 guitars (not basses) to a gig, I purchased 2 sets of plastic doodads and fitted them to a couple of straps. I can't find a picture on Google, but they were terrible. The bit that enclosed the existing strap button was ok, but they were secured to the strap with the worst fittings ever - the screw heads had wide, shallow slots, with which no screwdriver bit known to man would engage.

Eventually I gave up and started fitting Schallers. I still have these on most of my skinny-string guitars, but they are not without their problems, namely:
(1) There is no way to lock the large nut to the strap, so it tends to come loose;
(2) I have had the whole thing come apart, with pins and springs rolling round the stage;
(3) They can creak as you move the instrument around;
(4) If you have an instrument designed to be stood on 2 strap buttons, the strap lock doesn't allow this; and
(5) The arrangement puts a greater torque on the screws that secure the strap-lock buttons.

On my basses I have now gone over to Grolsch washers. I have a Neotech Mega strap 'permanently' attached to each of my Precisions, and a Comfort Strapp on my Mustang. It's a relatively costly solution, but the most secure as far as I can see. Arguably I could dispense with the washers as the slotted holes are not getting stretched over the strap button flanges, but hey-ho.

I have also tried the black plastic disc-type locks. They are generally fine if you have 3 hands (1 to hold the guitar, 1 to hold each part of the lock) but it seems to take excessive force to remove them from some strap buttons.

If there is a moral to this story, it is only that there is no single perfect solution. Also it is surprising how much boring guff I can type when the mood takes me :blink:

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462884395' post='3046601']
I just bought a few sets of these off amazon....
[/quote]

Yes, I had those, too; they work fine enough if you don't use the guitar much, but are flimsy. I'm not sure that I've a complete set [i]anywhere [/i]now (and I don't play [i]that [/i]much, either...). Not recommended, despite the principle being pretty sound. They're just not tough enough; sorry.

Used the original Dunlop plastic strap locking washers for years and never had one problem.
Not tried the newer ones mind.....
And also never had a Grolsch washer fail either, although have n't yet tried the Fender ones.
Must add that I'm not a fan of Straplocks - too much faffing around with the instrument and their
respective straps for my liking.

Huge fan of Dunlop Straploks and used them on all my basses for years. When I was looking into it I knew a bunch of chums who used Schallers. With about half of them the lock had slipped round on the strap so that the round bit of the U shaped slot was at the top and the open bit was at the bottom. That's not so clever in engineering and safety terms, I thought, so Dunlops it was. Been totally chuffed with them and never had a problem with them...

I have used blue washers from posh water bottles for years on my Shuker-never had a minutes's trouble, they have truly been fit and forget-which I certainly couldn't say about the Schallers I used to use. I only use leather slotted straps with no buckles so I just fold the strap over inside the hard case when I put the bass away.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1462884717' post='3046606']
I have ten basses worth in total about 10 grand, I have one luxury strap which I use all the time, it's fitted with a Schaller strap-lock, and every single bass has a Schaller strap-lock peg fitted, you can buy the pegs separately for about a fiver a pair.

Why scrimp on something that will protect your bass which not only costs a lot of money, but might be irreplaceable to you, no matter how much, or how little it costs.

It's a no brainer for me. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I was going to add my views on this matter, but TheBrig has pretty much said word-for-word what I was going to say...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1462996665' post='3047741']
Ok you deserve everything you get, if you ever do this nonsense on stage. but use strap locks. Don't let this happen to you.!! :lol: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7hMUxZjsBM[/media]
[/quote]

Love the swimming pool one.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463000368' post='3047783']
Just bought a couple of flip top bottles of Grolsch for £1.60 each at Morrisons - job done.
And the lager is rather good too.............
[/quote]

Gives me wind. :blush: