Why become a member? ×

Functions/Wedding band?

ChunkyMunky

Only ever done one function, an awards evening. It was a lot of waiting around but better than a pub gig.

It was held in a marquee so the sound of the band...well, travelled far. One local resident, dressed in what looked like some grubby shorts and a vest 'arrived' at the function, which was dinner jacket and ball gowns, to complain. He happened to come up to us, the band, who'd only just come off stage for the DJ to finish the night. We promptly passed him on to the 'organiser' of said event. :)

Yep, I do it all the time - I enjoy it: some great venues: castles, under Concorde, there are very few country house hotels I haven't seen (well, it feels that way), always an enthusiastic audience - compared to some pubs and their arms-folded clientèle, wedding guests have dressed up and come out for a great time, so they're a pleasure to play for...oh, and the money's pretty good, too. With imagination, you can play some great songs, I also enjoy the spread of music I get to play, to take me out of my comfort zone (Daft Punk to Paul Simon to Irish stuff to GnR to Bruno Mars to Luther Vandross to Toto to, well, a lot - haven't played Moondance or Mustang Sally so far...). I play with a few deps, too, and it's nice to play at a challenging level, as some of the guys we have are very very good indeed.

Edited by Muzz

I did functions for several years. It is a lot of money but a long day. As Muzz says, people are generally in the mood for a party although weddings can be changeable - sometimes they just want to catch up with each other and the band gets in the way. Personally, I prefer pubs these days but that is just because I don't want to get home at 3am anymore.

My experience is similar to Muzz' above.

I've been doing it for 21 years and have depped with a couple of wedding/function bands in that time too.

Good fun most of the time and there have been many funny moments from people just making complete fools of themselves to the wedding stationary have the couple's names as "Steven & Lousie" instead of Louise.

Lots of waiting around but if you're with a group of like minded people who enjoy having a laugh and being together then it makes it very enjoyable

Was in a pro function band for 15 years. Had an absolute ball, playing at events and meeting people I'd never
otherwise have happened upon. Worked abroad too, along with prestige venues (Albert Hall etc) which I would
otherwise not have had a chance of doing. Got wined and dined very well into the bargain.
You need a long fuse, patience, the ability to be messed around a fair bit and generally a professional attitude.
Wide musical knowledge / appreciation essential, as is the ability to compromise on gear / setting up space and generally
remaining 'flexible'. If you can do this, you should enjoy!

I used to play weddings and such as a duo (drums, accordion/keys...) here in France. Good money, good ambiance (mostly; some 'instant divorces', but not down to the music...). Late hours, but good fun, and no great hassle at the time. We had a way of finishing off the evening if it was going on for too long: 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' (yes, drums, accordion/keys...), and if that wasn't enough, 'A Saucerful Of Secrets'. Happy daze...

Edited by Dad3353

It's better than a pub gig. But it's much more stressful, as a band leader the amount of crap I've had to contest with over the last 18 months is crazy! All sorts of things from a bride and groom who agreed a set list and first song dance to then complain they didn't like what we played on the day, and we did a corporate gig not too long ago, an AGM, where within the first two songs half the employees had left either cause they had work the next morning or they'd hit the bar far too hard, to the point our drummer was almost covered in vomit mid way through the first song!

Did functions for 13 years in the UK now only do about 6 a year here in France (usually Brit weddings in French chateaux)

As already said, can be a very long day and hard work physically. Speeches go on forever, planners and caterers don't want you anywhere near their decorated tables and you can actually start playing when you thought you'd be back home ;)

However, on the plus side, great money, 99% of the time very nice people, very appreciative audiences and usually great food provided for the artistes (last two I've done had resident Michelin chefs) Also can be great opportunities to hand out some advertising / do a little networking for future clients / events.

You tend to want to refine it and be a featured band...ie, not want to carry the whole evening as that means getting there early and leaving late and working longer sets.

I think it is important to come to terms with how long you are on the gig and how much you want to get paid.

Used to do loads years ago . Did a dep function last year , and to be honest , I do miss it a bit .

As already said - long hours etc , but money good , and normally everyone up for it .

Also , when I was single , there was more chance of a 'take home' , than at the Tickled Trout pub - he he

It's my full time gig now and I really enjoy it, the key is to get in a band who really want to be good. Get a very big set together, and know it inside out, get lots of medleys together, but keep them simple enough so a dep can follow the band without too much stress.

In Scotland the standard wedding is 7-8 set up and 8-12 playing, so not that long a day compared to a job, though we do travel quite far, and overnighters are pretty common. Most Scottish wedding bands will do about an hour of Ceilidh spread out over the night, which is why we end up playing in England and Ireland fairly regularly if one of the couple are Scottish.

As mentioned above, if you enjoy playing a really varied set, and don't get too upset at having to play Maggie May or Sweet Home Alabama it is a great way to earn a living, or at least supplement your earnings.

It's all worth it to get to play the solo of You Can Call Me Al a few times a week.

I used to do a few years ago, mainly weddings as the band I was in at the time had a broad appeal set list which was great for a drunken dance, and it paid well. And also, as our friend writes above, there was a quite often a well oiled bridesmaid who wanted me to show her a pentatonic scale, if you catch my drift...

But those days are long gone and the happily married me now only does the occasional function, which pleases me as I can't really be bothered with the time spent waiting and the late nights. To be fair my band is probably a bit heavy for most do's but we do get asked occasionally. We're doing a 40th in deepest darkest Wales in the autumn which will involve a night away, and to be honest I'd rather get back at night to wife and little boy, but it'll be a bit of an adventure and there will be £££s!

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456955648' post='2994088']
It's all worth it to get to play the solo of You Can Call Me Al a few times a week.
[/quote]

Lord, I used to DREAD that moment!

The wedding-band frightener is the first dance. We learned Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time, but after trying it out had to transpose for a male vocal.

No sooner did we arrive than we were told the chief bridesmaid wanted to sing it ... In the original key. Talk about walking on eggshells!!

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1456971287' post='2994173']
Lord, I used to DREAD that moment!

The wedding-band frightener is the first dance. We learned Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time, but after trying it out had to transpose for a male vocal.

No sooner did we arrive than we were told the chief bridesmaid wanted to sing it ... In the original key. Talk about walking on eggshells!!
[/quote]

That's one of my favourite bits - the bit where you're either asked to play something you already do in a different key or play something you've never heard before. In the beginning it used to frighten me but I think with experience and confidence I enjoy it a lot more now.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1456991605' post='2994206']
That's one of my favourite bits - the bit where you're either asked to play something you already do in a different key or play something you've never heard before. In the beginning it used to frighten me but I think with experience and confidence I enjoy it a lot more now.
[/quote]

Yep, I like this, too - nothing like being out of your comfort zone now and again!

Oh, and the You Can Call Me Al - I fretted about that solo/fill for ages, until I YouTubed lots of people making a total arse of it (including a couple of Paul Simon's live bassists), at which point I relaxed a bit :D

On a non-musical front, it's just nice to have a working environment filled with happy, excited people. Oh, there are exceptions, but the vast majority of the time even the Bridezillas have relaxed by the time we come on... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1456947113' post='2993942']
You need a long fuse, patience, the ability to be messed around a fair bit and generally a professional attitude.
Wide musical knowledge / appreciation essential, as is the ability to compromise on gear / setting up space and generally
remaining 'flexible'. If you can do this, you should enjoy!
[/quote]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1456947582' post='2993952']
That's me f***ed then.
[/quote]

Yup, me too

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1456992993' post='2994216']
Oh, and the You Can Call Me Al - I fretted about that solo/fill for ages, until I YouTubed lots of people making a total arse of it (including a couple of Paul Simon's live bassists), at which point I relaxed a bit :D

[/quote]

I used to joke with our keys player that no one would notice if i didnt play a single note during this solo, just made it completely percussive, to the same rhythm of the actual solo.
I did it once, and had a bigger cheer than when i played the solo proper :blink: :rolleyes:

Can only echo everyone elses sentiments though. There is more waiting around, but in general, the crowds are far more "up for it"

It's been my bread & butter for 16 years now & I can only echo the sentiments of everyone else's replies..
I enjoy the diversity of the music so much more than gigging pubs, which round my way on the 'Pub rock/covers' circuit seems to have come to the point of interchangeable faces/line ups yet the sets/playlists remain remarkably similar? (Foos,Chillis,Muse anyone?)

Used to do quite a few. Glad I don't any more. For me the 'cons' outweigh the 'pros'. Money is good but there can be loads of travelling, hanging around for hours horrible music to play. You can often be expected to be a human juke box and people often have no idea that you have to know/learn a song before you can play it. Did a wedding once which turned out to be for travellers which was an absolute nightmare.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1456947121' post='2993943']
Long days, dress trousers, shiny shoes, Sex on Fire... it's not for me.
[/quote]

Did it for a couple of years. In the end, the compulsory audience participation and the false bonhomie routine got to me and I quit. However, [i]if[/i] you can hack it, it is a viable and relatively easy way to become a pro musician. If you're in a properly-managed and busy function outfit, the money can be very good indeed.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1456999569' post='2994294']
You can often be expected to be a human juke box and people often have no idea that you have to know/learn a song before you can play it.
[/quote]

Ha it never fails to amaze me how some people think that because you're a musician you know how to play every song ever written!