Why become a member? ×

Functions/Wedding band?

ChunkyMunky

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457264868' post='2996793']
Spot on, Blue. I think some on here may not realise that us function players can also play music that satisfies the soul - I play in an interesting band that makes no (or very little) money when I'm not doing the paid stuff. I just don't do it on Saturday night when the wedding gigs are happening. Re. DJs, I always ask people when they call if they've booked a DJ yet (most weddings, etc. I do have a DJ to finish the night). If they haven't, I suggest they load their music of choice on an iPod or similar and I'll play it through the PA (for an additional fee, of course, but it still costs them less than hiring a DJ). Handy extra earner.
[/quote]

I know, many here think cover band means playing Moon Dance and Mustang Sally.And playing the same songs over and over.

Well, that's not true,many cover bands have a diverse range of material to play. Hell, we play Peter Green's "Oh Well" to Nancy Sinatras "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and everthing in between.

BTW, I never play the bass lines the same way twice. You don't have to. You can be just as creative with covers in some cases even more creative than with originals.

For example, we play Robin Trowers "Too Rolling Stoned. I do the bass intro, but I have extended the intro and I throw a couple of measures of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way". It's fun.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457293921' post='2997131']
BTW, I never play the bass lines the same way twice. You don't have to. You can be just as creative with covers in some cases even more creative than with originals.

Blue
[/quote]

I find the snobbery of "originals are better" kind of funny, I play with a singer songwriter from time to time, but the songs are all his, so to me it's still playing cover versions. No matter what I play I try to play what's best for the song, and it always sounds like me playing.

i fink....

a good gig is a good gig. I've played functions that have been really great and some where the band are a bit of aural wall paper. got paid the same amount regardless of the venue and audience

having said that its the same with pubs and clubs!

Worst case senario:

I think some functions can be less of a good vibe for the band because if its a wedding, most guests came for the wedding as a whole and not just to see the band. Also the venue may hold 200 but they could only afford to have 50/only have 50 friends?
Half of that 50 are the oldies and small children which leave by 10 pm along with the odd parent leaving an audience of 20 ish.
Atmosphere is now pretty dead but dont worry ,you didnt organize it so just put your best foot forward and continue to play your best regardless.

Sometimes early in the evening,the band are a welcome distraction for the guests so they dont have to keep talking to each other any more. Usually with this sort of crowd its the last folks still standing 2 tunes from the end, that are now suitably pissed enough to get into it and want you to go on all night. All the other guests went home about 10ish.

Or...............its great crowd up for it all night in which case ...great!

either way you (should) get paid top dollar and every gig you do is another bit of experience. Once I had the brides father come up to the band and said:

"do you think you could turn it down a bit?"

to which the drummer replied very loudly from behind me:

"do you think you could f*** off?"

yes. it happened.......... more stories like that by the bucket...........

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1457370515' post='2997869']

[/quote]

Ooh, I've got a good few stories like that :P

Not wanting to high-jack the thread but can someone please tell me what is so special about "Sex On Fire"?

TBH I'm not really a Kings Of Leon fan. Their earlier songs were OK if nothing particularly special, but a photo of them in a music mag sporting ridiculous beards pretty much put me off investigating any further. A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend was playing their "Only By The Night" album in the car, and I got to hear Sex On Fire properly for the first time. I really don't get it. It's not the best track on the album by a long shot and not helped by the fact that the two tracks before it are far stronger songs, in terms of tunes, riff and general anthemic qualities. So what's the big deal? Why is a fairly mediocre song by a mediocre band such a crowd pleaser?

Don't ask me, mate, I just play it... :D

Hammered wedding punters love it, though: there's unseemly jumping around and a lot of fun had by the crowd. Every single time...

I've very very very rarely seen an originals band (present company excluded, natch :) ) play to that kind of reaction in a similar-sized venue...

It is out of all proportion to the song, though: it's got a big chorus, but so have zillions of other songs...

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1457370515' post='2997869']
Once I had the brides father come up to the band and said:

[/quote]

Very professional. The bride's father should have countered "Do you want paying?"

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1457429803' post='2998336']
Not wanting to high-jack the thread but can someone please tell me what is so special about "Sex On Fire"?

TBH I'm not really a Kings Of Leon fan. Their earlier songs were OK if nothing particularly special, but a photo of them in a music mag sporting ridiculous beards pretty much put me off investigating any further. A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend was playing their "Only By The Night" album in the car, and I got to hear Sex On Fire properly for the first time. I really don't get it. It's not the best track on the album by a long shot and not helped by the fact that the two tracks before it are far stronger songs, in terms of tunes, riff and general anthemic qualities. So what's the big deal? Why is a fairly mediocre song by a mediocre band such a crowd pleaser?
[/quote]

Would you say that Mustang Sally was the best cover by The Commitments? Just the way it is, I guess.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1457430313' post='2998349']
Don't ask me, mate, I just play it... :D

Hammered wedding punters love it, though: there's unseemly jumping around and a lot of fun had by the crowd. Every single time...

I've very very very rarely seen an originals band (present company excluded, natch :) ) play to that kind of reaction in a similar-sized venue...

It is out of all proportion to the song, though: it's got a big chorus, but so have zillions of other songs...
[/quote]

I don't play it. I only knowingly heard it for the first time the other week. Even in my relatively brief stint of being in a covers band the question of playing "Sex On Fire" never came up. However we did play "I Predict A Riot" to which I had a similar reaction, although I quite liked the baseline in the verse on that.

And I don't think the chorus on "Sex On Fire" is that big. On the whole the song doesn't seem to really get going until just before the end.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457431760' post='2998379']
Would you say that Mustang Sally was the best cover by The Commitments? Just the way it is, I guess.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with "Mustang Sally" because I rarely hear it (I'd never heard before I saw the film) and I've never had to play it. It's not really the sort of music I'd choose to listen to or to play but I "get" why it's popular with audiences because it's upbeat and catchy - things I can't hear in "Sex On Fire".

It was getting into the wedding/function circuit that enabled me to quit my day job and "go pro", for want of a much less w***y phrase. I earn my living from a mix of playing and sound engineering, but work with a couple of regular bands and am a go-to dep for a couple of other so get to do a reasonable amount of playing, although never as much as I'd like!

I really enjoy it, for me the pros far outweigh the cons - yes, there's a ton of waiting around to do, but I work with a nice bunch of players whose company I enjoy so it's rarely a chore to spend an evening hanging around with them, or I use the time to get other work done rather than losing out on time with my family to sit and do my admin/invoicing and other such nonsense. It brought my playing on a load when I jumped from playing bass in odd time signatures for noisy rock bands to having to learn and absorb a bunch of different styles of music from the last six or seven decades, many of which it would never have occurred to me to play. It's not always the same old stuff, although there's a few songs I'd rather skip I just get on with it because I'm spending the night playing music, it's all fun!

I worked for a "sensible" day job for a big company for seven years, it was a culture of distrust, performance management was bearing down on everyone, constantly expected to do more with less and do it quicker. I couldn’t go back to that world now. I always remind myself that the worst gig is still always going to be better than the best day at the office!

So, in short... Wedding gigs are sound, go for it!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1457434057' post='2998423']
They hit a rich seam - it's a dumb, shouty and saucy chorus that's easy for drunken people to holler en-masse.
[/quote]

Yup, that's my experience of it. They love it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457439303' post='2998493']
Same as

I Predict A Riot,
Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby....!
Chelsea Dagger...

Songs for meatheads.

Apologies to any meatheads that may be reading.

I hate playing them because they usually start trouble.
[/quote]
No need to apologise here, meatheads can't read ;)

Btw, the original post asked for stories. The best I saw was at a Burns night supper. I was playing in the ceili band. As is customary, a bagpiper had been booked. He had already done several jobs by the time he arrived - pipers normally play for 10-15 mins to pipe in the haggis or similar and move on - and had obviously been given a generous dram at each of them. He was incapable of speech, but could still walk and play so that was fine. He piped in the haggis, which was placed on a table on stage. The MC stepped up to read Burns's Ode to a Haggis, whilst our hero played, marching on the spot and marking time. Unfortunately, his inebriation, combined with the effort of blowing, caused a loss of control of his bowels. He was wearing his kilt in the traditional manner, so the resultant log dropped between his feet. As he was marking time, he stepped on it, slipped back and his foot flew up. The log broke into pieces and the bits flew into the audience. Members of the band narrowly avoided a coronary from the merriment.

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457446664' post='2998656']
Btw, the original post asked for stories. The best I saw was at a Burns night supper. I was playing in the ceili band. As is customary, a bagpiper had been booked. He had already done several jobs by the time he arrived - pipers normally play for 10-15 mins to pipe in the haggis or similar and move on - and had obviously been given a generous dram at each of them. He was incapable of speech, but could still walk and play so that was fine. He piped in the haggis, which was placed on a table on stage. The MC stepped up to read Burns's Ode to a Haggis, whilst our hero played, marching on the spot and marking time. Unfortunately, his inebriation, combined with the effort of blowing, caused a loss of control of his bowels. He was wearing his kilt in the traditional manner, so the resultant log dropped between his feet. As he was marking time, he stepped on it, slipped back and his foot flew up. The log broke into pieces and the bits flew into the audience. Members of the band narrowly avoided a coronary from the merriment.
[/quote]

Fantastic :D . I would willingly wear me suit, shirt and tie to witness such an event