Why become a member? ×

Functions/Wedding band?

ChunkyMunky

Seeing the bride being subjected to the dirty dancing lift... and then being dropped on her head and knocked out... by the best man, was probably my highlight.

Or the time that the bride and groom refused to talk to each other after falling out. When the first dance came (at 11.45pm) he tried to put his arms around her waist. She simply took them off. Awkward.

My worst was at the very end of the night, all the guests made a big circle we played Auld Lang Syne as always, and the bride came into the circle with her sister as the groom had to go back to the police station after being arrested the night before for drink driving in a stolen car. Apparently they are still married.......

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457442810' post='2998583']
If someone in my band did that they would get fired.
[/quote]
t'was in an older band where all involved were so badly behaved at all times that some punters thought it was part of an act. We even got booked cause they had either been to a previous do as a guest or heard on the grapevine what we were like.

funny thing was, it wasnt an act at all...

Very serious band these days though....much ,more professional .......if a bit boring.......dem da breaks ect.......but yeah ,in my current regular band this would all be a very big telling off and that

I've had the classic bridezilla throw up all over the dance floor...that was entertaining. Also I'm always amazed how our drummer always manages to be first in the queue for food...even when it hasn't been offered to the band.

And as for good gigs/ bad gigs...like my LSD experiences in the 1990's, in 4yrs on this I've never had a bad one :D

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457446664' post='2998656']
Btw, the original post asked for stories. The best I saw was at a Burns night supper. I was playing in the ceili band. As is customary, a bagpiper had been booked. He had already done several jobs by the time he arrived - pipers normally play for 10-15 mins to pipe in the haggis or similar and move on - and had obviously been given a generous dram at each of them. He was incapable of speech, but could still walk and play so that was fine. He piped in the haggis, which was placed on a table on stage. The MC stepped up to read Burns's Ode to a Haggis, whilst our hero played, marching on the spot and marking time. Unfortunately, his inebriation, combined with the effort of blowing, caused a loss of control of his bowels. He was wearing his kilt in the traditional manner, so the resultant log dropped between his feet. As he was marking time, he stepped on it, slipped back and his foot flew up. The log broke into pieces and the bits flew into the audience. Members of the band narrowly avoided a coronary from the merriment.
[/quote]

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! I just laughed out (a bit too) loudly at that and am now getting looks in the office......

Done it for a number of years and glad it is on the decline personally.

Where there has been some great gigs and played with some fantastic folk, I feel that the repeated pattern was taken its toll.

Now that they happen on an occasionally basis, I enjoy them more and thankful for the selected folk I play with.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1457464875' post='2998878']
I've had the classic bridezilla throw up all over the dance floor...that was entertaining. Also I'm always amazed how our drummer always manages to be first in the queue for food...even when it hasn't been offered to the band.

And as for good gigs/ bad gigs...like my LSD experiences in the 1990's, in 4yrs on this I've never had a bad one :D
[/quote]

Why would anyone take LSD in the 90s.
LSD was one of our 60s things.

Blue

Edited by blue

My band play mostly rock based covers and get booked for private and corporate functions. We dont do suit and tie dressing up but are always presentable with outfits fitting for the occasion. Never compromise what we play as we wouldn't enjoy that even for the extra cash.
All of us prefer playing pub gigs to audiences who are in your face rather than at weddings where only a portion of the punters are interested in a live rock band. We've had good ones and not so good.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457656356' post='3000797']

Why would anyone take LSD in the 90s.
LSD was one of our 60s things.
Blue
[/quote]

Haha, I wasn't alive in the 60's but I'm lead to believe the 90's batch wasn't quite the same (please note I was not a 90's rave type, rather I was in the Acid Jazz vibe)..... even then the elderly people regularly proclaimed it was all about the 60's. That said I think I only tried the drug twice (....or was that as per Cheech & Chong, 'Twentytwice' )

Anyhow not to derail the thread but our weddings band guitard has recreationaly experimented over the last year, it hasn't improved his playing despite supplying him with many a Funkadelic album & Mahavishnu Orchestra etc - it must therefore mean that todays quality is even worse still, albeit some legal high derivative probably. So there you go don't do drugs in the modern day kids, they're bad....they're not proper anymore and don't induce star shaped sunglasses....and nowadays working within psychiatric settings I've seen it first hand ;)

Edited by Raslee