Why become a member? ×

Functions/Wedding band?

ChunkyMunky

I did functions for quite a while to pay the bills....hated most of them.
(I could name some rubbish venues, but I won't).
Pubs were easier and the money wasn't that bad....I notice the one round
the corner has just applied to extend it's hours until 2.30am,
which rather fu*ks pub gigs up for me, I don't want to get home at dawn.....

:yarr:

I make about 50% of my income through gigging at weddings and functions. I must say I enjoy it immensely for many reasons. The crowd is always up for a laugh, and it feels great knowing you are properly entertaining a large crowd. It's great for networking with other musicians also, some of whom are scarily talented! A lot of professional players pay the bills this way. By and large the gigs finish early in NI (11pm or midnight) so you can be home and in bed early with a good wage. I have some truly great memories from gigging on this scene and have met many lifelong friends.

I just cannot wear a suit, shirt and tie, pure and simple. Hence I have spent my years playing bass in rock bars, clubs and bikers festivals. Have been doing a Saturday night residency for 10 years now. Always a full house, good cash in hand and get to play a ton of tracks that i love playing. A saturday night residency rules me out of the wedding/function scene, but I am not bothered.
We have agreed to play a wedding next month, but the bride and groom have signed up to our set list, so no there will not be any waltzes. And we will be wearing t-shirt and jeans.
Been working on' hot for teacher' this week, so fingers crossed we will nail it tonight.

Edited by leroydiamond

I only did a bit of function/wedding stuff when I was still living in Ireland, and wedding bands there are certainly a lot cheesier than in Scotland. I still have to wear a shirt and tie, but there's a lot less Enrique Iglesias and Garth Brooks, maybe I've been unlucky with what I saw in Ireland, but my sister's wedding band a few months ago were the cheesiest thing I've ever seen, great musicians, but awful songs.

40 years now doing functions and weddings, Love the challenge to be the best, and that's about pleasing people, not just bride and Groom but Gran and Gramp and their little nephews and nieces who will be the only ones on the floor for the first 1/2 hour until you can actually find the bride to come and do their first dance. As said above a long time away from home, some are great some are shttt. But learning new chart material and playing stuff you would not otherwise play is great.

It's been while playing functions and weddings that I realised that a lot of songs that I can't bear to listen to are really good fun to play.

Two examples would be Crazy in Love by Beyonce and Uptown Funk. Can't stand listening to them but they're really enjoyable to play and always get people up on the dance floor.

Took me a while to get into Le Freak which should've been an obvious one to enjoy playing but it did take some time.

Still can't stand Sex on Fire though. It was terrible the first time I heard it and hasn't got any better after playing it a gajillion times. Ditto for Valerie, although I was fortunate enough to dep with a band that did the original Zutons version and really enjoyed playing it.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1457174421' post='2995972']
Ditto for Valerie, although I was fortunate enough to dep with a band that did the original Zutons version and really enjoyed playing it.
[/quote]

I was in a function band that covered that song. It's an indication of how things were when the MD asked me why I stopped playing in the vocal bridge. Not the only reason, but I left fairly soon after that. :)

[size=4]As deepbass5, 40 years worth of depping and regular functions/weddings.
During the 80' and 90's I worked for a couple of well known high society function band leaders.
Anything thing from six piece up to twenty piece bands, gigs world wide for very well know celebs,
private parties for royalty, political gatherings, corporate trade shows etc.

The Rhythm section often had to play through the dinner courses,
the hours would be very, very long. Some weeks there might even be seven nights of work,
including Jewish gigs, West End tea dances, strict Tempo comps.
Small band afternoon gigs in London Hotels would pop up as well, so you might have two gigs in a day.

Always top players and singers on the gigs, so usually very enjoyable.
Some of the overseas gigs where a riot socially. :D[/size]

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457170904' post='2995928']
I only did a bit of function/wedding stuff when I was still living in Ireland, and wedding bands there are certainly a lot cheesier than in Scotland. I still have to wear a shirt and tie, but there's a lot less Enrique Iglesias and Garth Brooks, maybe I've been unlucky with what I saw in Ireland, but my sister's wedding band a few months ago were the cheesiest thing I've ever seen, great musicians, but awful songs.
[/quote]
+1. I was at a function a couple of years back. Terrific food,company and great craic. Then the band started up and I just had to toddle off to bed it was that bad IMO. It was scary to discover how much those guys got paid, really scary.

I enjoy function gigs - doing a job this eve. Can't fathom the comments here about "sh*t music", "hate wearing a tie/clean shoes", etc. It's good money (sometimes very good - a damn sight more than some poor buggers earn for half a week of graft) for playing music. Even if you don't like the songs, you can look at it as paid practice/rehearsal time - keeping the fingers in trim. As others say, I've played with some great musicians in nice places and been well paid over the years. What's not to like? Beats shovelling sh*t any day of the week. A certain amount of snobbery in some posts here, I feel. Well that's OK. More well paid functions for yours truly if others don't want them :)

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457189881' post='2996185']
I enjoy function gigs - doing a job this eve. Can't fathom the comments here about "sh*t music", "hate wearing a tie/clean shoes", etc. It's good money (sometimes very good - a damn sight more than some poor buggers earn for half a week of graft) for playing music. Even if you don't like the songs, you can look at it as paid practice/rehearsal time - keeping the fingers in trim. As others say, I've played with some great musicians in nice places and been well paid over the years. What's not to like? Beats shovelling sh*t any day of the week. A certain amount of snobbery in some posts here, I feel. Well that's OK. More well paid functions for yours truly if others don't want them :)
[/quote]

I get my kicks doing different gigs to you, that's all.

...It's good money for playing music. Even if you don't like the songs, you can look at it as paid practice/rehearsal time... What's not to like? Beats shovelling sh*t any day of the week...
[/quote]

It certainly does. I'm OK with it in principle, I left the particular band I was in more for personal reasons than with any problem of wearing a shirt, trousers and shoes and playing songs I wouldn't normally listen to. As said earlier, it's one very valid way to become a pro bass player if that's your thing.

Edited by discreet

I still do them and have done many, but I'm not a fan despite the, normally, better money. For weddings there's always so much hanging around, way more than a pub/club gig and I always feel like you're the hired help, which of course you are. The guests often feel like they have a right to make ridiculous demands merely because they were invited and you weren't. I prefer pub/club gigs where the punters are there for the music, not where the band are an adjunct to the day. However, I won't dismiss offers of functions out of hand and if you need to put food on the table, these gigs are the best way to achieve this. YMMV.

[/quote]
Keep your shirt (and tie on) :) . If it works for you then great. Some of my best mates are in the function/wedding scene. It pays well and puts food on the table, so happy days. Not my thing and that's not being a snob

I've been doing it for 4 years in the Southwest UK and totally love it, great vibes, big dancing crowds and the money has enabled me to drop my day job to 4 days a week. Downsides, late nights followed by children jumping on me early the next morning... but when I flash the cash my wife is sympathetic ;)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1457170595' post='2995923']
I just cannot wear a suit, shirt and tie, pure and simple.[/quote]

Everybody has a price.

Blue

Wedding business has always been good for bands. However,even this piece of action has been hit. DJs

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1457209357' post='2996439']
I've been doing it for 4 years in the Southwest UK and totally love it, great vibes, big dancing crowds and the money has enabled me to drop my day job to 4 days a week. Downsides, late nights followed by children jumping on me early the next morning... but when I flash the cash my wife is sympathetic ;)
[/quote]

That is an awesome story.Cool that you were able to drop some of your day job.

Blue

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1457193248' post='2996236']

Keep your shirt (and tie on) :) . If it works for you then great. Some of my best mates are in the function/wedding scene. It pays well and puts food on the table, so happy days. Not my thing and that's not being a snob[/quote]

Not my thing either,however I would join
a good established wedding band in a heart beat.

Thing is, and we've discussed this before. These opportunities that pay good consistent money are not open to outsiders.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

Dan,

I think some of the hate and complaints come from those that never quite caught on or life circumstances prevent them from getting into the money making side of their skill. Or those that live in areas where the business is not there.And there are some that will only play genres where there's no business to be had.

I can only think those not in it for money
are not out there playing 4 hour bar gigs 3 times a week hauling lights and PA for free.

Just a little personal history. I'm not sure how I made it through working in the corporate insurance industry for 30 years. I was never much good at it and I hated the work. I was ashamed of it.

Now, I have a life. I love it when someone ask what I do for a living. I can proudly say;

"I play bass guitar and sing in a rock & roll band."

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457240490' post='2996620']

Dan,

I think some of the hate and complaints come from those that never quite caught on or life circumstances prevent them from getting into the money making side of their skill. Or those that live in areas where the business is not there.And there are some that will only play genres where there's no business to be had.

are not out there playing 4 hour bar gigs 3 times a week hauling lights and PA for free.

Just a little personal history. I'm not sure how I made it through working in the corporate insurance industry for 30 years. I was never much good at it and I hated the work. I was ashamed of it.

Now, I have a life. I love it when someone ask what I do for a living. I can proudly say;

Blue
[/quote]

Living the dream Blue, living the dream!! 👍👍

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457239051' post='2996618']

Not my thing either,however I would join
a good established wedding band in a heart beat.

Thing is, and we've discussed this before. These opportunities that pay good consistent money are not open to outsiders.

Blue
[/quote]

I joined a good well established band about 4 years ago, I was told about the auditions by a friend, but I had no other connection with the band.

They emailed a list of ten songs and said pick any two, I learned all of them and let them pick the two songs we played, apparently I was the only person auditioning who learned all the songs, seemed obvious to me.

I hit it off with the band, I am also a sound engineer, and I worked as a rigger for years so I had quite a lot of other transferable skills. I would say the ability to play is the most important, but working hard during get-in and get-out is a close second, no one wants to work with a musician who doesn't help with the gear, even if they are amazing.

Edited by EmmettC

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457238512' post='2996616']
Wedding business has always been good for bands. However,even this piece of action has been hit. DJs
[/quote]
Not on my side of the pond. over here a wedding is not a wedding without a live band. When the band finishes up it is becoming more the norm for the band leader to provide a DJ set., so the DJ's are getting frozen out (happy days)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1457240490' post='2996620']
Dan,

Blue
[/quote]
I guess I have been lucky in that my chosen career has and continues to be rewarding in many ways. They guys I play with are lifelong friends that are like family and mean a lot to me, though we insist on getting well paid for the gigs we do. A gig with those guys ticks so many boxes for me
But where is the hate on this thread Blue? ( other than my reservations regarding formal attire :) ). We are all bass players who do what we do for a variety of reasons and so be it. It is normal that one mans meat can be another mans poison.

Edited by leroydiamond

Spot on, Blue. I think some on here may not realise that us function players can also play music that satisfies the soul - I play in an interesting band that makes no (or very little) money when I'm not doing the paid stuff. I just don't do it on Saturday night when the wedding gigs are happening. Re. DJs, I always ask people when they call if they've booked a DJ yet (most weddings, etc. I do have a DJ to finish the night). If they haven't, I suggest they load their music of choice on an iPod or similar and I'll play it through the PA (for an additional fee, of course, but it still costs them less than hiring a DJ). Handy extra earner.