Why become a member? ×

Bass part stand-ins.

spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1455191857' post='2976814']
Prompted by the recent Adam Clayton post (re The Edge playing bass occasionally) who else do we know of who's taken on the regular bass players parts?
Ronnie Wood - bass on Maggie May.
[/quote]

Wasn't Ron(nie) Wood actually a pretty regular bass player?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1455192767' post='2976825']
Mark Plati played Ashes to Ashes in Bowie's live band as Gail Ann Dorsey isn't a fan of slap. Gail played six string instead.
[/quote]

I didn't know that. When I saw them in the late 90s she played it, but maybe there was no one else available.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1455195329' post='2976897']
Dave Gilmour quite often played bass on Floyd recordings.
[/quote]

More often than not, I think. There was a running joke between DG and Roger Waters, who regularly thanked our Dave for getting him in the 'Best Bass Player' chart in Melody Maker.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1455192980' post='2976829']
Didn't Keith Richards play on a few Stones songs? Much to the irritation of the bass player, who's name escapes me
[/quote]

Apparently on a fair few, though from Keefs book Bill Wyman never seemed that bothered - apparently his attitude was, you`ve written the lines, where`s the point of teaching me, just record them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1455222634' post='2977275']

Apparently on a fair few, though from Keefs book Bill Wyman never seemed that bothered - apparently his attitude was, you`ve written the lines, where`s the point of teaching me, just record them.
[/quote]

Ah, I remember reading a story where they'd been in the studio, Wyman had gone off for lunch, came back and found the bass had been recorded and wasn't happy. I could easily have got that wrong though