Why become a member? ×

The Foo Fighters - are they THAT good?

spectoremg

I'm trying out for a covers band tomorrow evening and as I worked my way down the emailed set list I counted four Foo songs. I recounted and yes, there's four of them. That's 13% of a thirty song set. Now I reckon off the top of my head there's a thousand songs a two guitar band could do that would entertain a pub audience (see other threads about hackneyed pub songs, and yes, Sex On Fire's in there) so four from the same band seems excessive.
Also I've never rated them much; they seem to push all the buttons of people who love stadium gigs but don't like music very much.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1446573663' post='2900509']
they seem to push all the buttons of people who love stadium gigs but don't like music very much.
[/quote]

I think you've nailed it, and sort of answered your question. Not great, but poppy enough to make people who don't like music have a band they can call out when asked 'what's your favourite band?'.

I've never loved the album's that much.

I've seen them live twice. The first time supporting the Chilis at Slaine Castle, the second headlining at Hyde Park.

Both times I thought they were brilliant, but when I went back and listened to the album's I still wasn't blown away.

For me, personally, they're a top live band and a better than average (but not outstanding) album one, if that makes any sense.

I don't get their popularity, but I reckon Grohl being a pretty cool bloke has something to with it.

I can listen to any given Foos tune in isolation and enjoy it, but I'd be bored solid if I had to listen to a whole album. Some catchy stuff, but formulaic and samey to me.

they've probably written 4 great songs, that's 3 more than a lot of bands, as for having them all in a set, it depends what audience you're aiming at, we've had up to 8 Clash songs in our set (of about 40 songs), nobody ever said that's too many songs form one artist

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1446577865' post='2900563']
I really want to like them.
Nirvana got me interested in music in the first place, so I love Dave Grohl.
The rest all seem like good people!
I just find the music pretty middle of the road. Can't get into it.
Apart from "Everlong". That's a great song
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same as this.

I like them but don't like to listen to them.

DG is a good showman, on and off stage; he's got quite a bit to say and seems very 'normal'. People like to feel connected with bands don't they, and he seems to be a good connector. I'm sure some of the Foos' popularity comes from this.

I like them; I've got a few albums and saw them at the MK Bowl this year. It was a good gig, and I've been trying to get to see them live for a while now, so it was cool for that reason. Not the best or most dynamic gig I've been to, though I think some of that was down to Dave still being in a cast. Royal Blood, playing support, were as good as the Foos I thought.

Their music is pretty accessible, which will mean that everyone will know or recognise some of their stuff, making it good cover-band set list material I guess.

Personally, I would say they are one of the true greats.

Simple, catchy, formulaic, all key ingredients to draw people in to a song and few do it better.

Only thing I would say is they are in danger of buying their own hype recently, in danger of heading down the U2 route.

No better band to cover if you want to entertain the most people.

You will always get differing views to questions like this, regardless of which band is being talked about. I personally love the Foos and think Dave Grohl is a fantastic chap. Went to see them in Sunderland this year and had a great time, so yes, to me they are THAT good. But I also realise to some people they are not. As for comments about them being for people that don't like music, well your wrong in my case, because I like most forms of music. I enjoy a diverse range of music, including shouty rock for the masses....

Jas

I used to play in a band where the lead guitarist was a massive fan. He had several guitars that were the same as Dave Grohl's (including a 1967 Gibson Trini Lopez). As a result I have all the Foos albums in my iTunes. Surely "good" is in the ear of the beholder, but I reckon each album has one or two tracks I wouldn't mind playing (and a load of others I wouldn't listen to more than a couple of times).

We ended up with several of their songs in our repertoire, but only ever played a maximum of two at each gig.

i never used to like them, then got into them.

i think part of their appeal is that they just seem like genuine guys who are making music because of the fun of it. there is no bullshit buzz words, concept albums or gimmicks like playing Antarctica, they just play.

musical purists will never love them, because they are formulaic stadium rock, but for some of us that's ok. i'd much rather listen to foo fighters than dream theater for example. dave grohl has openly admitted they are not the greatest most technically gifted band in the world, but they just go out to make simple rock music for the fun of it, and that's ok with me. i mean look at their videos... is that a band that takes itself seriously.

dave sets out to make people happy, and he does.

yes a lot of the hype comes from his nirvana days, but that can only last so long. to keep going for more than 20 years and sell out stadiums in minutes, you have to be doing something right.

Edited by RockfordStone