Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine - Column about Basschat

Silvia Bluejay

Just a quick heads-up to the community: I have been asked by BGM editor and fellow BCer Joel McIver to write a monthly column about the most interesting goings-on in Basschat-land. The first, an introduction, will be published in the May issue, out on May 5th.
The idea is to highlight useful, informative topics and follow their developments on Basschat throughout the month, offering BGM's readership our take on bass-related themes, a bit of humour, and quotations from actual posts.
Watch this space :)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1427713401' post='2733254']
Goes without saying.....only from the "good" posters. ;)
[/quote]

Maybe we should have a thread about where they've all gone...

Good job by the way Bluejay. Any chance of it being posted somewhere here?

Edited by leftybassman392

I am not usually a cynical person but is this a way to get more basschat members 'on side' with the magazine.

I used to subscribe to BGM and have so many issues at home in a box, but I found that Basschat, Talkbass, No Treble and Ibass Magazine have rendered it obselete and out of date before it goes to print.

It is no criticism of the magazine directly, they just cant compete with the speed in which news travels on the internet which is a bit unfortunate. Surely feeding information from basschat into the magazine is just going to be duplicating information only they will publish it a month later when we have all moved on to new topics?

If anyone discovers basschat through the articles, surely they will read the forum and from then on, will also have read everything a month before the article is published?

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1427721676' post='2733411']
... and have so many issues at home in a box,

[/quote]

Yes, my analyst recommended that method of dealing with my issues too. :)

And don't call me Shirley.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1427721676' post='2733411']
...have so many issues at home in a box...
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427722448' post='2733423']
...my analyst recommended that method of dealing with my issues too.
[/quote]

I write mine down on pieces of toilet paper and flush them down the bog. Take that, government!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1427724149' post='2733457']
It's good that the forum will get some valuable publicity. Kudos to Bluejay for the time and effort she'll be putting into an exercise which will benefit all of us by extension. :)
[/quote]

^ This in spades.

Good work Sylvia!

Don't know if I'm alone in this, and although it's very unlikely anyone would want to, I'd rather not have any contribution of mine appear in any other place than where I put it.
To my mind BGM has dropped in quality so much that I virtually never purchase it - this would be the last nail in the coffin.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1427724149' post='2733457']
It's good that the forum will get some valuable publicity. Kudos to Bluejay for the time and effort she'll be putting into an exercise which will benefit all of us by extension. :)
[/quote]

My thoughts too.

[quote name='MilkyBarKid' timestamp='1427733977' post='2733628']
To my mind BGM has dropped in quality so much that I virtually never purchase it - this would be the last nail in the coffin.
[/quote]

What, you think if BassChat contributed to BGM, [i]no-one[/i] would buy it at all..? :D

[quote name='MilkyBarKid' timestamp='1427733977' post='2733628']
Don't know if I'm alone in this, and although it's very unlikely anyone would want to, I'd rather not have any contribution of mine appear in any other place than where I put it.
[/quote]

I'm kinda with you. Lazy journalism imho.

So the reality is punters who have to pay for BGM (including myself) to find out what is going on Basschat which is free...?

I'd hope that at least Basschat will benefit financially from this arrangement? Maybe if your Basschat copy is featured in BGM you could get a free advert from Basschat...?

At this rate Joel won't need to write another review, he could just raid Basschat? There's an excellent review of the Sire 5 Jazz here online at the moment...