Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine - Column about Basschat

Silvia Bluejay

It more than just 'lazy journalism', it's approaching cynical. How long until there's an implication that Basschat is BGM's online forum simply by association.

(I bet the column won't feature much of the many 'why I don;t buy BGM anymore' threads.)

I think it would be better, if it must be done, to feature Talkbass and other online communities with full credit to the OP's who in effect are becoming music journalists for others' profit.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1427783761' post='2734089']
It more than just 'lazy journalism', it's approaching cynical. How long until there's an implication that Basschat is BGM's online forum simply by association.

(I bet the column won't feature much of the many 'why I don;t buy BGM anymore' threads.)

I think it would be better, if it must be done, to feature Talkbass and other online communities with full credit to the OP's who in effect are becoming music journalists for others' profit.
[/quote]

Not sure about using members 'copy' for a commercial magazine...
A friend often has photos poached by a 'friend' on FB and they then end up in a
online mag.. and the person who got pulled up for this thinks it is ok because they
credited the photographer.. and therefore thought they didn't need to ask..let alone pay.

One knock on effect is it opens more of a dialogue with BGM, and who knows - maybe some of the perennial BC complaints might cut through.

Be really interesting to see what Sylvia writes, can only be a good thing.

Edited by Drax

I can hardly see that Bluejay will be lifting posts wholesale and stuffing the column full of members' utterings/pics without their agreement. References to 'lazy journalism' are a bit unfair when nothing has even been written yet.
I can't see how this can be anything other than good exposure for BC, and I second Skank's comments. Here is a cake to say 'nice one' :)

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1427794117' post='2734218']
References to 'lazy journalism' are a bit unfair when nothing has even been written yet.
[/quote]

You don't really get the whole pre-judging thing, do you? Where's the fun in waiting to see some results and reaching an informed conclusion?

:rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1427794117' post='2734218']
References to 'lazy journalism' are a bit unfair when nothing has even been written yet.

[/quote]

They haven't been bothered to write anything you mean - how lazy can you get?! ;)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1427711635' post='2733222']I have been asked by BGM editor and fellow BCer Joel McIver to write a monthly column about the most interesting goings-on in Basschat-land.[/quote]

Is this the same Joel McIver who approaching his third anniversary on BC is averaging less than a post a month? The majority of which I would imagine revolve around BGM rather than contributions to discussions?
While I fully appreciate any attempt at upping the BC profile & improving post content quality it doesn't sound like Joel is one who leads from the front.

Sounds more to me like an easy way to fill a gap with very little effort on his part, in a magazine that has been hammered on here, with talk of multiple cancellations of late.

Firstly I'm guessing Bluejay is a sensible person

Secondly I'm guessing the BC heads are informed and will agree to whatever it is Bluejay is going to do

Fourthly therefore we should wait and see what happens before being to cynical

Someone think of a thirdly please

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1427799923' post='2734317']

Secondly I'm guessing the BC heads are informed and will agree to whatever it is Bluejay is going to do

[/quote]

Thirdly I think no one's going to quote a bassist who can't count. :-D

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1427799923' post='2734317']

[/quote]

Thirdly, cake.

I can see both sides of the debate. However, IMO going by the "Introductions" forum, BC seems to have a steady influx of new members on a daily basis. Which leads me to question the notion that the forum needs extra promotion from the likes of BG magazine. I only ever bought three issues and found the content was not worth the price. IMO, the magazine has more to gain from this new arrangement than BC.