Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1427104591' post='2725691']
Reading the names in this thread of posters gone and temporarily forgotten by me just makes me really f***ing sad. Another for the list: TheFunk, who appears to have been redacted entirely.

Now we're just left with idiots like me and TimR. I'm surprised we made it this long.
[/quote]

People come and go. I think the 'problem' if there is one is that there are some posters who will happily take people to task over things they write that are clearly wrong. I'm not talking about a difference of opinion, I'm talking about when rigorously tested facts are completely ignored because it doesn't fit into the way they'd like things to be. There are others watching who agree but tend to stay out of the debate for one reason or another.

I tend not to argue based on my opinions, I recognise they're opinions, that's why we steer clear of religious and political debate. There's also been a big clampdown on those type of threads where a lot of the absent posters used to start debate. So maybe they've just drifted off to have those debates elsewhere. There's only so much bass stuff you can talk about.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1427101027' post='2725648']
The problem with the written word is that you don't always get the emotion or subtext that the writer intended and can easily superimpose your own emotional state into what has been written.

I was accused of being 'patronising' the other day. How on earth can you write in a patronising way?

[/quote]

Patronise is a verb, a 'doing' word. It means 'to treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority'.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1427106962' post='2725726']
so who are the highest posting members (not mods) now? I see Happy Jack's at 7,824 - that must be [b]top four[/b]?!
I'm trying to get into the playoffs for division 2.
[/quote]

I'm only 7204.

Although the search shows 2400+.

Looking at that list there are only a few missing. I don't think it's as bad as it looks.

Edited by TimR

Funny to read this...I'm not one of the regular posters but I still enjoy reading here from time to time (it's good for my English :-))
The fact that people have the perception things have "changed" is striking since on the Dutch bass-forum (where I go to a lot) the same arguements as here appear (people disappear, heavy discussions which get really personal, etc..)
Apparently it's not restricted to bass-chat but something which pops up everywhere more and more people get together

Edit : I suddenly see that I am a Very Advanced Member, wow ! :-)

Edited by wombatboter

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1427107891' post='2725740']

Patronise is a verb, a 'doing' word. It means 'to treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority'.
[/quote]

Well I certainly don't feel superior to anyone. As I say I think it's all in the eye of the beholder and I can't be responsible for the way people wish to perceive things in what I have written that aren't meant.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1427108535' post='2725753']
Funny to read this...I'm not one of the regular posters but I still enjoy reading here from time to time (it's good for my English :-))
The fact that people have the perception things have "changed" is striking since on the Dutch bass-forum (where I go to a lot) the same arguements as here appear (people disappear, heavy discussions which get really personal, etc..)
Apparently it's not restricted to bass-chat but something which pops up everywhere more and more people get together

Edit : I suddenly see that I am a Very Advanced Member, wow ! :-)
[/quote]

Yes. Apparently there is a well known cycle that forums go through. I've not even heard of some of the people in that list and I've been here a few years.

so who are the highest posting members (not mods) now? I see Happy Jack's at 7,824 - that must be [b]top four[/b]?!
I'm trying to get into the playoffs for division 2.
[/quote]

Well according to the list of top posters I am in 190th place, so a way to go for me yet...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1427068294' post='2725517']
I had some time out.

When I came back I excluded Off Topic.

I should have done that years ago.
[/quote]

Although I didn't take time out, I gave up on Off Topic (apart from the F1 thread) a couple of years ago. There's still too much for me to read.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1427067921' post='2725512']
I used to post a lot more than i do now. I browse at least once a day usually, but i don't see much that i think is worth commenting on. Wouldn't surprise me if there were many others in the same boat.

Liam
[/quote]

Yarp,
Also playing guitar again now, not touched a bass in anger for 9 months.
Also actually busy at work nowadays, so less time to dick about on here,

and typing stuff takes ages, who has time for that?

[/quote]

Not really fair to exclude Mods from that, Ted. They're members too and they have a huge influence on the feel of the forum.

On that list I seem to be at No.20, but Dood's only on it because he cheated and awarded himself eight million posts. Of the 18 names genuinely above me on that list, I am aware of seven who are no longer on Basschat. Doesn't sound too bad until you realise that four of them have gone within the last two months.

I haven't bothered to look at the next 20 or the 20 below that. I'm sure others will do so.

If you choose to exclude the Mods after all (your choice, not mine) that only makes it worse.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1427054071' post='2725206']
Quite agree there Skank, Blues posts are mostly thought inducing, rather than provoking, and get a wide range of responses.
[/quote]

I, too agree. Blue is a valuable contributor and I enjoy his topics.

Internet forums change and evolve. It is in their nature. Anyone who expects otherwise is foolish and naive.

Also I haven't noticed any increase anger in the posts. Maybe it's limited to threads that I don't look at because the title is of no interest to me? Maybe it's all in Off-Topic where I rarely venture and even more rarely post. TBH I don't really see any of the criticisms mention earlier in this thread...

I think in some ways it's in a lot of people's nature to want things to stay the same for ever. That's really not a good thing. And especially so on an internet forum where people rarely actually meet in real life. A long time ago I use to be an active member on the forum run by a magazine devoted to the Apple Macintosh Computer. It was a thriving on-line community which contained an active group of graphics professionals (among others) and a useful source of advice and information for people like me working in graphic design for print. When the magazine decided to close the forums, a group of the regulars decided to start up their own forum to continue on the community. Unfortunately this was hidden away behind an anonymous name and URL, and has attracted hardly any new members since it started about 10 years ago, and now has a fraction of the daily post count it used to have. Most of the people I used to regularly exchange views and information with have stopped posting and there is little of value for me there anymore.

Without new blood that's what Basschat could easily become.

[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Ok, membership around 32k, most of whom are inactive so some reports would typically say that 75% of a site content comes from less than 10% of active members..??[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]so I'd say that looking at the post count of missing members is possibly significant . Not really wishing to stir anything up so much as i'd be pretty concerned about key or worthwhile posters going missing in such a short space of time. It doesn't matter so much what opinions they have as long as they have them and post, IMO..in a reasonable way.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]It is the lifeblood of a forum.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427118526' post='2725919']
[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Ok, membership around 32k, most of whom are inactive so some reports would typically say that 75% of a site content comes from less than 10% of active members..??[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]so I'd say that looking at the post count of missing members is possibly significant . Not really wishing to stir anything up so much as i'd be pretty concerned about key or worthwhile posters going missing in such a short space of time. It doesn't matter so much what opinions they have as long as they have them and post, IMO..in a reasonable way.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]It is the lifeblood of a forum.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

It depends on how much they're creating and how much they're just answering questions that someone else would have answered. Many times I've gone to answer something only to find it's already been answered by a prolific poster.

Gaps open and are filled by new people. That's evolution.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1427054644' post='2725217']
What winds me up is when Basschatters post that they are leaving, and there is a huge outpouring of grief and being told to stay as the place wouldnt be the same without them.
You come you go end of.
There was another one this afternoon who said he was going. Ok bye, life goes on. <_<
[/quote] Agreed the forum will still go on OK a few long term members have left but at the end of the day it really does not matter and will all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1427120440' post='2725941']
Gaps open and are filled by new people. That's evolution.
[/quote]

^ This. Members have always come and gone on every forum I’ve belonged to.

There’ll always been an ‘old guard’ of people who’ve been around for some time. And there’ll always be a steady influx of new blood - well, at least for as long as the forum is functioning and providing something of interest to its membership.

[i]So the question is really, how long can bass players keep talking about basses for?[/i]

My guess would be a frickin’ long time indeed :D

More’s the point… the forum needs more younger members to replace those of us who are spreading into middle age and beyond. That’s more of an issue for the forum’s longevity than whether the old guard hang around long enough to keep it going, IMO. Otherwise the forum is basing it's modus operandi on that of an old people's home. And personally, I'm [i]not[/i] volunteering for chamberpot duty. No siree.

I have been dipping my toe in and out of Basschat since 2009 ish. I didn't really get involved for a couple of those years as IMO it seemed quite cliquey (it's nowhere near as bad now). I don't think it has changed much to be honest in the 6 years since I joined. One thing I will say is I do find it quite an aggressive forum nowadays, hence why I pick and choose what I will comment on carefully. It's got very finicky and people will take any opportunity to pull you up on anything and it is almost like a pointscoring thing. HOWEVER there are some truely wonderful, helpful guys and gals on here and it's still the best musical related forum on the web I think :)

Edited by 40hz

There are folk we do miss, There are folk here we will miss when they go. Years ago I was handing in my notice at my first job, I go to asking who will do this task and that, like I was worried how they would manage. I was given a poem. This poem could easily be a message for any prolific poster who feels this place won't manage without them:

The Indispensable Man

(by Saxon White Kessinger)

Sometime when you're feeling important;
Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You're the best qualified in the room:
Sometime when you feel that your going,
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow these simple instructions,
And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.

The moral of this quaint example,
Is to do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There's no indispensable man.

(Except Blue, of course, and er Bluejay and Discreet and... )

Edited by Grangur