Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

What winds me up is when Basschatters post that they are leaving, and there is a huge outpouring of grief and being told to stay as the place wouldnt be the same without them.
You come you go end of.
There was another one this afternoon who said he was going. Ok bye, life goes on. <_<

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1427054461' post='2725216']
I still come on here daily, but the place certainly has been changing... the biggest thing ive noticed is how things turn very quickly into arguments... there seems to be a lot less tolerance for other peoples opinions, and i think that probably gets peoples backs up
[/quote]

Ok, we are nearly at the bottom of the 2nd page so I've not been too quick to say this.......outside...now!!!! LOL

Aye I hear what you're saying about arguments. Keyboard Heros to coin a phrase I like to use. On the topic of Mods, I had a wee run on with them a couple of months ago. All got sorted through PM's though.
What some people find hard is to find that others don't have the same idea as them...then they get upset about it.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1427054644' post='2725217']
What winds me up is when Basschatters post that they are leaving, and there is a huge outpouring of grief and being told to stay as the place wouldnt be the same without them.
You come you go end of.
There was another one this afternoon who said he was going. Ok bye, life goes on. <_<
[/quote]
This sort of post really wind me up....I have had enough and am now leaving.

Don't even think about trying to stop me. I mean it. Don't try it.

I mean it.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1427054644' post='2725217']
You come you go end of.
[/quote]
I think you're right.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1427054875' post='2725221']

I mean it.
[/quote]

See they're dropping like flies.....

Life has a habbit of changing, We grow, priorities change, we move on. Commitment is something we give if we have the time. Good leadership provides a sound platform on which to build. Without change there would be no progress. The more people involved gives us a greater diversity of opinions and thus conflict may ensue. This should be embraced as without conflict there would be fewer dicussions.
Basschat is a wonderful site, many poeple give there time to share their experiences and knowledge with the community. They are very much appreciated especially by myself. I do not post as often as some but reading the threads has tought me many things which I would never have thought to ask.
Thank you to all of you

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1427055186' post='2725228']
Life has a habbit of changing, We grow, priorities change, we move on. Commitment is something we give if we have the time. Good leadership provides a sound platform on which to build. Without change there would be no progress. The more people involved gives us a greater diversity of opinions and thus conflict may ensue. This should be embraced as without conflict there would be fewer dicussions.
Basschat is a wonderful site, many poeple give there time to share their experiences and knowledge with the community. They are very much appreciated especially by myself. I do not post as often as some but reading the threads has tought me many things which I would never have thought to ask.
Thank you to all of you
[/quote]
This is a really great post.

I have now decided to stay.

[quote name='jonunders' timestamp='1427055186' post='2725228']
Thank you to all of you
[/quote]

I like this ^^^

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1427054875' post='2725221']

I mean it.
[/quote]
Don't try to stop me! I mean it, don't try to stop me! Don't try to stop me! Stop me! Stop me!

Edit: I'm going to add the whole exchange because it's brilliant...

[i]Captain James Hook: [holding a pistol to his head] No stopping me this time, Smee. This is it. Don't make a move Smee, not a step. My finger's on the trigger. Don't try to stop me, Smee.
Smee: Oh, not again.
Captain James Hook: This is it. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't you dare try to stop me this time, Smee, try to stop me. Smee, you'd better get up off your ass. Get over here, Smee!
Smee: I'm coming. I'm coming.
Captain James Hook: Stop me! This is not a joke! I'm committing suicide!
[Smee triggers the gun away from Hook's head, sinking the model ship in the pool]
Captain James Hook: Don't ever frighten me like that again.
Smee: I'm sorry.
Captain James Hook: What are you, some kind of a sadist?
Smee: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. How do you feel now?
Captain James Hook: [sighs] I want to die.
Smee: Oh, now, now.[/i]

And entirely relevant.

Edited by KingBollock

It is somewhat odd that the forum is being portrayed as a bear pit of bad temper and arguments on the one hand and then tBBC always crops up as some marker of the halcyon days of basschat. Troll doesn't even come close, i don't share others nostalgia for his continuous offencive posts.

Several of the old guard who have 'left' were as ready as anyone to engage in a rigorous debate...what it seems now is critisised as being argumentative.

There's always been big bust ups on basschat...usually in the early hours of the morning.

And one has to ask one's self, how many times can one discuss the pros and cons of flats over rounds

I get into a few scrapes with members on here Well, not that many. A lot of it is that i am not the most articulate of people. I usually send a message of apology, which is accepted. Sometimes the written word is hard to understand and give emotion to.
I enjoy it here. The majority of people on here are helpful and very nice.Even the Rickenbacker topic was a source of amusement. I hope to get to a few more BC meetings. I wish more people would spend more time in the help section as questions can go unanswered for hours, and the most innocuous things in Off Topic are instantly answered. There are a couple of people on here that i miss .

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1427055820' post='2725243']
Phew!! That was close!
[/quote]
I do however reserve the right to change my mind and threaten to leave at any time - and if i do then would I warn you not to even attempt to change my mind and force me to stay...or I will leave.

I mean it.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1427055700' post='2725241']
It is somewhat odd that the forum is being portrayed as a bear pit of bad temper and arguments on the one hand and then tBBC always crops up as some marker of the halcyon days of basschat. Troll doesn't even come close, i don't share others nostalgia for his continuous offencive posts.

Several of the old guard who have 'left' were as ready as anyone to engage in a rigorous debate...what it seems now is critisised as being argumentative.

There's always been big bust ups on basschat...usually in the early hours of the morning.

And one has to ask one's self, how many times can one discuss the pros and cons of flats over rounds
[/quote]

No me neither re Tbbc. Can't recall a single post of his that made me smile. There have been plenty of others of the old guard that I either had rigorous debates with or followed their heated discussions that never descended into an argument or insults which no longer seems the way of things in ot these days. Oh and it's rounds everytime, except on a fretless.

Through buying and selling basses I've met (in person) some very nice guys on here, and have had almost without exception very pleasant and well mannered discussions on the forum and via PM.

I haven't really noticed this 'winds of change' thing but maybe I don't read the right threads. Some of the OT threads go a bit awol and there was some poster in a Rick' thread making a bit of ridiculous scene - the typical kind of raging over-opinionated poster you can get on Gearslutz...(for example) However i don't understand this 'I'm leaving' thing that a few people seem to think they need to announce. It's not a party. Or is it? ;)

I think everything will be ok and will work out fine...unless Discreet and his 15 million or so posts leaves :D

I was bored the other day and had a look on the "Show us your rig" thread. I went right to the begining and there are people there who were here at the start and have legged it for some reason or other and I have never heard of them and I joined earlish 08.

The guy whose input I miss is Out to play jazz. He still posts on Talkbass and is no doubt missed by others. But people come and go, such is life.

Edited by jezzaboy

Lets see if I can cover some of these points without crossing the confidentiality line.

The list of 'missing posters' I keep seeing contains hardly any 'banned' members.
They are, with a couple of exceptions, simply members who have decided to move on and are welcome to return any time they like - they're not banned and their accounts are still working.

As for 'banning', the vast majority of posters [b]never[/b] need warning.
It takes a real concerted effort to get banned here and, with the number of clear warnings along the way, claims of 'surprise', 'shock' and 'horror' when it happens can best be described as a little disingenuous.

Mods 'saying nothing' about moderated members has always been the standard here.
A private conversation between a moderated member and one, or more, mods will always be treated as confidential.

On the subject of 'aggressive' posts in OT, it's almost a cyclical thing.
OT becomes a testosterone powered cesspit and it leaves the Mods in a lovely position where if we do nothing... we get slated, and if we do something... we get slated.
So we have to strike a balance and put up with the criticism until it settles down again, usually when the weather gets warmer.
Personally, I blame tight fitting underwear. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427047241' post='2725062']
My point, I'm afraid.

Basschat was created by a particular bunch of people. Whether or not they (we) intended it, that bunch gave this place its ethos.

Those people are going, and those who are left don't even know who they were!

When all that's left is (relative) newbies and foreign posters with three posts trying to sell Foderas, you may wonder why it's gone so quiet.
[/quote]

Yes I agree, they come over here, [s]steal our women [/s] steal our money and leave us with worthless Basses...

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427060669' post='2725352']

Personally, I blame tight fitting underwear. :)
[/quote]

I concur, I'm sat here naked and I feel as chilled as a mofo.

BTW the Rick gang didn't want to fight so I'm back here, turn out the rumours are just rumours.