Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427060669' post='2725352']
As for 'banning', the vast majority of posters [b]never[/b] need warning.
It takes a real concerted effort to get banned here and, with the number of clear warnings along the way, claims of 'surprise', 'shock' and 'horror' when it happens can best be described as a little disingenuous.
[/quote]

Ha ha. I got banned for calling someone a moron. I got one warning before that, for posting "aggressively" though I was never told what in particular I posted.

It took a more of concerted effort to stick to "moron" to be honest. ;)

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1427129451' post='2726160']
Ha ha. I got banned for calling someone a moron. I got one warning before that, for posting "aggressively" though I was never told what in particular I posted.

It took a more of concerted effort to stick to "moron" to be honest. ;)
[/quote]

I didn't know that, but it was about four years ago.
You're still here, it's never been mentioned since and that's great. :)

In fact I think I'm still banned from some sections of the forum. I did remind someone about that sometime back, but was met with a reply akin to the chastisement a naughty child.

Not really my bag. Don't really post much anymore. Only came back on here recently as I'm on the look out for a fretless neck.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1427132217' post='2726208']
In fact I think I'm still banned from some sections of the forum. I did remind someone about that sometime back, but was met with a reply akin to the chastisement a naughty child.

Not really my bag. Don't really post much anymore.........[/quote]

You too huh? I mostly now only post if I have past experience of an issue that I can help with, other than that I have the PMs from three of them (edit: Admins) that all slag each other off to various extents, and slag a member who they had a low opinion of but did nothing about.

To be fair to Ian he did his level best to resolve things but to no avail. I bookmarked the admin in question's band site so that if the chance arises he'll have the chance to say what he said to my face.

Edited by Big_Stu

No doubt this will be seen as an "argumentative" comment by some but the idea that this place is particularly aggressive strikes me as quite amusing. I can only imagine that the people who have that impression aren't on too many other forums? This place is incredibly friendly in comparison to almost anywhere else online!

As for the regulars leaving, I've been away on holiday so no idea who we're talking about but it always happens on every forum I've ever been on (quite a few now). There's only so long you can discuss the same topics with the same people. Priorities change, lifestyles change. I myself have grown tired of forums and left them after thousands of posts and years of membership. Let's face it, all of us have drifted away from real life friends so why would Internet friends be any different?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1427133830' post='2726237']
No doubt this will be seen as an "argumentative" comment by some but the idea that this place is particularly aggressive strikes me as quite amusing. I can only imagine that the people who have that impression aren't on too many other forums? This place is incredibly friendly in comparison to almost anywhere else online!

[/quote]

Yep. I've seen more aggression in a busy tea-rooms. :gas:

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1427134166' post='2726245']

[/quote]

Quite. On one forum I said something that upset a feminist guardian reader. I still have no idea what I said that upset her but she marked my cards and then kept up her aggressive posts towards me on countless other threads.

It was quite amusing.

Well, I thought so.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1427134166' post='2726245']

[/quote]

Yes, don't get me started with people who dunk biscuits, or, worse still, put the cream on their scone first, before the jam. Dirty ba***ards. Who wants to sit next to that whilst they are trying to have a civilised cup of Darjeeling and a fondant fancy?

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1427136493' post='2726290']
Yes, don't get me started with people who dunk biscuits, or, worse still, put the cream on their scone first, before the jam. Dirty ba***ards. Who wants to sit next to that whilst they are trying to have a civilised cup of Darjeeling and a fondant fancy?
[/quote]

Quite.

It's a bit annoying when seasoned members criticise someone for posting about something that may have been talked about many times in the past. Short of trawling through every thread to check, how are newer members to know, it's been talked about?

Forums need new blood and if someone wants to ask which strings you prefer, I will partake in that discussion because they are looking for feedback. I'm not going to tell them to go and look at such and such a thread because it's all been done before.

Let's have more understanding that not everyone knows what's been posted before :)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427137168' post='2726310']
It's a bit annoying when seasoned members criticise someone for posting about something that may have been talked about many times in the past. Short of trawling through every thread to check, how are newer members to know, it's been talked about?

Forums need new blood and if someone wants to ask which strings you prefer, I will partake in that discussion because they are looking for feedback. I'm not going to tell them to go and look at such and such a thread because it's all been done before.

Let's have more understanding that not everyone knows what's been posted before :)
[/quote]

I quite agree! No need for anyone to wade in and point out that a thread on a particular subject was started by Bassfart in 2009.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1427137143' post='2726308']
I like to cut the scone in half, then spread jam before cream on one half and cream before jam on the other, people just can't cope with that.
[/quote]

I think you're being unduly provocative, please stop now.

:)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1427137792' post='2726324']

I quite agree! No need for anyone to wade in and point out that a thread on a particular subject was started by Bassfart in 2009.
[/quote]

I think that's another example of odd language.

How can you wade in to a forum discussion?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1427137792' post='2726324']
[/quote]

I remember bassfart. Outstanding forum member brought low by a tendency for posting 'Google it, ffs, you f***ing f***!' if ever a newb asked about string gauges.

Now over on Finnbass where he heads up a cadre of BC émigrés currently plotting a 'Bay Of Pigs' style counter-revolution. Apparently fanatical hordes of disaffected bassists will swarm into navy-surplus landing craft and putter their way ashore, only to be mown down in a hail of sarcasm.

They don't know about the last bit, of course. That's not in the plan.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1427139802' post='2726369']

I remember bassfart. Outstanding forum member brought low by a tendency for posting 'Google it, ffs, you f***ing f***!' if ever a newb asked about string gauges.

Now over on Finnbass where he heads up a cadre of BC émigrés currently plotting a 'Bay Of Pigs' style counter-revolution. Apparently fanatical hordes of disaffected bassists will swarm into navy-surplus landing craft and putter their way ashore, only to be mown down in a hail of sarcasm.

They don't know about the last bit, of course. That's not in the plan.
[/quote]

PMSL :-)

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1427137143' post='2726308']
I like to cut the scone in half, then spread jam before cream on one half and cream before jam on the other, people just can't cope with that.
[/quote]

people in Devon can't cope with those Cornish ways

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1427139802' post='2726369']
Apparently fanatical hordes of disaffected bassists will swarm into navy-surplus landing craft and putter their way ashore, only to be mown down in a hail of sarcasm.
[/quote]

:D