Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

For me, it's a shame WPD has gone. He could be a touch abrasive if you took it the wrong way, but on many occasions he came across as having a heart of gold.
IF he should have been banned, it should have been for his photo in speedos :o

There are more antagonistic folk here than him, but that's just my opinion. Guess most of us can be a pita at times.

Mods, thankless task, all of the people all of the time.

I'm still quite a newbie, yet I mod. I chose to apply because I like the forum.

I have handed out next to no warnings and do very little active modding on a day to day basis. That is in no way to say the team are not busy, some of us work their fingers to the bone on here, and let's not forget completely unpaid and in the very definition of unsociable hours.

The forum generally self moderates incredibly well, in fact, and I hope the mod team don't mind me saying this, we say on an almost daily basis when discussing things that the goal is for problems to work themselves out, that shows this is a healthy community and you would be shocked how often they do.

If we are being honest we in the mod team also fall out with each other, I had a blazing row with another mod a few months ago, 24 hours later apologies were made and it was sorted. This is an active community, differences of opinion happen and normally they are worked out between the members.

I know some of you may just think I am toeing a party line (another politician reference!) but honestly, there is no secret handshake, no web of lies. We have open and accessible documents that break down the terms and rules of the site. We do this because we love BC, and at times it is a thankless task, but not most of the time, most of the time it is rewarding and enjoyable. I barely play bass anymore and yet still log on almost daily.

That's just my 2 pennies worth.

If people ever want to ask questions then PM one of us, we talk about EVERY suggestion, every complaint and every message we get.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1427212930' post='2727293']
Er, the mods are! You can't on the one hand say, "We couldn't possibly tell you why we banned someone" and on the other hand imply that they are lying with their side of the story, it just makes you look like a politician (sorry, that was the worst thing I could think of!).
[/quote]

Whether you think I'm being a politician or not, the truth is what is happening. Regardless of an individual mod's feeling, the rule is we don't openly discuss moderating decisions. Any banned member is free to post whatever they like on other social media. It may or may not be the truth, or it may be a version of the truth from one particular angle. I'm not implying that WPD is lying, but I am saying that you are not getting the whole of the story and its history from an unbiased source

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1427213886' post='2727318']
I'm on several FB groups. You have an admin who can delete stuff and PM people but the big difference is there are a lot of meet ups and everyone uses their real name.

Here there are many people I'm unlikely to ever meet and if I did I would meet them under their real name, not an alias.

Do away with forum aliases and make avatar a photo I your face and a lot of the animosity (if there is that much) would disappear overnight.
[/quote]

If you think that Facebook members are all using their really names and the photos are of themselves then I'm afraid you sadly mistaken. There is nothing stopping anyone starting a Facebook account using any name and and image they choose.

If Basschat decided that your user name had to be your real name and your avatar had to be your photo how could they tell that the information you has supplied was real?

Besides in a community where a great number of the members are easily identifiable through the bands they perform in, having a silly user name and avatar doesn't afford much anonymity.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1427214896' post='2727350']
As a side note, this always amuses me, we're not idiots - despite what you may think:

[/quote]

Dont think that proves anything, if I log in at work, my damn lappy never remembers my login details and I won't bother re-entering them unless I have something to say, so there is a good chance one of those 'guests' for example, was me.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427213826' post='2727315']

The trick to FB is to be careful what info you publish as with all these online things... knowledge is power and has value, IMO..
[/quote]

And never forget - the Internet is for ever.

Just because you've forgotten, or want to forget, something you posted (in haste, in anger, in drink, whatever) doesn't make it go away.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427218673' post='2727446']

If you think that Facebook members are all using their really names and the photos are of themselves then I'm afraid you sadly mistaken. There is nothing stopping anyone starting a Facebook account using any name and and image they choose.

If Basschat decided that your user name had to be your real name and your avatar had to be your photo how could they tell that the information you has supplied was real?

Besides in a community where a great number of the members are easily identifiable through the bands they perform in, having a silly user name and avatar doesn't afford much anonymity.
[/quote]

Nope. I've met pretty much everyone in my groups and friends. And they are all who they say they are.

People are free to come and go as they please here there are rules to be obeyed in every walk of life it does not matter if we like them or not that is how it is and there would just be anarchy if not for those rules.

And at the risk of getting my head blown off just cos some one had loads of posts does not make them good posts, and as I said before the forum will still run without them, the only way it would not is if every BC member left and the site was not worth running, I do agree with the mod team about not having to explain why and I think most of the mods do a great job OK there is a couple of clowns IMO but in the whole I think they do a great job.

And at the end of the day if people want to act like they are 5 years old and boycott the site it is up to them, hell a few things have got on my wick but I just take a step back I never feel the need to post "Hey I am leaving" besides the leavers will be back or watching in the shadows lol

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1427182141' post='2726718']

What!!! You mean all these years I've been...?

Right!

That's It!

I'm off!

And don't try to tempt me back!

If anybody wants me I'll be in my trailer not taking any calls!

*Flouncity flouncity flounce* ([i]noises of stomping, harrumphing, tutting, etc. followed by brief pause[/i])...

I'm going out for a short walk now. I may be some time... ([i]sound of failed attempt to slam a non-slam door followed by continued but rapidly receding sounds of stomping feet and further harrumphing, tutting, etc.[/i])
[/quote]

Is this the part where you storm over to the door, open it realise it's a cupboard close it and then flounce out of the other one ?

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1427220766' post='2727508']

And at the end of the day if people want to act like they are 5 years old and boycott the site it is up to them, hell a few things have got on my wick but I just take a step back I never feel the need to post "Hey I am leaving" besides the leavers will be back or watching in the shadows lol
[/quote]

OK here's a 5 year old who has "left" twice and watched from the shadows.

The reasons that made me spit out my dummy have nothing to do with the WPD epic but were caused by two antagonistic members who did not / would not see further than the ends of their noses in any discussion.

I actually met one in real life and he came across to me as being as arrogant and cutting as he did with some of his OT topics and posts on here.

Rather than ignore him and his views I argued, got nowhere, was wound up and publicly stated that I was off.

This individual has also b8ggerd off. :D

So I am now sitting back, watching and keeping quiet.

I will keep well clear of OT, I will not post anything that [u][b] I [/b][/u]think of being humorous and stick to commenting with what I know to be fact.

The mods decisions and actions on this issue, IMV, have been spot on. Rules is Rules.

To the rest of you, thanks for the info and fun so far.

I'm still here sucking my thumb. :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427212405' post='2727279']
I've been here since May 2007 and on bassworld before that for about 2 years and I've always been uninteresting and worthless.
[/quote]

About the same time for me and I fit that description too. In fact in the real world whether playing bass or all the non important stuff like work marriage and parenthood I can only aspire towards being adequate.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1427222777' post='2727547']
Is this the part where you storm over to the door, open it realise it's a cupboard close it and then flounce out of the other one ?
[/quote]

Could be. Certainly a possible scenario. What I actually had in mind was a spring-loaded hydraulic piston (I'm sure they have a name but I can't remember what it is) over the top of the door that prevents - in fact is designed specifically to prevent - the door closing too quickly, thus rendering any attempt to slam it completely futile. Come to think of it, I should probably have factored in some kicking noises associated with the failed slamming attempts. :D

I'm far from a prolific poster but I have been around for a long time both here & bassworld & it has changed over the years mostly due to membership numbers I feel.
In the early days it was like living in a village where everyone spoke to each other & now it's like living in a city where there are lots of little communities.
There are & always have been posters who grind my gears but that's the way forums are.
Take from basschat what can, there's still loads of knowledge & experience here & the mood changes frequently.
I did enjoy reading posts off the likes of drdave but I definitely won't miss Nigel & his trolling & wpd seemed a genuine guy although some of his posts were questionable. I certainly won't be questioning the mods decisions.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427210782' post='2727233']
I probably know a lot more than i actually realise, just no confidence on giving advice.
I know i will never make the mistake of taking a music stand to a gig, and playing a Rickenbacker. When i am famous, i know the rider will contain a selection of cheeses, Kettle Chips, and Abbey Crunch. I guess there isn`t a lot more i need to know.
[/quote]

:-)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427217502' post='2727428']
Whether you think I'm being a politician or not, the truth is what is happening. Regardless of an individual mod's feeling, the rule is we don't openly discuss moderating decisions. Any banned member is free to post whatever they like on other social media. It may or may not be the truth, or it may be a version of the truth from one particular angle. I'm not implying that WPD is lying, but I am saying that you are not getting the whole of the story and its history from an unbiased source
[/quote]

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "The truth is what is happening" - could you clarify that for me please?
If you are are saying that WPD is not giving the whole of the story and is telling it in a biased way then it rather appears that you ARE implying he's lying.
Sorry, really not trying to be arsey but I don't get the difference between 'not the whole truth' and lying.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1427222910' post='2727550']

The reasons that made me spit out my dummy have nothing to do with the WPD epic but were caused by two antagonistic members who did not / would not see further than the ends of their noses in any discussion.

I actually met one in real life and he came across to me as being as arrogant and cutting as he did with some of his OT topics and posts on here.

Rather than ignore him and his views I argued, got nowhere, was wound up and publicly stated that I was off.

So I am now sitting back, watching and keeping quiet.

I will keep well clear of OT, I will not post anything that [u][b] I [/b][/u]think of being humorous and stick to commenting with what I know to be fact.

[/quote]

That's a real shame. OT isn't that bad. At least I don't think it is. We all seem to get on quite well from what I can see. There's the odd strange comment and disagreement but don't think there's any lasting feuds going on. :D

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1427230856' post='2727742']
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "The truth is what is happening" - could you clarify that for me please?
If you are are saying that WPD is not giving the whole of the story and is telling it in a biased way then it rather appears that you ARE implying he's lying.
Sorry, really not trying to be arsey but I don't get the difference between 'not the whole truth' and lying.
[/quote]

There's two sides to every story and neither side is perfectly blameless but that's the end of it. I don't know what you're hearing from elsewhere but we have enforced the rules as we set them and the end result was he used up his warnings, despite being 100% awesome to some members which is a shame but there we go.

No more discussion about the banning please as the decision is final not up for debate.

Please PM me if you would like to chat about it but talking about it here is neither fair on my team of volunteer mods or the member in question.

Cheers