Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427207654' post='2727157'] I don't use FB and never will. I will always use for a like BC. B) [/quote] Personally I've never signed up to FB or Twitter either but I'm aware that millions have and it's obvious that there is a platform right there for doing all the stuff that established current sites like this and lots of others for a whole range of interets serve. I bet they are a pain to moderate though, almost 'ungovernable' I'd have thought. As I'm not on either I'm not even sure how they are administered, bans dished out etc - anyone?

Edited by KevB

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1427190424' post='2726817']
However, if the mods had acted reasonably in banning a member, there would be no need to be so secretive about it. Some people might conclude that they have something to hide.
[/quote]

But who decides if the mods have acted "reasonably" as you put it, you? the friends of the person being banned? The people who can't stand the person being banned? No matter what decision a mod makes some will agree with it & some won't, other won't give a toss either way.

At the end of the day it's no-ones business apart from the mods & the member involved.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427207946' post='2727167']
Personally I've never signed up to FB or Twitter either but I'm aware that millions have and it's obvious that there is a platform right there for doing all the stuff that established current sites like this and lots of others for a whole range of interets serve.
[/quote]

Next up ... Mumsnet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Much as we would like it otherwise, people just like to gawp at a car crash. Visual news media reporting in recent years has hoodwinked us into thinking it's ok to do so, and that it's also ok to chirp about it when we're told we can't.

I'm with the mods on this one - it's none of anybody's business but the team and the individual involved.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427207769' post='2727161']
As for the best posters,personally i believe they are the ones on the technical advice, and helping people out with issues they have. I am a beginner, so i rarely post in technical, only questions. Some maybe a bit tiresome for some, but i always get help, and i have also got quite a bit of help via PM, which i am grateful. I am getting better at playing, and theory, so perhaps i will be able to be a better poster in the help front in the ffuture.
[/quote]

Asking questions educates us and, once [b]you[/b] know the answer, you can help someone else out with their question in turn.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd happily wager that you know far more about bass 'stuff' today than you did when you joined two years ago. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427210388' post='2727228']
Asking questions educates us and, once [b]you[/b] know the answer, you can help someone else out with their question in turn.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd happily wager that you know far more about bass 'stuff' today than you did when you joined two years ago. :)
[/quote]I probably know a lot more than i actually realise, just no confidence on giving advice.
I know i will never make the mistake of taking a music stand to a gig, and playing a Rickenbacker. When i am famous, i know the rider will contain a selection of cheeses, Kettle Chips, and Abbey Crunch. I guess there isn`t a lot more i need to know.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1427210388' post='2727228']

[/quote]

Nice one !

I too, was a bit put out by the title of this thread. It certainly reads like we, the ones that are left are uninteresting and worthless. I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, but maybe more thought should have been given before posting.
If a seasoned veteran wants to leave then let them, it don't change my life and just because someone is a newbie, doesn't mean they are automatically a beginner who knows nothing about bass or who has nothing of interest to say.
I myself only joined recently, but I've been playing for upwards of 35 years!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427211195' post='2727243']
I too, was a bit put out by the title of this thread. It certainly reads like we, the ones that are left are uninteresting and worthless.[/quote]

I read it that way too... <_<

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427210782' post='2727233']
I probably know a lot more than i actually realise, just no confidence on giving advice.
[/quote]

It's perhaps a little bit like playing a first gig.
By the time you've done 50 you wonder what on earth you were worried about. :)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427210782' post='2727233']
I know i will never make the mistake of taking a music stand to a gig, and playing a Rickenbacker. When i am famous, i know the rider will contain a selection of cheeses, Kettle Chips, and Abbey Crunch. I guess there isn`t a lot more i need to know.
[/quote]

That just about sums it up. :D

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427212405' post='2727279']
I've been here since May 2007 and on bassworld before that for about 2 years and I've always been uninteresting and worthless.
[/quote]

No you haven't mate :)

Remember that one time? :lol:

*runs away :ph34r:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427205340' post='2727102']
We're not being secretive. We have a rule that moderating decisions are only discussed with the member in question and the moderating team. This rule is for everybody and exceptions are not made. Many decisions are fairly hum-drum and most members would either not be bothered or welcome them. For example the banning of people trying to con members in the market place, We're often under attack from scammers and certain members of the mod team spend an awful lot of time and effort getting to the bottom of things while trying to maintain the marketplace as a safe and impartial environment, but that kind of stuff is not sexy and has not got the same attention the banning of WPD has.

There is quite a rigid (IMHO) structure of warnings and no member would be banned without them either knowing why or having a long history leading up to the ban. While you may think the mods are being secretive, I'd say the banning of any member is only the business of the mods and the member, so maybe members are just being nosey?

WPD is free to post whatever he likes on social media elsewhere, but again you are only getting one side of the story and then from his perspective. [b]Who is to say whether he is telling the whole truth?[/b]

To any member who is not happy with the direction of the forum (especially the ones in self imposed exile) I'd say get involved. It's the members who make the place and either you can sit around moaning about it or you could lead from the front and be one of the 'good' posters that we appear to be in need of.
[/quote]

Er, the mods are! You can't on the one hand say, "We couldn't possibly tell you why we banned someone" and on the other hand imply that they are lying with their side of the story, it just makes you look like a politician (sorry, that was the worst thing I could think of!).

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427207946' post='2727167']
Personally I've never signed up to FB or Twitter either but I'm aware that millions have and it's obvious that there is a platform right there for doing all the stuff that established current sites like this and lots of others for a whole range of interets serve. I bet they are a pain to moderate though, almost 'ungovernable' I'd have thought. As I'm not on either I'm not even sure how they are administered, bans dished out etc - anyone?
[/quote]

FB allows sub groups where a person who sets up a page becomes admin....they then run it and accept members in a closed group. It can be useful, but people are tiring of the so called intrusion of FB rules.
The people who formed it have made their money and users may or may not move on when they find something else.
The trick to FB is to be careful what info you publish as with all these online things... knowledge is power and has value, IMO..

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1427207369' post='2727150']
It's an interesting point made about alternative social media and if it becomes the standard practice in future for like minded folks with common interests to use stuff like facebook groups then ultimately the days of internet fora will be numbered. I think we're a way off that yet though.
[/quote]

I'm on several FB groups. You have an admin who can delete stuff and PM people but the big difference is there are a lot of meet ups and everyone uses their real name.

Here there are many people I'm unlikely to ever meet and if I did I would meet them under their real name, not an alias.

Do away with forum aliases and make avatar a photo I your face and a lot of the animosity (if there is that much) would disappear overnight.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1427213886' post='2727318']

Do away with forum aliases and make avatar a photo I your face and a lot of the animosity (if there is that much) would disappear overnight.
[/quote]I agree with that.

[/quote]

Interesting point. Though I suspect if I were to insert a photo of my face as my avatar most of the current membership would probably disappear overnight...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427208395' post='2727176']But who decides if the mods have acted "reasonably" as you put it, you?[/quote]

Who watches the watchmen?

I think it's Ped and CrazyKiwi.

It's OK.

Don't worry.

Just keep quiet and drink the kool aid.

[/quote]

I fear if I put up my real gorgeous likeness, I would be stalked relentlessly.........AYE RIGHT!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1427214896' post='2727350']
As a side note, this always amuses me, we're not idiots - despite what you may think:

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5l8x9gx5laiqx1/Screenshot%202015-03-24%2016.33.36.png?raw=1[/IMG]
[/quote]

?