Why become a member? ×

Strings - do you routinely replace?

Nicko

My main bass is getting on for a year old, and I've never changed the strings. My other bass had a set up and strings replaced about the same time. On my six string guitars I only really bothered changing strings if I couldn't keep them in tune - normally the unwound ones would get dirty or corroded but on my basses the strings still sound OK. Do you regularly replace strings? Am I just a lazy slob?

Depends. Generally rounds need changing more often than flats, but there are some that like the sound of old rounds. It's a very personal thing and whatever works for you is right. I don't bother unless I want to try a different brand or gauge - which I frequently do - but I have a bass with flats on it that haven't been changed for years and it sounds great.

I like really bright sounding roundwounds but I find if I use Elixir strings they tend to sound "fresh" for a good 6 months before I notice any real decrease in sound quality.

When I used other brands though I found myself changing regularly (practically whenever I could afford a new pack of strings). It's all relevant though. If you don't like a less bright zingy sound there's no real need to change strings often.

Nickel rounds, about every six months when I feel the intonation or tension maybe going.
Flats, until I break a string or fancy trying something different. About four years now on Sadowsky's, and still sounding good. :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='skywalker' timestamp='1423053803' post='2680004']
I have just replaced two year old TI Jazz Flats with new TI Jazz Flats (on a Squier CV Jazz) and the difference is remarkable.
[/quote]

Two year old !!!!?? :huh: They have only just broken in. I had TI Flats on my bass for a little longer....ten years.

As has been mentioned, strings are a very personal matter, both in terms of type, brand and when you change them.

I'd gladly take your "old" TI's off of your hands. ;)

I have another bass strung with rounds and I replace those after about four to six months.

Routinely? Yes every time I get a bass :rolleyes: I always fit a new set of flats & that's it for a very long time.

I like to match my string to the feel of a bass - usually that's GHS Precision Flats 55 - 105 on a P-bass 1&3/4" neck. Status HotWire Flats 45 - 105 on P-bass 1&5/8" neck & TI JF344 43 - 100 on Jazz bass 1&1/2" neck. I love the Nylon Tapewounds on Fretless, GHS or LaBella, (Black or White), 50 - 105.

It's not a strict formula I stick rigidly to - but it works for me :D & I can't remember last time I replaced a set, I don't play as much as many folks though :)

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423054359' post='2680018']
I think what I'm getting at is whether you change because you think you should.
[/quote]

Well... I do change them when I think I should, but the answer you're looking for is 'no'.

Edited by discreet

I usually only change strings if I want to try different ones, rather than because the ones fitted have aged. I've been wavering between flats and rounds for years - I hear and feel the advantages of both so it has largely depended upon what type of band I am in which I have used. Currently I've decided that I want the sound of old rounds that have lost their zing but still more attack than flats, so I'm not changing any of my strings any time soon. Well, not until the band situation changes again, anyway.

Every 3-4 months with D'addario Flexsteels (and Prosteels) I find they keep that fresh sound and feel for that timespan, but then again depends on brand. I find Rotos and Ernie Ball Slinkies die within a week.

Edited by 40hz

Gigging every weekend and lucky to get 3 gigs and a rehearsal out of a set of most steel rounds. I must have acidic sweat or summat and as soon as they start to dull they have to go.
However, i have recently discovered a new brand that stays lovely and zingy much longer than usual so have switched all my basses in to those. Getting about 5 gigs out of them it seems. Happy days.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1423067252' post='2680284']
However, i have recently discovered a new brand that stays lovely and zingy much longer than usual so have switched all my basses in to those. Getting about 5 gigs out of them it seems. Happy days.
[/quote]

Is the make a trade secret or summat? Go on, you can tell us, no-one else will know. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr Arkadin

I'll change my stainless rounds when they feel off..and that is normally before they go off totally soundwise.
So, in terms of time, that is about 6 weeks, altho cleaned up strings might go earlier.
Once I've cleaned them a few times, I'll throw them out.

I have just reached 2 years out of my Elixirs. I gig on average twice a month and rehearse every week for about 4 hours, so they get used a bit. I still like the sound and feel of them, so I'm reluctant to change them just for the sake of it. Although I feel like I should, 2 years seems far too long?

Jas

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1423053873' post='2680007']
I like really bright sounding roundwounds but I find if I use Elixir strings they tend to sound "fresh" for a good 6 months before I notice any real decrease in sound quality.

[/quote]
^
This

I have elixirs that are 6 months old now, and I am noticing they have lost their "zing" and the tension is feeling dodgy, so I will be replacing them once I've got my money from this weeks gig.

My fretless I use flats and they just go on and on and on!!!