Why become a member? ×

Strings - do you routinely replace?

Nicko

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423053207' post='2679990']
My main bass is getting on for a year old, and I've never changed the strings. My other bass had a set up and strings replaced about the same time. On my six string guitars I only really bothered changing strings if I couldn't keep them in tune - normally the unwound ones would get dirty or corroded but on my basses the strings still sound OK. Do you regularly replace strings? Am I just a lazy slob?
[/quote]

Yes. It depends on what tone you want, and what strings you're using, though. If you want a bright zingy tone, and the strings you have die quite quickly, be prepared to change strings 3 or more times in a year. If you're a more mellow+midrange player, and you're using something like half-rounds, you could easily get 9-12months out of a set.

This is based on use of maybe 10 hours a week.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423220790' post='2682306']
That's why most of my strings get changed... well, you have to try 'em all, don't you? :)
[/quote]

Indeed! I had half rounds on my Jazz bass for a while. I changed them after a while, simply because I wanted to see what some other set of strings was like.

No.

Reasons I change:
1) not happy with sound of a bass so try something different
2) buy a "new" bass and it comes with them or it needs a set up

Never change because I think I have to. I keep the strings and they often get cycled around the others as an experiment.

My main basses have 3 year old Sadowsky Blue Labels and 5 year old TI Flats.