Why become a member? ×

Basses In/Basses Out 2014 - And What You've Learned......

spongebob

Out:

No basses
One accordion
One banjo

In:

No basses (I was going to say Duesenberg, but that was last year - where does the time go?)
One Roland digital accordion
One much nicer banjo
Several Zoom pedals, before I settled on the M60B
A set of decent round wounds for my Precision, which have replaced the TI flats that were killing the sound :-)

What have I learnt? That I'm mostly happy with the basses I have - like Mick McCarthy, I don't see much out there to make an improvement for the money I have to spend.

This year has been the most active for the last 5 years.

Out: Celinder P Classic, EBS Neo212, Eventide Pitchfactor (as part of a wider sell off)
In: Pangborn Warlord, Status Series 5000, Yamaha MSG (x2), Ibanez TSA5, Genz Benz Shuttle 6, Zoom B3.

What I learned:
Finally learned how to set up my Shuker Headless 6 MIDI for use with an external MIDI synth module.

Also learned that there is now a disconnect between what I aspire to use and what I can realistically use given all the demands of fatherhood on my time.

Acknowledged there's specific body shape that I will always find more comfortable to play on (and it's not a shape designed by Leo Fender or Ned Steinberger), so why fight it...? A Jaydee will probably be back on the cards later this year but it will be a five string, not a four.

[b]In [/b]
Status Vintage P
Trace elliot SMX 7215
Trace elliot 1518 cab
various pedals

[b]Out[/b]
Ross FAME 15 B[size=4].. ( my backup / practice amp[/size][size=4] to make way for the bigger rig) [/size]

[b]My year[/b]

Bigger does not mean better, amp tech has come along leaps and bounds since the late 90's and i probably should have bought smaller and more modern rather than big old and what i knew.

My Korean Epi T bird's a keeper , I've got a real gem compared to what they make now.
Sound comes as much from familiarity with your instrument, I know how to make that particular bass sing' where all the sweet spots and tones are for each style i play and a new bass does not always improve that until im as good with it .

Digitech pedals eat batteries, I need to work out 9 volt power supply stuff because having my pedal fail during Uptown funk is in no way funky.

Basses In

Thunderbird IV
Tokai Hardpuncher
Rockburn Precision copy (freebie!)

Gear In

Ashdown MiBass 220
Yamaha 01v

Basses out -

Gear Out -

Marshall 1960A 4x12

What I've learned...

In a live rock band setting a cheap P-bass copy CAN cut it!
The above cheap bass WILL kill your shoulder!
My Thunderbird is probably surplus to requirements
An 01v is STILL an incredible mixing desk

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]IN (at the moment):- A 70's Antoria EB-3 type bass, which is in a renovation state at present. Being a luther I buy in knackered instruments and renovate / improve on them. This is such a project. It's an everything type job, ie: total strip and repaint, new pickups, new bridge, new machine heads, new wiring and pots (new everything) and a refret. As you may be aware, early Antoria was built in the Ibanez factory and I wouldn't normally go to such expense on incoming instruments unless they were of high value, but this one I find a bit quirky and may find a place in my collection (I do normally sell them). What do you reckon to metal flake yellow as a colour? Quirky or too much?[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Out:- Not really applicable this bit, as the ones I sell are not personal.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Learned: Having been in the muso business for over 40 years I've learned a hell of a lot, but this forum has taught me that most of you guys (including me) have a great respect for the Precision Bass.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5]Knowledge / Advice I would pass on:- We each develop a particular tone in our heads that we have as an ideal. Every time we use a new or different bass, we tweek and alter controls to get as close as we can to that ideal. It can save you a hell of a lot of money if you learn that Scale Length, String Type (round or flat), The Density of Body & Neck Wood (crucial) and Pickup Sensitivity are all the important factors and not the Name on the Headstock. When set up well, there are so many makes out there that will give you your ideal sound and you probably already own one.[/size][/font]

IN: Rob Allen MB-2 (amazing bass), Phil Jones Bass Buddy

OUT: EBMM SUB fretless

I've learnt that I can sing lead vocals and front a band (with the right encouragement) and that taking on things you wouldn't normally do (see previous vocal comment) can be surprisingly very rewarding.

OUT: Palm bay pacific 4 string (or was it the atlantic? i always mix em up)

IN: Xylem 'yggdrasil' 4 string
line 6 G30 (not a bass but new never the less)

What ive learned.........
The g30 really is a great piece of kit and thoroughly idiot proof too, just like a cable........ without the cable.
upon receiving my first custom bass i was concerned over the price, playability and value for money, especially when seeing how many custom creations change hands on this very forum. but get it right and it really is worth every penny. I cant recommend Xylem basses enough, if you are interested in one, don't be put off by the price or wait, it really is worth it.
Also you shouldnt necessarily bother using a big stack of cabs just because they are there.

IN: Status Streamline

OUT: Warwick Thumb NT, Spector Euro 4

I've finally learnt that there's little value in holding onto good basses if you aren't playing them. Consequently the above two basses were sold to free up funds for other stuff I wanted, including the inbound Status Streamline. I've also sold a TC Electronic RH450 and bought a second Mark Bass Momark amp having realised that a less complex amp EQ and no compression works best for me.

Happy New Year to all!

Regards, Gaz

No bass stuff in or out this last 12 months.

The only in musically was an acoustic Epiphone guitar that a friend of mine rescued from a skip. What have I learned? If someone puts a guitar in a skip, there's probably a reason for it :lol:

Edited by clauster

[b]Basses:[/b]
OUT: My tomato soup bitsa Jazz based around a 1992 Squier Japan backup bass I hardly ever played...
IN: BB1200 from 1977 - only the most amazing ebay accidental buy ever!

[b]Learned: [/b]Yamaha make good stuff!

[b]Skinny string things:[/b]
OUT: Yamaha SG400 plus a Line 6 wee amp
IN: a special acoustic....

[b]Learned: [/b]I'm still trying to learn guitar and sold a dreadnaught the previous year and kept the electric as it was easier to play... it sat and gathered dust. So that went. I soon got an itch for a guitar and decided to get a smaller bodied acoustic for fingerpicking. You know the unbranded random stuff you see on ebay.... saw something in one of the photos and took a £300 gamble... that paid off with an amazing copy of a early martin scalloped braced OM (I think) hand made by a fairly well known luthier..... man does it sound sweet and is probably as close to a Fodera standard instrument as I'll ever afford - even if it's not a bass!

[b]Amps:[/b]
OUT: Tecamp M210
Roland D-Bass 210
Ashdown APM1000
Tecamp Puma 1000
Warwick Hellborg Preamp

[b]IN: [/b]
Roland D-Bass 210
Ashdown APM1000
Warwick Hellborg Preamp
ACME B2
Thunderfunk 750a
Zoom B3

[b]Learned: [/b]Still not found what I'm looking for.....but a bit closer to finding it. anyone want to buy a thunderfunk or ACME? :D
Oh and the Zoom B3 is a pretty good little box.....

In a more benevolent parallel universe, I would have acquired top-end examples of J and P basses, a Rickenbacker and a fretless Wal.
As it is, my G&L can do a passable impersonation of some of those, so I can wait.
I'm consoling myself with effects.
First, an MXR bass fuzz. Then, for Xmas, the Ravish Sitar. This is supposed to be for six strings. But I don't see why they should have all the fun.
This will get a post of its own, when I've got my head around the settings a bit more.

In & out:

Dingwall Combustion
Dingwall AB1 4-string
ACG Graft Finn 4
Sei Offset Flambuoyant 5 Fretless
ACG Graft Recurve 5 Fretless

Out:
ACG Graft J Type 4

Learning points:
Although I don't get on with fretted 5ers, fretless 5ers are definitely more for me - ACG FL 5er could well be ordered next year.
Dingwalls are not for me.

Any concerned citizens may be relieved to know that I have not lost the faith re ACGs; a couple of higher spec models are in build :)

Basses in: Yamaha BB110s, Harley Benton Standard P bass copy.
Amp: Ashdown MAG 300 2X10

Basses oot: Yamaha TRBX304, Yamaha RBX
Amp: TC BG 250. This was the limited edition "Apache" model as it was sending out smoke signals one saturday afternoon just before a gig.

What I have learned this year....

Just because a bass is cheap doesn`t mean it`s crap. Ashdown amps are the ones for me. Yamaha makes the best P bass, they really do... :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

Basses In: Sadowsky Metro HPJ, Westfield 24" scale Precision for grandson.

Basses Out: None - they've just gone under the bed.

What I learned:-

1. Sadowsky Metros are really nice as the necks suit my small hands and you can get a good one for a sensible price.

2. Don't really need a 5-string anymore as I can get by on a 4-string with a drop-D tuner.

3. Since I started depping in an Elvis tribute band I have much greater admiration for Jerry Scheff and his style.

Out:
Lakland 55-01
Galien Kreuger 115 and 410 cabs
(The above going on sale soon)
Roland Bass Cube
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II

In:
TC Electronics BH250
Warwick LWA1000
Barefaced Big Baby II 3rd Gen
Warwick Streamer $$ 5er 2008
Warwick Dolphin SN 5er 2003

What I have learnt in 2014:
Basschat is a great source of inspiration and GAS
Bass Bashes are great for trying out great gear and meeting excellent folk
My back does not like lugging heavy kit up stairs any more
You can never have too many pretty lights
Warwick make some lovely kit
So do Barefaced

Edited by Marillionred

It's been a busy year...

Out:
Two singers, one drummer
A lovely MIM P bass that I still miss

In:
One singer, one drummer
New set list
Full time job which clashes with getting to grips with the above
Two SGC Nanyo Bass Collection four strings (one a very satisfying project to bring it back from the brink)
One Sei 5 string
One Dingwall super p/j which is now my go-to bass

What have I learned? That I enjoy playing guitar but will always be a bass player first. That my tolerance for over loud guitarists is now worn paper thin. That I think I'm ready for a new challenge and as soon as I can cut down on my stupid 5 hour a day commute, I'll be looking for another band.

Oh, and that I really, really should quit smoking

Started the year with my old Washburn Chicago series and a trans red Musicman Sterling 4H...

In: ESP 205SM

Out: ESP205SM, Sterling 4H
In: Warwick Thumb 5BO

Out: Warwick 5BO
In: Dingwall Z3

Got the ESP to see how I got on with 5-string basses, we got on well so I achieved a long term dream to own a Thumb which means the Sterling had to go too.

Found out that the neck profile on the Thumb and neck-drop were just not my bag :(

Bass Direct had a stunning Dingwall Z3 come in over the holidays and a new job meant I could afford it... Fantastic end to the year. I suspect I won't be needing anything else.

[b]In and Out:[/b]
Various. No-one reads these lists anyway.

[b]What I learned in 2014:[/b]
You don't have to exclusively restrict yourself to white basses.
GAS is ultimately self-defeating. Learn to play instead.
Don't believe anything anyone tells you on a public forum.
Never wipe your arse with a broken bottle.